Being too picky?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hichisky, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Recently I had my iphone exchanged due to the vertical lines issue. With my new iphone, I have just noticed a dead pixel mid way vertically near the left edge. I am unsure how many screens are actually perfect. Should I bother taking possible risks in exchanging again? Would they (genius bar) even consider it a good reason for replacement? It is a small spot, but OCD has the effect of making it come out. :)

2. macrumors 68030

Spink10

If it bothers you - go to Apple see what they will do.

3. macrumors 68000

TyPod

If it bothers you it's worth a try! Personally, it would indeed bother me but I would get over it, seems like more work getting it replaced than living with it.

4. macrumors 6502

I'll quote myself here: Is it supposed to come out of the box with a dead pixel, small or otherwise? If the answer is no, then you know what to do.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks people. I just thought to look at the screen under a microscope. I come to find out that no pixels are actually dead. In fact, there is a particle between the LCD and backlight. Though it could be anything, it looks like skin cells. :confused:

Nonetheless, it covers about 2 pixels worth of the backlight so the end result is two pixels look dead. Would have never known otherwise had I not magnified it.

I have tried shaking the phone in attempt to rattle the particle away, but thats not going to work without destroying the phone. I guess I will take it back to Apple to see what they will do. Wonder if I should even mention it is a particle given that the end result is the same?

6. macrumors 601

If people know the answer to that then the thousands of "Is this Normal" posts would disappear! :)

To be fair, at the dawn of laptops, people were told, "hey, hundreds of thousands of pixels on a screen, there bound to be a couple of bad ones" but of course time has changed and now it's not acceptable to have a single bad pixel.

Answering your last post, OP, ANYTHING that is between your eyes and the screen that cannot simply be wiped off is not acceptable. But, I am not making the trip so your choice.

7. macrumors 6502

Agreed. Honestly I wish I were the type of person that could overlook something like a dead pixel. Unfortunately, I can't. It would bother me every time I looked at the screen. But that's just me. The OP needs to make his own calls as to what is acceptable and what isn't.