Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Considering you're using a 3GS, I don't think you're able to comment on the state of mobile iOS devices. You're using technology that is 4 years old. If you were complaining about your iPhone 5, then I would take your comment more seriously.
Are you kidding me? My 3GS is running iOS 6.1 (granted, some features missing) and I happen to own an iPad Mini, which is only missing the phone app compared to an iP5.

How does not owning the newest iPhone render me unable to survey the current market situation? Blogs and Youtube are flooded with in depth reviews about every bit of mobile tech there is in this world. Also this is not about complaining about a specific device, it is about the long term development of iOS and the iPhone in general.

I just can't comprehend your logic - I don't have to jump of a building to know it'll hurt, and I don't have to own every piece of new tech to be able to judge it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I think this dude misses being involved in the running of Apple. Wasn't he meant to be moving to australia and getting citizenship as he was sick of the USA. More and more i read about Woz, the more pro android he seems to have become. When was the last time he said anything positive about Apple. I mean if he feels that Apple has fallen behind, then why does he not share his ideas with apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Are you kidding me? My 3GS is running iOS 6.1 (granted, some features missing) and I happen to own an iPad Mini, which is only missing the phone app compared to an iP5.

How does not owning the newest iPhone render me unable to survey the current market situation? Blogs and Youtube are flooded with in depth reviews about every bit of mobile tech there is in this world. Also this is not about complaining about a specific device, it is about the long term development of iOS and the iPhone in general.

I just can't comprehend your logic - I don't have to jump of a building to know it'll hurt, and I don't have to own every piece of new tech to be able to judge it.

You tell um! Well stated BTW.

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Sad but true... Apple is truly falling behind with its phone technology. Do you agree? I mean they're releasing "upgrades" that Andriod and/or Samsung's had available for some time. For god sakes, I want a 4.8" inch screen and I should have to go to Samsung to get it...

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Somehow the "somewhat behind" is right, but only in some features that does not really put iOS device to shame. There is no really feature on Android that I'm crazy to have on my iPhone. They brag too much about customization buy I guess that's it, other than that they just show off those feature but they never actually used them. Some of those accessible features on Android are just 1 tap or swipe away with iOS, that's the reason why iOS UI is clean and simple. They say Android are for power users yet those people they root their devices so as iOS if you want to be a power user then jailbreak your device. The very reason why Android is ahead and their number of users is growing not because it's a better choice. The only reason which I also agree is that they have more choices and cheaper prices. There is no way Apple can beat this kind of market unless they decided to go the same path as Samsung.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Whats the deal with everyone taking everything Woz says as gospel? He was instrumental in creating the original Apple computers but what has he done recently? Not much other than speaking engagements. Since the original Apples, he has done very little other.

Because he helped create Apple.

My real issue on him dumping on Apple is that he clearly doesn't agree with Apple's stance that this isn't a zero sum game and its okay for other companies to be successful. Because he doesn't get this detail he sees everything as a loss for Apple and that helps to spurn his notion that Apple has to design to compete, provide every possible choice for every possible user and so on.

----------

So in general, I would like to know what Woz would like added into iOS. He always makes these sweeping comments about Apple but never gives any solutions. He's no better than your typical forum poster/troller.

So perhaps we should say to him what we tend to say to the trolls. Put up or shut up. He thinks he knows how smart phones should be designed, then he should do it. Lets see how well the Woz phone does

----------

Do you have personal connections with him that you know what he is and isnt working on? Woz has never been the one to get into the spotlight and talk about upcoming projects. .

He might not talk about upcoming products (perhaps because he doesnt have sny) but he's happy to do talks, articles etc based on being 'the guy from Apple' so claiming eh doesn't get into the spotlight is a bit off

----------

gotta like Woz,

loves Apple for the products but if they are not the best he calls them on it.

'The best' being defined as ' how I think they should be done', rather like many forum posters

----------

Apple needs to do three thing to maintain leadership

You assume that Apple wants to maintain leadership, particularly if it means having to do things differently. With devices or computers.

And your bullet points are just the same 'they need to do it the way I think they should do it or utter fail' of the typical poster. You have nothing more than 'I think it's a good idea' or 'everyone else is doing it' to prove its a good idea, much less the right one for Apple.

----------

My Nexus 4 begs to differ with everything you said. Android 4.2 makes iOS look ridiculously bad. I have no desire to go back, which is why I sold my iPhone 5, and not a day goes by that I actually miss it.

Your opinion, you are welcome to it and goody for you that it has worked out for you.

