Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
Any rumors been posted about the minimum hardware requirements to run 10.9?

I have a mid-2007 MBP which just barely made the cut for Mountain Lion. It's merely being used as a data logging device for my weather station and surveillance cameras so no big deal if that particular laptop has to remain on 10.8. Still, I'm curious if there are any minimum hardware rumors floating around.

Well you can see other previous model as an example on the product line support dropoff. If ML was 2005 and before, it should be safe to assume 2006 would be next. And besides you don't always need to run the latest and greatest operating system. Since you are using it for data storage, you pretty much don't need to upgrade it beyond the system you are using now.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Stop developing OS X and get back to building a new Mac Pro.

Before I get flamed, I'd like to point out that that's a joke!

But now we're on the subject, I'd like to be able to run Mountain Lion, let alone OS X Moggie or whatever it's going to be called. My ancient Mac Pro 1,1 won't go beyond Lion.

#I'llGetMyCoat ;)

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
After seeing what Lion and Mountain Lion was, I am hoping for just small things:

- No more animated windows.
- No animated tableviews
- Fewer Popup messages.
- No more automatic rearrangement of files while dragging.
- No rubberband-scrolling. No reverse scrolling (which is called natural by Apple).
- Very dry UI for Mail, Calendar, AddressBook
- Mouse and keyboard response without lag.
- Backspace for going back Safari-pages.
- Spotlight without text-input lag while activating.
- No horizontal scrolling in Finder windows.
- Preferences not to change back by themselves.
- Immediate logout on desire. No more waiting for unresponsive applications or asking for connected users.
- A button for parent folder in Finder windows.
- Possibility to disable spaces or make Fullscreen in the same space with faster transition.
- QuickView less bright. Keyboard-shortcut for index in Fullscreen-Quickview.
- non-global OpenGL buffers
- Encrypted home folder instead of encrypting the whole disk.
- More applications to use Swiss-german. :)
- Possibility to turn off NotificationCenter completely without hack.

- A reliable and usable XCode. But that's a different story.

lpetrich

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
As to OSX version names, I'm reminded of the Public Beta's name: "Kodiak", after the bear.

So if they start using bear names, let's see what they could choose from.
Panda
Grizzly
Black Bear
Brown Bear
Spectacled Bear
Sun Bear
Sloth Bear
Polar Bear

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
After seeing what Lion and Mountain Lion was, I am hoping for just small things:

If you mean the 'genie' effect, you can already disable it. I believe it's in preferences somewhere, don't remember off the top of my head, but you can switch to the 'scale' effect, which is more like what Windows does. Personally, I love the genie :D

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I think the rule of thumb is to stick to even-numbered OS versions. So 10.9 will probably have a bunch of new features, and then the next version after that will be the one that's more polished, stable, and quick.

So....... will that be 10.10? OS X version 11.0? OS XI?

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

- No animated tableviews
- No rubberband-scrolling. No reverse scrolling (which is called natural by Apple).

I rather like all those things. Maybe you should go back to Windows XP?

----------

If you mean the 'genie' effect, you can already disable it. I believe it's in preferences somewhere, don't remember off the top of my head, but you can switch to the 'scale' effect, which is more like what Windows does. Personally, I love the genie :D

It gives OS X a humanistic feel, much like the sans serif fonts.

LondonIsCalling

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012
I hope Apple show some love for foreigners. We are still waiting for Siri in more languages like Portuguese. We still don't have dictation on OS X in that language. Unfortunately, Apple's list of priorities just shows love for countries with money. We had to wait 20 years to have narration on OSX in Portuguese and had it in Lion for the first time. Probably other 20 to have dictation. C'mon Apple. Show us some love. We buy your products all over the world.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Except OS X Maps will allow you to map a route from your Mac and automatically send the directions to your iPhone/iPad, so that Navigation begins when you head out.

Now that would be great! Google on the web allows you to redraw a route. I don't see a way to do that on iOS (though I haven't tried too hard). Even though it may give me 2-3 routes, they may not be ones I want to take for various reasons.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This... and iBooks (which for me personally is an even bigger deal)

Absolutely true. There are ePub readers, but nothing that can _legally_ read ePub with DRM (which is most non-free books on the iTunes store), and nothing that can read books created with iBooks Author, which is an absolute shame.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

- No animated tableviews
- Fewer Popup messages.
- No more automatic rearrangement of files while dragging.
- Very dry UI for Mail, Calendar, AddressBook
- Mouse and keyboard response without lag.
- Backspace for going back Safari-pages.
- Spotlight without text-input lag while activating.
- No horizontal scrolling in Finder windows.
- Preferences not to change back by themselves.
- Immediate logout on desire. No more waiting for unresponsive applications or asking for connected users.
- A button for parent folder in Finder windows.
- Possibility to disable spaces or make Fullscreen in the same space with faster transition.
- QuickView less bright. Keyboard-shortcut for index in Fullscreen-Quickview.
- non-global OpenGL buffers
- Encrypted home folder instead of encrypting the whole disk.
- More applications to use Swiss-german. :)
- Possibility to turn off NotificationCenter completely without hack.

