Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Wrong with you?

If there's something wrong with 'you', then perhaps I should check into a nut house.

DyslexicKobe

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
[All iPads] What's wrong with me? Why do I want an iPad mini?

I've also went from an iPad 3 to a mini. Don't regret it at all. The battery life is phenomenal and the portability is worth the lack of retina screen. Best decision.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

Why? Like if it had retina, I'd probably do something to buy it.

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(

The iPad mini is sick, that's why! My roommate has an iPad and I think he's jealous of my mini haha.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Be nice to think your a women saying a mini fits perfectly

----------

do you realise you only need to put 1 question mark, and not 5 or 6 !

And while you're at it...use your spell check....the world is spelled "realize" not realize.....

Cartaphilus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
And while you're at it...use your spell check....the world is spelled "realize" not realize.....

Unless, of course, you follow British orthography, as some pretty fair writers have. Be careful, it's their language, and if we don't treat it well, they'll take it back. :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
There is something very strange about the way people say they feel about retina displays. Unless it's a side-by-side comparison, I can hardly see any difference between a retina and non-retina screen on a full-sized iPad (and we have both in the house), so I certainly can't imagine it could matter on a mini which has a smaller screen and looks great to me.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of credible people posting every day about how they have trouble reading type on a non-retina display, or that once they'd gotten used to retina they can't abide anything else.

I'm really no longer persuaded that it's just hype or psychology as I first suspected, but that it must be something different about a person's eye or visual cortex that accounts for the divergence.

I don't suppose we're covered up by ophthalmologists or neuroscientists on this thread, but it would be interesting to know if there's been research. Or educated guesses.

There are situations where we strongly prefer one thing over another, even though we cannot explain what the difference is. That's the case with a retina display. You can put two Macs or two iPads side by side, and one screen is much nicer than the other because of Retina display, but many people won't be able to describe what the difference actually is.

That said, lots of people are just idiots who are looking for something to complain about, and the iPad mini having no Retina display is a godsend for them, so they can complain.

----------

The curse of the grammer nazi (and I'm writing "grammer" on purpose, it fits much better) strikes again.

1. It seems you didn't realise that there are variants of the English language, for example British English and American English, with different spellings and sometimes entirely different words.

2. The world is spelled "world", not "realize".

3. If you complain about someone's spelling, you need to turn the spelling checker off or your sentence makes no sense.

4. Grammar: "Use your spell check" is wrong. You perform a spell check by using a spell checker. So: Use your spell checker.

5. If you are Harry Potter then you want to check your spells. Muggles want to check the spelling of their words and use spelling checkers, not spell checkers.

Arianasieghart

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Chicago
I love my mini.. I had the first generation iPad until my boyfriend got his 4.. I love his and was planning to buy one with retina but I fell in love with the size am portability of the mini.. The screen doesn't even bother me

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Ipad mini is the perfect size. The larger ipad now seems so big and bulky now.

Returned the ipad 4 and haven't looked back. Love the ipad mini. I missed the retina screen at first, but after using it for a few weeks, it's all good now.

wjereb

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
I had really no desire to buy a mini since I already had an iPad3 and an iPhone 5 but since my company gave everyone a Mini for having a successful year I have been using mine quite a bit. I like the form factor but I still use my iPad. It really depends which one is the most charged. The fact that it is not a retina display does not factor in. The only problem I have is iCloud is not syncing my calendar and reminders all the time.

Bill J

wizzerandchips

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006

im British, we spell it with an S not Z, learn some history, and real English, we did invent the language !.

and its spelt...not spelled. Jees (Jeez) kids these days.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(

Because you'd much prefer a Nook HD, only that it doesn't run iOS. Go ahead: buy the Nook.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
How can the world be "spelled" anything? I should assume you meant "word" but you're the one who recommends others to use the spell check (which contradicts the assumption).

In standard UK English, it's "realise". Cambridge University press sticks to this, as do all the newspapers. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "realize" and "realise" are both correct, although the former is preferable by the OED standard.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Stick with the 3, if you do any reading at all you will notice the non retina display. Also some of the apps I've used don't scale very well to the Mini. I admit the form factor is very nice, but after using one for a few weeks and the "omg this is such a cool new gadget" wears off... you will happy you have your full size retina display.

If anything just hang out until the new iPad 5 shows up this fall that is thinner and lighter with all the bells and whistles of the 4, or by then the mini should have a retina display.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Funny enough, if it wasn't for my musical reasons, I'd probably go mini. Problem is that retina display, along with the display size, is a real necessity when you use the thing as a music sheet reader and you're using it for scanned in pieces of music on a stand. Full page piano music has way more demands than text. It's mainly there where the big difference is made. Outside of that I'd probably go mini. Though a person who likes games might find a different reason. iPhone games only display as retina on retina iPads, so for those who want iPhone-only apps to look fantastic and clear while at 2X instead of all stretched out and blurry will only get that with retina.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

X(

You can't watch videos comfortably on an iPhone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.