Many folks, myself included, have used such devices and thought they were utter garbage.

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
auxo, zephir, intelliscreenx... from cydia: so many reasons to complain against apple's lack of listening to users demands.

SO A BIG

739493.gif

TO

106951025.jpg

dvasa

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
Share price says it all

just look at the share price
i'm an investor and held right into earnings... that was foolish with a small f

anyways, i still believe in apple and that Tim Cook will do well. he's made a massive reshuffle and the fruits from that should become evident. i have high hopes for the future UI of iOS and apple apps now that jonathan ive is in charge of that.

i guess we'll find out if apple can once again innovate and differentiate on the release of iOS 7.
iPhone is a great device, the software is behind as well as the typing features

several of the stupidest things, why can't you reply all to a calendar appointment to send everyone a note?
why can't you copy calendar events to other dates and times?
why is there no cursor control option on the keyboard or at least a shift+backspace for a forward delete... simple things like this are missing
FAIL

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Whats the deal with everyone taking everything Woz says as gospel? He was instrumental in creating the original Apple computers but what has he done recently? Not much other than speaking engagements. Since the original Apples, he has done very little other.

Not Gospel, but he say's the truth. Apple loyalist just get a bent out of shape when some speaks against the Big Apple that's all.

For some reason, I can tell I wouldn't like this guy.

Cause he had a critical opinion about the iPhone?

I bet if he praised it you'd love Woz eh? :D

That is one the stupidest things Woz has ever said.

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

I'm starting to get tired of Woz's desire to be in the spotlight 24/7.

I'm tired of all the fanboys saying how much Woz sucks just because his critical opinion of the iPhone and iOS.

Behind or not, the iPhone. 5 is an amazing device.

Which means that other phones that are ahead of it are even more amazing.

I think we can pretty much sum it up in this sentence: He is a nerd that never understood what it is to create a product that people love.

Loving the iPhone and iOS is a blind love for some.

Sorry Woz, I like you and all, but you've lost your credibility, even before you said that Win Mobile was the best phone and that Metro was amazing.

Yea that's why...

He has an ******* err … i mean opinion.

And a smart opinion at that!

That's ok because I've never read one thing from you that made me want to follow anything you do. I don't care what phone you or your GF uses. Maybe the two of you would be better suited on some Android boards where you can leave us "idiots" in peace.

You mad bro because someone doesn't like the iPhone? It'll be better...maybe Apple will do something amazing with iOS 7 and it'll be okay. :rolleyes:

You mean Apple hasn't fired him yet?

Probably do a better job than Tim Cook is doing.

2 words: attention whore

That's the response I'd expect when you know what you read is true, but you just don't like it.

Features is one thing, looks is another :p

Being attracted to your phone...scary.

lol at the people reacting as if they had just been stabbed in the back

It's hilarious. I love the childish one liner remarks. Although I thought there would be more Apple Loyalists here. I'm surprised so many don't have their heads in the sand.

Gotta love it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Woz is spot on. And I like it.

We all know that good competition = good innovation. Android effectively becoming more desirable is something a lot of Apple fans find hard to accept (or if they are childish, flat out deny and claim anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot). Apple need this to happen. They have rested on their laurels for too long now.

It's time for iOS to get a major overhaul.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not Gospel, but he say's the truth. Apple loyalist just get a bent out of shape when some speaks against the Big Apple that's all.

I'm not talking about his Apple statements only. Anything Woz says, the tech media writes in stone and worships. A couple years back he said he was starting a company. People threw $50 million in investments at him before he ever said what it would be or what they'd produce. Nothing ever came of it but it's funny to see people that feel they should blindly agree with everything he says or does.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
In some ways, he's right. There are things on other phones that aren't on the iPhone. Apple makes great products that are, in some peoples' minds, missing features that other similar products have.

HOWEVER

1) I know Woz made the Apple II back in the day and that's his pride and joy, but what significant insight does he really have into the industry these days? What has he really done for me or Apple in the last 20 years? 30 years? I think he's looking at this situation like an extremely geeky user, not an every day joe. A lot of the reason geeks like Android over the iPhone is that you can mess with it. He might be looking at it from that perspective.

2) Apple will release features when they feel it's the right time--not any sooner or later than that. Just because the tinkerers feel that something is "missing" doesn't mean that it's something most people would use.

So in general, I would like to know what Woz would like added into iOS. He always makes these sweeping comments about Apple but never gives any solutions. He's no better than your typical forum poster/troller.

