Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Has any progress been made on this working with "wake on wi-fi"? My iMac is connected via wi-fi only and when it goes to sleep I can no longer get in.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
Has any progress been made on this working with "wake on wi-fi"? My iMac is connected via wi-fi only and when it goes to sleep I can no longer get in.

Its my understanding that this isn't fix-able. the 'magic packet' that wake-on-lan sends doesn't work over wi-fi. Its not a mac or PC thing. I could be wrong tho...

Blarneystone

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Its my understanding that this isn't fix-able. the 'magic packet' that wake-on-lan sends doesn't work over wi-fi. Its not a mac or PC thing. I could be wrong tho...

No, you are right. This isn't something software can fix. It would require a new wireless standard with the hardware to match it.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I haven't tried LogMeIn Ignition, but I did recently purchase Splashtop Remote. I have no basis for comparison, but I am pleased with the $2.99 I spent on it. I agree that the controls are a little convoluted, but for the simple tapping that I do when using it, the controls suffice. I can't figure out how to make my auto-hidden dock appear when I try to hover, nor have I really mastered hovering at all - but again, for 95% of my use of Splashtop, all I do is click anyway.

The sound is good, the video is good also. And I, like many others on this thread, have configured it to be able to be accessed over 3G, so no complaints there. It's really not difficult.

debudebu

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
Splashtop doesn't, does anyone know if logmein allows remote vocal input via mic?

Last edited:

finchwizard

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2005
Australia
Splashtop definitely works well for the price.

But it drives me absolutely nuts that when the resolution changes, the window placement just gets screwed up something fierce. Be nice if there was a way for it to remember the window positions.

As for Ignition, it works very well, the ability to transfer files from one remote to another remote machine is pretty sweet too.
It's a tad pricey though compared. But does work well.

I just wish their Pro features (Which to my understanding aren't needed when you have the iPad app) were cheaper if you wanted to connect via a computer etc.

Mimoawi

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
The Netherlands
Crazy Remote.

I use crazy remote and it works fine from home and also from outside. I can watch SAT TV via a DVB-S card on my pc with no problem even on 3G.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
How do you wake a computer using LogMeIn?

I just got the App today, but can't figure out how to wake a computer.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2011
i have turned on blank screen and lock keyboard on my ipad but neither are working?

on LMI btw

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Splashtop WMC fix is a simple shortcut...

Enjoy my home brewed work around, does not install more crap. Create a desktop shortcut with these properties, click it twice:

Target: %windir%\ehome\eshelle.exe - window
Starts in: %windir%
Run: minimized

Clicking once, opens it, clicking second time, restores it.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I'm amused that Logmein Ignition is $129 here in Canada. WTF?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.