Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Castle87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Alright so last week my (often buggy) 32 gb phone that I got on launch day finally died. I attempted to update it to IOS 6.1 and it got frozen in recovery mode. Fine.

I went to the Apple store, they gave me a new one, free of charge (initially they had tried to say I had already swapped this phone before, but I told them to check again because I never swapped it)

Anyway, I get home, new phone works good, wifi is still a problem but not to the extent the first one was, all is good.

I check the usage info on the phone, and come to find out they gave me a 16 gb phone.

I paid for a 32 gig. That phone died. So I should get a working 32 gig as a replacement. Was this just an oversight by them or are they really trying to stick me with a phone that has half the capacity?

Can I walk back into the store and try to get a 32 gig or am I pretty much screwed?

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Alright so last week my (often buggy) 32 gb phone that I got on launch day finally died. I attempted to update it to IOS 6.1 and it got frozen in recovery mode. Fine.

I went to the Apple store, they gave me a new one, free of charge (initially they had tried to say I had already swapped this phone before, but I told them to check again because I never swapped it)

Anyway, I get home, new phone works good, wifi is still a problem but not to the extent the first one was, all is good.

I check the usage info on the phone, and come to find out they gave me a 16 gb phone.

I paid for a 32 gig. That phone died. So I should get a working 32 gig as a replacement. Was this just an oversight by them or are they really trying to stick me with a phone that has half the capacity?

Can I walk back into the store and try to get a 32 gig or am I pretty much screwed?

You should have no idea getting it fixed. If you got the original from them or a legit partner, should be no biggie to look it up.

Castle87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
You should have no idea getting it fixed. If you got the original from them or a legit partner, should be no biggie to look it up.

I bought the original online from ATT, then I took that phone in last week to the nearest Apple store to get it swapped.

I'm sure I have an email receipt or some other way to prove I purchased a 32 gig back in September.

I just don't want to walk back in there and have them give me some line about how I no longer qualify for a free swap because I already swapped it last week or some other garbage.

As it stands, I paid $100 extra for a 16 gb phone.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I bought the original online from ATT, then I took that phone in last week to the nearest Apple store to get it swapped.

I'm sure I have an email receipt or some other way to prove I purchased a 32 gig back in September.

I just don't want to walk back in there and have them give me some line about how I no longer qualify for a free swap because I already swapped it last week or some other garbage.

As it stands, I paid $100 extra for a 16 gb phone.

I've swapped my iPhone 3 times already since launch, so don't worry about that. Luckily I live 5 minutes away. As long as you're under warranty, and even sometimes when you aren't, they're very cool and relaxed about stuff like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.