When one of the founders of the company says they're falling, don't get defensive. Woz says innovate. If he knew how to innovate it at this time, he probably would. But he needed Jobs to actually be productive with it, mind you.

I agree with Woz. I have ceased recommending iPhones for anyone at this time. They're not bad, but there's certainly better out there. If Apple fans could only admit that, we'd get a real swell apple phone, don't you think? You know, the "Never enough" approach for users rather than shareholders...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Woz says it like it is as always. He doesn't let irrational loyalty to any certain company get in his way, even the company he helped build. He just looks at who has the best products. Gotta respect that, and in this case I agree with his judgement.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I'm not talking about his Apple statements only. Anything Woz says, the tech media writes in stone and worships. A couple years back he said he was starting a company. People threw $50 million in investments at him before he ever said what it would be or what they'd produce. Nothing ever came of it but it's funny to see people that feel they should blindly agree with everything he says or does.

Are you talking about Fusion IO? My understanding is they hired Wozniak as "Chief Scientist", whatever the heck that means. I figure the position is a sinecure, like his position at Apple, and they hired him for his notoriety as cofounder of Apple.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
He would never have said this publicly if Steve was still alive.

He has said several similar things throughout the years while Jobs was alive. He also jailbroke a celebrity's iPhone live on TV while Jobs was still alive. Wozniak isn't Jobs' bitch you know.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
He always makes these sweeping comments about Apple but never gives any solutions. He's no better than your typical forum poster/troller.

I think this really sums it up for the whole thread.

Woz was instrumental in the formation of Apple Computers & a very smart man, but he never took it very far past that. Hes not a businessman, hes not a visionary like Steve was.

If Woz was in charge of Apple if Steve never existed, they would be in the same boat they were in the early nineties, barely afloat.

Lot of comments but no solutions.

nervouk

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2002
tokyo
OK, we're past Page 4 now and I still don't know what the compelling reason is to prefer Android over the "outdated, falling behind" iOS. This thread is full of comments about Apple failing to innovate and barely any concrete examples are given.

So, apart from the fact that some Android devices have bigger screens and a couple of eye-catching animations, what is the advantage? From the Android devices I've tried, my only impression is that they're confusing & messy for a first-time user.

The iPhone and iPads still feel leaps ahead in terms of build quality and materials used; photo-shooting, and 3rd party apps. Personally I could care less if the OS is just a launcher with buttons, as long as the apps are good. These are the main reason I have an iPhone.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
OK, we're past Page 4 now and I still don't know what the compelling reason is to prefer Android over the "outdated, falling behind" iOS. This thread is full of comments about Apple failing to innovate and barely any concrete examples are given.

So, apart from the fact that some Android devices have bigger screens and a couple of eye-catching animations, what is the advantage? From the Android devices I've tried, my only impression is that they're confusing & messy for a first-time user.

The iPhone and iPads still feel leaps ahead in terms of build quality and materials used; photo-shooting, and 3rd party apps. Personally I could care less if the OS is just a launcher with buttons, as long as the apps are good. These are the main reason I have an iPhone.

The funnier thing are the posts saying "Woz is spot on" "I agree with him" when he really didn't say anything.

I know what "I" want from iOS.

1. Delta updates for everything
2. Automatic updates across devices with roll back
3. Live icons
4. Less contextual changes (more Store Kit like panels popping up)
5. XPC processes between apps and better file sharing (no dupes)
6. Location based profiles
7. Siri control of basic settings (Wifi, BT, etc)
8. App Store wish-list with notifications for price changes
9. Ability to purchase iPad only apps from iPhone
10. More services in the accounts framework (LinkedIn, Foursquare, Yelp, App.net, Tumblr etc)

+

Group support in email
Smart Folders that work OS wide for tagged documents, files, Pics
Better indoor location accuracy.

nervouk

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2002
tokyo
I know what "I" want from iOS.

1. Delta updates for everything
2. Automatic updates across devices with roll back
3. Live icons
4. Less contextual changes (more Store Kit like panels popping up)
5. XPC processes between apps and better file sharing (no dupes)
6. Location based profiles
7. Siri control of basic settings (Wifi, BT, etc)
8. App Store wish-list with notifications for price changes
9. Ability to purchase iPad only apps from iPhone
10. More services in the accounts framework (LinkedIn, Foursquare, Yelp, App.net, Tumblr etc)

+

Group support in email
Smart Folders that work OS wide for tagged documents, files, Pics
Better indoor location accuracy.

That's more like it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.