Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hichisky

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Recently I had my iphone exchanged due to the vertical lines issue. With my new iphone, I have just noticed a dead pixel mid way vertically near the left edge. I am unsure how many screens are actually perfect. Should I bother taking possible risks in exchanging again? Would they (genius bar) even consider it a good reason for replacement? It is a small spot, but OCD has the effect of making it come out. :)

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If it bothers you it's worth a try! Personally, it would indeed bother me but I would get over it, seems like more work getting it replaced than living with it.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I'll quote myself here: Is it supposed to come out of the box with a dead pixel, small or otherwise? If the answer is no, then you know what to do.

Hichisky

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Thanks people. I just thought to look at the screen under a microscope. I come to find out that no pixels are actually dead. In fact, there is a particle between the LCD and backlight. Though it could be anything, it looks like skin cells. :confused:

Nonetheless, it covers about 2 pixels worth of the backlight so the end result is two pixels look dead. Would have never known otherwise had I not magnified it.

I have tried shaking the phone in attempt to rattle the particle away, but thats not going to work without destroying the phone. I guess I will take it back to Apple to see what they will do. Wonder if I should even mention it is a particle given that the end result is the same?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is it supposed to come out of the box with a dead pixel, small or otherwise? If the answer is no, then you know what to do.

If people know the answer to that then the thousands of "Is this Normal" posts would disappear! :)

To be fair, at the dawn of laptops, people were told, "hey, hundreds of thousands of pixels on a screen, there bound to be a couple of bad ones" but of course time has changed and now it's not acceptable to have a single bad pixel.

Answering your last post, OP, ANYTHING that is between your eyes and the screen that cannot simply be wiped off is not acceptable. But, I am not making the trip so your choice.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
If people know the answer to that then the thousands of "Is this Normal" posts would disappear! :)

To be fair, at the dawn of laptops, people were told, "hey, hundreds of thousands of pixels on a screen, there bound to be a couple of bad ones" but of course time has changed and now it's not acceptable to have a single bad pixel.

Answering your last post, OP, ANYTHING that is between your eyes and the screen that cannot simply be wiped off is not acceptable. But, I am not making the trip so your choice.

Agreed. Honestly I wish I were the type of person that could overlook something like a dead pixel. Unfortunately, I can't. It would bother me every time I looked at the screen. But that's just me. The OP needs to make his own calls as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.