Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
It is weird it just stated doing it, I go to lower the volume and it just mutes the sound as I held the button down. I hope the button isn't faulty. I did just jailbreak so maybe its that causing it doubt it though.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Not a bug. A feature. If you hold the button down too long, it automatically drops the volume to the bottom. It's a shortcut to volume off, basically. You're meant to sort of short press your volume down, but if you hold it for about a second, it quickly drops. Unless I'm not understanding what you are doing. Since the topic mentions tap, yet the body of your post mentions hold.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Holding down the down-volume button for a second or two acts as a mute. It's very convenient if you have your switch set as rotation lock rather than silent.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Not a bug. A feature. If you hold the button down too long, it automatically drops the volume to the bottom. It's a shortcut to volume off, basically. You're meant to sort of short press your volume down, but if you hold it for about a second, it quickly drops. Unless I'm not understanding what you are doing. Since the topic mentions tap, yet the body of your post mentions hold.

Holding down the down-volume button for a second or two acts as a mute. It's very convenient if you have your switch set as rotation lock rather than silent.

The thing is I am not "holding" it down at all. I am just tapping it as if I want to lower the volume in increments like I always do. It is acting as if I'm holding it though....with one small tap it kills the sound completely.

The button doesn't appear stuck or anything so what could it be?

Bouhady

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
The thing is I am not "holding" it down at all. I am just tapping it as if I want to lower the volume in increments like I always do. It is acting as if I'm holding it though....with one small tap it kills the sound completely.

The button doesn't appear stuck or anything so what could it be?

I'm suffering from the same problem! I upgrade today to ios6 and the volume down bottom is muting the volume immediately on clicking , even short clicking is strait muting!
Right on the first 2 seconds after respring it's working fine and then immediately start with this problem.
It looks like a bug in the jailbreak or in one of the cydia addons.. If someone can help..

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
this happened to me once. you just press the volume button once and it mutes the volume (brings the volume slider all the way to 0). the only way i could fix it was to restore my ipad as new.

Bouhady

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
this happened to me once. you just press the volume button once and it mutes the volume (brings the volume slider all the way to 0). the only way i could fix it was to restore my ipad as new.

Ok, I'll invest my time to do so later maybe..
Meanwhile I point the problem better- there is not such a command volume=volume-1.
The basic command which relate to that command is volume=0.
Even when I'm trying to bypass this problem with activator by using other gesture, it's again muting the volume instead decreasing it by 1.
Hope that I'll be able to prevent myself from restoring again...

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

Ok, I'll invest my time to do so later maybe..
Meanwhile I point the problem better- there is not such a command volume=volume-1.
The basic command which relate to that command is volume=0.
Even when I'm trying to bypass this problem with activator by using other gesture, it's again muting the volume instead decreasing it by 1.
Hope that I'll be able to prevent myself from restoring again...

Ugh so can I restore as new and then restore from my backup? I don't really want to manually install everything again :(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ugh so can I restore as new and then restore from my backup? I don't really want to manually install everything again :(

If you have a backup from before you jailbroke, you could restore to that.

Things like this is why I backup my backups before I jailbreak. ;)

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Same here just with my Ipad 4 (JB 6.1). One click and goes to mute.........:(

Update: looks like uninstalling SBsetting fixes my volume down issue.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
If you have a backup from before you jailbroke, you could restore to that.

Things like this is why I backup my backups before I jailbreak. ;)
Couldn't I just back up to my computer right now, and them restore from that backup? The backup would remove the JB and problem wouldn't it?

I do have a backup from a couple days ago but was thinking of just doing the above so it'll be the latest^^

----------

Same here just with my Ipad 4 (JB 6.1). One click and goes to mute.........:(

Update: looks like uninstalling SBsetting fixes my volume down issue.
I installed SBSettings and removed it, still have the problem. :mad:

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
I installed SBSettings and removed it, still have the problem. :mad:

In my case its SBSettings. I just reinstall it again, and the issue came back up. ......:mad: I am going to do a restore and then jailbreak again.

Bouhady

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Ok, solution is on the way..

It's the activator.. Removing it fixed the problem, but we can't give it up.. I sent a mail to Ryan Patrich which is the developer and he told me its known issue and will be slove in the coming update during the next few hours..
:)

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
It's the activator.. Removing it fixed the problem, but we can't give it up.. I sent a mail to Ryan Patrich which is the developer and he told me its known issue and will be slove in the coming update during the next few hours..

Great news!!ill ill hold off on the restore, plz update this thread if ya will :)

Thanks

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007

that's good to know. I guess sbsetting had activator in it so when I uninstall sbsetting it also remove activator, that's why the issue was resolve.

Bouhady

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Activator 1.7.3 released!!! Bug fixed.

Great news!!ill ill hold off on the restore, plz update this thread if ya will :)

Thanks

Now without no cynic answer I can tell that the problem solved !! Install the activator (1.7.3) and the bug will be fixed!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Now without no cynic answer I can tell that the problem solved !! Install the activator (1.7.3) and the bug will be fixed!
I have SBSettings and Activator 1.7.2 installed, did a search and there's only tha one. How do I get 1.7.3?

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
1.7.3 is on the home page of Cydia. the new version did fix the issue for me

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Couldn't I just back up to my computer right now, and them restore from that backup? The backup would remove the JB and problem wouldn't it?

First of all, restoring from backup and restoring your iPad are two different things -- confusing because they are both called "restore." Even more confusing because people use "restore from backup" as a shorthand for "restoring iPad, then restoring from backup."

Just restoring from backup without first restoring your iPad won't remove your jailbreak. It just reverts your iPad's data and settings to the state it was in when the backup was made.

If you restore your iPad, then restore from a backup that was made after the jailbreak, there is a possibility that some of the changes jailbreak apps and tweaks made to the system would be included in that backup. Usually, those changes just sit there without doing anything, sometimes the changes show up on a non-jailbroken device without doing any harm, but there are rare cases when they might interfere with a device even though it is non-jailbroken. Which is why when a jailbroken device is having issues, it is recommended that you either set it up as new or restore from a backup made before the jailbreak.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Recent Activator Update fixes the Volume Button Issue.

It seems to me Activator is a lot more Finicky this time around. I'm getting bumped into Safe Mode more often than usual and I'm pretty sure it's Activator that's causing it.

Anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.