Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clearbags24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Australia
ok so i own an ipad and i also have an old useless windows laptop that i never use. I love my ipad (3rd Gen) and i use it everyday, but i want to buy a MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. Basically because i don't know much about them i haven't bought one because i assumed that the ipad was more than enough. I need someone who has had 1st hand experience with one, to justify me buying one. all of my music, movies etc are on my desktop PC but would like to make them portable and i don't think that the ipad would be large enough to handle this. Also i travel a lot and would like to be able to take my portable HDD to watch movies via USB - I know this sounds alot like me answering my own question but would really like someone to give me all the PRO's to owning a MacBook Pro :apple:

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
ok so i own an ipad and i also have an old useless windows laptop that i never use. I love my ipad (3rd Gen) and i use it everyday, but i want to buy a MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. Basically because i don't know much about them i haven't bought one because i assumed that the ipad was more than enough. I need someone who has had 1st hand experience with one, to justify me buying one. all of my music, movies etc are on my desktop PC but would like to make them portable and i don't think that the ipad would be large enough to handle this. Also i travel a lot and would like to be able to take my portable HDD to watch movies via USB - I know this sounds alot like me answering my own question but would really like someone to give me all the PRO's to owning a MacBook Pro :apple:

First, if you're going to spend all that money you might as well buy the 15". Internally it's a much more powerful machine with a Quad core i7 processor instead of a Duel Core i5 that the 13" has. Plus it has a Discrete Graphic card that the 13" doesn't have. The base model also has 256 gigs SSD compared to the 128 SSD that the 13" has. For all that money the 13" seems to be underspecced

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
Why not go to an apple store and play with it in person and see if you like it, it sounds like you dont , you could also wait until haswell comes out around around june

clearbags24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Australia
so basically im going to be using this machine as an entertainment unit to take with me on my travels and it will probably replace my desktop PC at some stage. All i really do on all of my computers is web browsing, downloading music and movies and word process. Could the 15" MacBook Pro be a good solution to my needs?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
All i really do on all of my computers is web browsing, downloading music and movies and word process. Could the 15" MacBook Pro be a good solution to my needs?
yes, if you want the larger display, and for the most part an iPad can suit your needs as well (depending on how complex/indepth your word processing is

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
so basically im going to be using this machine as an entertainment unit to take with me on my travels and it will probably replace my desktop PC at some stage. All i really do on all of my computers is web browsing, downloading music and movies and word process. Could the 15" MacBook Pro be a good solution to my needs?

To be honest, that's overkill. I can't see a real justification for someone that just wants to do the typical web browsing and music for a $2k machine, even though it is a beauty. A 13" MBP (non-Retina), or even a MacBook Air, are both *FAR* cheaper (even more so if you buy refurb), and would just as likely handle your needs.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
To be honest, that's overkill. I can't see a real justification for someone that just wants to do the typical web browsing and music for a $2k machine, even though it is a beauty. A 13" MBP (non-Retina), or even a MacBook Air, are both *FAR* cheaper (even more so if you buy refurb), and would just as likely handle your needs.

I agree, really if those are all the tasks you do with computers you can get by even with just an iPad + keyboard. Maybe add some external storage, but otherwise an iPad is capable enough of doing all of those things well enough.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'd suggest the 13" Macbook Air with a hard drive upgrade. I have the 13" Air and it's perfect for light usage, but not as perfect for programming on, and running virtual machines, and the adobe suite, etc... All that is where the MBP comes into play.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Op do you have the cash or are you going to try financing it in some way?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

The rMBP may be overkill. Consider the MacBook Air as it is very portable and the 13" has a 1440x900 screen.

AroundTheFur922

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
NJ
I am coming from a very similar situation and found that the 13" standard MBP served my needs quite adequately. I do moderate video editing and the integrated GPU and stock 5,400RPM HDD and dual core i5 are perfectly responsive so far. I can imagine this laptop would be amazing with a RAM and SSD bump and for your stated needs would be perfect.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

A retina MBP is overkill for your uses in my opinion, but that's me.

Why do you want a retina? A macbook air could easily do all that for less money... Heck a $200 netbook can playback music and movies just fine.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
A retina MBP is overkill for your uses in my opinion, but that's me.

Why do you want a retina? A macbook air could easily do all that for less money... Heck a $200 netbook can playback music and movies just fine.

Bad part of the Air is the limited storage - he'll have to lug around an external HD everywhere he goes.

Paskell

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
IMO I would get a Mac mini if you plan for it to replace your old pc and save money yet have a powerful Mac and use your iPad for your traveling media.. I personally have a Mbp and I never use it outside of my basement.. That's overkill for just videos for travel etc think long term if you will need a desktop to if not I still think its overkill to get rmbp for your uses but that's just me

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Critical element: Exactly how much storage need? What's the size of that external HD u plan to carry?

For everybody: Can one hookup an external HD to an iPad?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
You should have opted for a classic macbook pro, a high end screen with integrated graphics doesnt make it shock and awe.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada

If this is all you need it for, buy a good late 2011~2012 Refurb.. Wonderful computers for the price!! :apple:

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008

A Retina MBP is a waste of money if that's what you're using it for. Also, think of the limitations a retina MBP has in terms of storage, while the extra power it has will remain unused in your case.

You'd be better off buying a regular MBP. A refurb is a great deal. And if money's burning a hole in your wallet, load it up with extra RAM and a SSD: you'll basically get the same result.

clearbags24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Australia
wow thanks to everyone for your comments. I can see alot of you are saying get a standard MBP without the retina and update the HDD. I think that this is going to be the best solution for me as it would have the power to replace my desktop and it has the versatility to be mobile if need be. I download alot of movies and definatley will need my external HDD i use a 2TB WD model and its nearly 3/4 full. I have no issues carting this around with me and to my knowledge there is no easy way to send the media off this HDD to the ipad without using a laptop or buying a WIFI model that the ipad can connect to. so the previous generation MBP, i think is going to be the best option for me. :apple:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I disagree. 15" rMBP is the best MB, let alone laptop, I've ever owned.

To those saying retina is overkill for you... Possibly, but... Graphic designers have designed on non retina for years so its not like its a new requirement for them to have retina. Retina, in any case, is a luxury addition that is well worth it IMO.

If you do go regular MBP route, do yourself a favor and at the very least, get an SSD if possible. Makes a world of difference.

clearbags24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Australia
I disagree. 15" rMBP is the best MB, let alone laptop, I've ever owned.

To those saying retina is overkill for you... Possibly, but... Graphic designers have designed on non retina for years so its not like its a new requirement for them to have retina. Retina, in any case, is a luxury addition that is well worth it IMO.

If you do go regular MBP route, do yourself a favor and at the very least, get an SSD if possible. Makes a world of difference.

i own an Ipad 3rd Gen, which obviously has the R display and it's awesome, do you think that i would notice the difference if i bought the standard MBP and compared the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.