Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro

LS3 Machine

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Ipad

Hi everyone,

I've owned an iPad since it launched back in 2010, and last april i upgraded my original iPad with the "New iPad". In the last few months however, I've been questioning whether I really need it anymore. I mostly use it to read, and some occasional gaming. Whenever I travel, I find myself carrying my MacBook with me as well because my needs can't be met with the iPad itself. I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?

Thanks,
Pietro

We need more information:

Do you use the Ipad as a hotspot?

Do you read magazines on it?

Do you have a smartphone that you use for email or hot spotting?

You really just have to look at what YOU use it for, and decide if you can do without the Ipad, and get by with the other devices you have.

I travel a lot, and I get a lot of down-time, so I need all the toys.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide, and why.

Last edited:

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for the quick response. I think I might just not use it and whenever I am about to grab it ask myself what for and if I can do without it.

I will let you know my final decision.

Thanks,
Pietro

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Well i always say if you are using something then it worth the money if are aren't using the product then its a complete waste of money and you should sell it and get some money back for it at the end of the day if its doing nothing then you are losing money.I only keep things now that i use anything else i either throw away or sell and get some money back from and use the money for something else.Myself i have iPad mini & iPad 9'7 inch version and i use both daily for different things i use the 9'7 inch to watch media on and use the iPad mini for everything else if it comes a time that i wont be using one of them i would sell one of them straight away and get some money back for the product
At the end of the day its your money and you should make your money work for you and not keep it idle

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The kindle (I'm assuming not the kindle fire) is an exceptional tablet for reading. That is the e-ink make reading a breeze. With the paperwhite version you can even easily read in low light conditions.

With that said, I 'd have a hard time spending over hundred dollars on a kindle because it does only one thing (one thing well however). I spent a little more and got a iPad mini.

In your case, for a hundred dollars more you can get a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire and get full tablet experience.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Pietro

Only you know how you utilise a device. If you think you aren't using it in any meaningful way, and would prefer or feel happy with another solution then do so. But asking totally random strangers without any knowledge of you or your usage or any reason to care one way or the other, it's just utterly moribund.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Pietro

To answer your original question, I don't think anyone needs an iPad because it's a luxury. With that being said, the Kindle is much more superior when it comes to reading. I have the paperwhite and I experience zero eye strain when using it. Also, when you buy a Kindle, you will get access to the Lending library where you can rent 1 book per month. If you only use your Ipad for reading books, then it's not being used to it's potential and you are better off selling it while the value is still high.

jenny02

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Pietro

I know what you mean. I have an ipad and use it also to play and read. An ipad is not enough.An ipad is just luxury. if you dontt really need, then I would sell it. Just depends on your needs ;)
Greets.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
No one NEEDS an electronic device of any sorts. (well unless it connected to your heart)

Do you really have a use for an iPad, would be the better question.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Whether an iPad is a luxury depends on what you do with it. Some people think that just because they have little use for an iPad no one else would either. I use both my iPads for work and for many other things that don't make money but are important to my lifestyle.

I can understand someone who has never used an iPad asking this question, but if you've had one for 2 years and you don't know yet whether you need it ....???

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was wondering if you guys think it would be better for me to sell my iPad (I already have a potential buyer) and just buy a kindle for reading. Is there anyone that has done something like this? Any regrets?
Even if someone has your best bet is to try the Kindle and see if it suits you better. Preference varies quite a bit from person to person and it's impossible to tell if you'd be happier with the Kindle or the iPad based solely on your posts.

I would argue that you need at least one computer whether its a PC, smartphone or tablet.
It's not a basic need but that's clearly not what the OP is asking. Unfortunately, the OP really doesn't provide enough information for us to even make a reasonable attempt at a recommendation. It's not just a matter of need but a matter of preference as well.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I would argue that you need at least one computer whether its a PC, smartphone or tablet.

Again I would only call it a useful tool and still not a neccessity.
Their are currently millions of people around the globe that are without said devices who get along in life just fine without them. Heck remember life not to long ago in 80's and early 90's, we were just fine....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Again I would only call it a useful tool and still not a neccessity.
Their are currently millions of people around the globe that are without said devices who get along in life just fine without them. Heck remember life not to long ago in 80's and early 90's, we were just fine....

Life went on before the written language, but would you say that people don't know how to write? While you don't technically don't need one, you will be at a disadvantage not having one of your own.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
We got along without anaesthetic, dental care, sanitation and suchlike too, but now that those things exist we prefer not to get along without them.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Life went on before the written language, but would you say that people don't know how to write? While you don't technically don't need one, you will be at a disadvantage not having one of your own.

My point is, you wont croke over and die the moment its not avaliable to you.
I personally know people who do not have a single computing device. Although they lack certain convenient advantages to get some basic things done, their overal lifestyle isn't severly compromised. Its the equivalent of not having a car..

jona2d

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Last edited:

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Most people who own an iPad do not need one. The question is do you want to have an iPad? Wanting something is different than needing something.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Nobody needs an iPad. Remember that.

Most people who own an iPad do not need one. The question is do you want to have an iPad? Wanting something is different than needing something.

As a person who believes there is no difference between want and need when it comes to certain things in life (it's true, I am that bad especially if I really want it!), there is a fine line between want and need sometimes with these lovely devices. I'm a happy mini owner and I got mine for utility more than I got it for the games (though that is a perfect reason to need want one<grin>) - I decided on the mini because my Kindle (which I LOVE) doesn't display PDFs well, and for my studies I needed something that displayed PDFs well, rather than either sitting at some desktop PC to read the PDF (and there are a lot to be read each week) or printing out sometimes reams of paper so I can sit comfortably on my sofa at home while reading them.

I admit (there is a chance, albeit very small) I could do without my mini (I got my first degree without one), but then we could say that about everything which provides us some fun utility in life, couldn't we? I mean, we could simply have boxes in our kitchen in which we put a big block of ice and store foods that need to be chilled - we don't *need* a refrigerator you plug into the wall, do we? We have kerosene and candles, so we don't *need* lamps you plug into the wall, do we?

For me wants and needs associated with consumer electronics products are the same blurred, and I'm sure others must think this way too??

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012

I admit (there is a chance, albeit very small) I could do without my mini .......

So what did you do prior to April 2010?

My point is, no one needs these freaking things. Do I love my iPad? Well I'm very attached to it. I use it for everything from reading, studying, taking handwritten notes, surfing the internet, communicating, etc. It's extremely convenient.

But if all of the world's iPads suddenly disappeared, give me a piece of paper, a book, a pen, a laptop, text messaging, and I'm golden. Will I be sad? For a little bit. But I'm sure when I'm 80 years old I will look back on my 3 year experience with the iPad and not think that it was the highlight of my life.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I use my iPad more than any other piece of tech I own (including iPhone).

If you need a MacBook with you most of the time anyway, then something like the kindle would do you well for reading.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
But if all of the world's iPads suddenly disappeared, give me a piece of paper, a book, a pen, a laptop, text messaging, and I'm golden. Will I be sad? For a little bit. But I'm sure when I'm 80 years old I will look back on my 3 year experience with the iPad and not think that it was the highlight of my life.

What makes you think you get to keep text messaging if our iPads all disappear? :confused: Seems only fair if we have to give up our iPads you'd have to give up text messaging. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.