Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotmarckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I've been considering trading my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 15" C2D 2.53 GHz 8GB laptop for an iMac for it's screen size – and because I'm already using my laptop as a desktop pretty much and I have a MacBook Air for portability. I've gotten a hit on Craigslist to trade for a 2008 iMac 24" C2D 3.06GHz 4GB.

What are you opinions on this? Should I make the trade? Why or why not?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I wouldn't do it. It's like trading in this year's tech for something from last year. Less RAM in there too.

Agreed.

You're probably looking to do a flat out trade so you don't have to spend any money, but I think you'd be better off just getting an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I use this monitor with my MBP when I want to use it in 'desktop' mode am and very happy with its performance.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I concur with the external monitor approach instead. I added a Cinema Display to my MBP and have been very happy with it. Got it dirt cheap off Craigslist. Added a full sized keyboard. Takes a few seconds to disconnect and stuff in my backpack and I'm on the road.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I've been considering trading my mid-2009 MacBook Pro 15" C2D 2.53 GHz 8GB laptop for an iMac for it's screen size – and because I'm already using my laptop as a desktop pretty much and I have a MacBook Air for portability. I've gotten a hit on Craigslist to trade for a 2008 iMac 24" C2D 3.06GHz 4GB.

What are you opinions on this? Should I make the trade? Why or why not?

No. You're making a downgrade in terms of everything but CPU speed and screen size. The RAM type is slower (DDR2 vs. DDR3). If you want a larger screen, you're much better off just buying an external monitor. Apple sells as large as a 27" LED display (just make sure you don't buy the Thunderbolt one by mistake) or you can go with literally any other brand for cheaper.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I wouldn't want a computer of that age with unknown history. The displays in these things do not last forever. With the one you already own, you know what is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.