Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
My iPad 2 has been suffering image retention for the past couple of months, at first it didn't bother me too much, I thought I'll wait until its near the end of its AppleCare like November time, then go get it replaced.

Unfortunately I've managed to flip the iPad on a Tiled floor. No sound of crack but turn it over and there's large cracks protruding the screen in 3 of the 4 corners.

Now obviously I know apple isn't likely to replace an iPad for free because of this, but what would they be like due to the image retention?

Also I am still on 5.0 so far I have refused to update my iPad to 6 because of maps and YouTube, and the fact that there's hardly any changes for iPad 2 users and I love the way it works just fine. Would I be likely to get a replacement that came preloaded with 6.0?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
My iPad 2 has been suffering image retention for the past couple of months, at first it didn't bother me too much, I thought I'll wait until its near the end of its AppleCare like November time, then go get it replaced.

Unfortunately I've managed to flip the iPad on a Tiled floor. No sound of crack but turn it over and there's large cracks protruding the screen in 3 of the 4 corners.

Now obviously I know apple isn't likely to replace an iPad for free because of this, but what would they be like due to the image retention?

How will you be able to prove that the "image retention" was not due to the drop?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
How will you be able to prove that the "image retention" was not due to the drop?

Agreed. You are going to have a hard time proving that the "image retention" was not a result of the damage to the screen. But I would suggest taking it in to the Apple store and seeing what they will do. They might be nice enough to change it out for free, but I wouldn't count on it.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010

I have taken pictures before the date it was broken showing the iPad with retention.

The two things are not related. It's like asking how will you prove a faded shirt is not due to a tear in the material.

As darngooddesign pointed out, they're two entirely independent factors. One is not caused by the other. the screen is still entirely functional despite the cracks.

Maybe I should ask then if people have had their iPads replaced due to image retention solely?

I understand apple won't replace an iPad for free due to broken glass but on the merit of image retention I'm hoping they will.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I understand apple won't replace an iPad for free due to broken glass but on the merit of image retention I'm hoping they will.

You are correct that Apple typically won't replace an iPad for free that has broken glass. It doesn't matter what else is wrong with it. They won't even replace the battery if there is physical damage. Of course they do make exceptions so it doesn't hurt to ask.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks to those who have helped.
Going to booka genius bar appointment but nearest one is week away.
Does anyone else have any advice or similar experience?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the damaged screen will trump the screen retention, that is they may be unwilling to address the screen retention because the crack. While it may be unrelated its possible apple may lump it together.

Good luck on your visit to the genius and hopefully things turn out well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.