- A reliable and usable XCode. But that's a different story.

Go back to command line then.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
That was quick.

This rumor bugs me on several levels. I just finally upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion last night (skipped Lion entirely) due to concerns about stability and replacing PPC apps, etc. and that cost me $20. Now they're talking about ANOTHER "major" (more like minor lately, IMO) update? I'm sure that will be another $20 and remove support for many more recent Intel machines. This is getting to be too many updates too often. I want STABLE releases, but I also don't want support left out for my machines because developers won't bother for older OS versions many times (very common with apps like Handbrake, for example in the past).

What MAJOR thing could they possibly have accomplished in the past few months that there's a rumor after just TWO Mountain Lion releases??? :rolleyes:

I think Apple is counting the $20 x 10+ MILLION customers and thinking world cruises plus a new Ferrari for all management level employees every single year from now on or something.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This rumor bugs me on several levels. I just finally upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion last night (skipped Lion entirely) due to concerns about stability and replacing PPC apps, etc. and that cost me $20. Now they're talking about ANOTHER "major" (more like minor lately, IMO) update? I'm sure that will be another $20 and remove support for many more recent Intel machines. This is getting to be too many updates too often. I want STABLE releases, but I also don't want support left out for my machines because developers won't bother for older OS versions many times (very common with apps like Handbrake, for example in the past).

What MAJOR thing could they possibly have accomplished in the past few months that there's a rumor after just TWO Mountain Lion releases??? :rolleyes:

I think Apple is counting the $20 x 10+ MILLION customers and thinking world cruises plus a new Ferrari for all management level employees every single year from now on or something.

How is once a year "too often" ? Windows is the same way.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Microsoft will call it a service pack and give it for free whereas apple calls it a new os and sell it for $20

Perhaps. There is talk that MS is going to go to yearly updates like Apple. The next MS OS, "Windows Blue" (I believe I read that somewhere), is due out possibly in the next 6 months. It is as yet unclear whether it will be a $20 upgrade or free to users of Win 8.

They need to stop trying to make OS X into an iOS. Go back to how you were before 10.7 Apple! A fast and simple, yet full of features that make more sense for a computer user wanting to be productive. I'm still on 10.6.8 only because none of the "new" **copied from iOS, cough cough** features will make my Mac any more productive or easy to use than it already is. ...

Still on 10.6.8 and not looking forward to a new OS when I purchase my new Mac sometime this year. I use Spaces for my work and a couple of programs I use require Rosetta and will never be updated.

It would be great if Apple finally decided to get with the times and upgrade OpenGL 3.2 to 4.3. I'll hope that we will see that with 10.9 but I won't except it to happen.
:apple:

I wonder if this is this dependent upon the OpenGL supported by the Intel integrated gfx chip. If so, does anyone know what the next Intel gfx chip (HD 5000) will support?

MS just killed DirectX.....

Link? I must have missed this, but I would like to read about it.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
How is once a year "too often" ? Windows is the same way.

Bologna. Windows 8 was launched over 3 years after Windows7. Windows7 came out about 2.5 years after Windows Vista and Vista came out over 6 years after Windows XP. I don't see even a single example of a ONE year update interval.

As for why, I would say Snow Leopard wasn't even working right and/or stable compared to regular Leopard until at least 10.6.4 if not 10.6.6. I waited almost a year to update for that reason. I didn't update to Lion period it was so unstable and wiped out so much software (i.e. all Rosetta PPC emulation). I'm fine with Apple doing point updates, but they're basically turning point updates into major releases and then touting it's only $20 to upgrade when Windows doesn't charge anything for those updates so it's just a marketing gimmick. Worse yet, they're using it as an excuse lately to stop support for older machines each update (probably the real reason it's being accelerated so much).

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Any rumors been posted about the minimum hardware requirements to run 10.9?

I have a mid-2007 MBP which just barely made the cut for Mountain Lion. It's merely being used as a data logging device for my weather station and surveillance cameras so no big deal if that particular laptop has to remain on 10.8. Still, I'm curious if there are any minimum hardware rumors floating around.

Might be able to narrow it down by the machines identifying themselves as running 10.9. isn't it possible to get that info as well? Maybe it's not though.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I hope there is actually some substance to this update and not just lame "siri integration" and maps stuff that nobody will ever use

ML....wow, i can post to twitter or facebook...never...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.