Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
This was recently put on Kickstarter.

Wally: The iPhone Wallet

cdf40a8515ebfd9a032c182ca1333276_large.jpg

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Everything looks great except that nothing seems to be holding the cards in securely. Especially with the quick-pull tab, I wouldn't feel very safe putting credit cards in there.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Oh, noooo! Why did I have to see this? Now I may have ta get one!

But seriously, as expressed in the post directly above, what keeps the cards from falling out?

I can see on the brown prototype that the bottom of the card holding area is a little larger (note the angled-out bottom corners of that portion), is this perhaps the secret? That it is sized a bit wider/larger at the bottom? With a smaller-sewn tighter "neck" opening at the top? And does the red tab pull out a full-width, separate plastic carrier bracket of some sort, or just a hidden "hook" or something inside?

I do like that if you have cash in there, it appears to pull out alongside the cards, easier than fishing out the softer, folded bills from inside amongst the stiffer plastic cards.

What happens if you have just one or two cards in there? Or you overstuff four or more cards inside, as some of us will (always) tend to do?

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Thought about this Wally case a bit further. Mainly because the iPhone card case I use now is the CM4 Q case with a thumb notch on one side of the card sleeve, from which I push the credit cards out on the other side of the sleeve.

So currently I

Step 1: push out the card Pack ("Pack" being the stack of cards in there, plus maybe a single $20, $50 or $100 bill folded in between the cards - the denomination depends how far back payday was), it comes out about halfway, then I

Step 2: finagle out the card (or money bill) I need. Then I

Step 3: square everything back up and

Step 4: push the Pack back into the case sleeve.

The Wally case would actually add up to the same number of steps, because you would

Step 1: pull out the red tab then out comes the Pack, which is STILL a formed stack of cards/money bill. Then you would still have to

Step 2: finagle out the card or money you want. Then you would still

Step 3: square up the cards back into the form of a Pack, and then you would

Step 4: push the newly formed Pack back into the Wally sleeve.

So the step of Pulling the red tab of the Wally to reveal the Pack, just replaces the Pushing of the Pack out with the thumb notch on the CM4.

So being they each cost about $40 bucks, the advantage of the Wally is that your credit cards are not shown off to the world, unlike the CM4 which reveals about 1/4 or so of the top credit card.

But then on the CM4 you don't have the Bullfighter-Red pulltab of the Wally showing either. Plus red don't coordinate too good with the blue, black or usually darker and more manly color of clothes I prefer to wear... ;)

But the Wally appears to be a novel concept nonetheless. And real leather is always a plus in my book.

----------

Oh yeah, one more thing - the KillSpencer 2.0 does not show the credit cards either, and same like the CM4 you push on a thumb notch to get the cards out, although the notch is located on the bottom of the card sleeve. And IMHO it is by far more cool looking. But you also have to peel-and-stick it onto your phone or onto a snap-on case, same as the Wally. And the KillSpencer is $69 plus shipping (unknown if Wally project will charge shipping to its customers) so more expensive by far.

While the CM4 is all-in-one and a complete, self-contained iPhone/credit card case.

Just more stuff to think about, for me anyways.

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
wow, well, for me, I try not to over think things. As long as it's not unreasonably burdensome to get a card out, and it holds a certain number of cards, I will consider it for purchase. The number of steps it takes to get to a card isn't really of much consequence to me. From there, the look of the case will be my final determining factor as to whether it fits my tastes.

As far as it holding cards securely, this leather "wallet" doesn't seem any different to other leather "wallets" with card pockets, or even standard credit card/ID sleeves. In my experience with my Hex Solo, Sena Lusio, and BookBook, all my cards fit in snuggly initially. While the leather does break in over time, I've never lost a card or had undue concern that one would fall out. Or maybe it's the simple fact that I don't walk around with my wallet, or phone with wallet case haphazardly enough to have that type of concern. Obviously, if you over stretch the leather, theres a chance of a card falling out if you later choose to carry fewer cards. I believe this is just an underlying risk with any leather wallet. I purposely stretched out the pockets on my Hex Solo and Sena Lusio to carry 2 cards in each pocket. Instead of worrying about the possibility of losing a card because I chose to carry fewer cards, I simply always carry a set amount that I know will not fall out.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Blessed (or cursed, depending on if I consider the cost) with several card holding phone cases to test on an ongoing basis (since I's done Bought'em all and used'em all and can't return'em all now!), I will admit to using the CM4 Q5 the most frequently. I have jammed up to five cards in there, and then if you let it sit empty for a while it will tauten (is that a word, even) back snugly to hold even one card without slipping out. Secret seems to be a combination of the pliable leather-like (read Fake) material of the card holding section, along with an ingenious slanted-width design that grips the edge of the card or cards tighter as they go in further, until at the very innermost width it snugly grabs any and all card/s.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1532685/

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Looks like the safe wallet will be funded on kickstarter, cant wait to get one this April!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1226679498/safe-wallet-case-for-iphone-5

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Hey guys what do you think about the vaultskin lexx case for iPhone 5
http://www.vaultskin.com/iphone-wallets/iphone-5-lexx-wallet-case-in-brown.html#.UROsg2thiK0
I like the design, but not sure how secure the magnet latch is.
Also, will there be any issues with the magnet affecting the iPhone (gps, compass, internals etc)?

Whoa, I thought this Lexx Vaultskin case was AWESOME. So awesome in fact, that I just ordered TWO. They were half price, since there was a 50% off code I just saw, plus free shipping if you order two or more items - please hang on while I look for it, found it by clicking on the above link somehow, but I can't find it now!

I liked it because I am single-mindedly searching for a true wallet replacement that holds my iP5, and with up to an eight-card capacity (or four, which is actually all I need each day, every single day and not any more) plus significant cash (most card cases accommodate up to three or four which means you only have tight space for a single folded bill) this case is exactly perfect for me.

Single-item-carry and an end to the dreaded phone case acquisiton disease, here I come...(or at least until the next case comes out, as usual).

Lastq

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Haha thanks for that, just bit the bullet and ordered one!
Let's hope it is as awesome as you make it sound.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Haha thanks for that, just bit the bullet and ordered one!
Let's hope it is as awesome as you make it sound.

Haw! Got ya! (and welcome to da Club)...

I look forward to receiving it, the video was quite convincing. All them cards and cash just slid so easily right into it, and the mechanics of the construction make sense, since there is no requirement to totally seal all around the edge of the inner card section which would make holding in too many cards impossible without warping or bulging. This Lexx seems to hold them in with just two "partial" edges plus the magnetic latch up top, and the remaining open side would not allow the cards to fall out since the magnetic latch is "springi-ly" (is that even a word) keeping them held in just slightly, and tightly, enough. And the natural, subtle elasticity of the magnet's leather strap portion would automatically compensate for less (thinner) of a card stack - down to a point of course.

I guess we (you and I) shall see soon enough...

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Having bought a Speck SmartFlex Card credit card case and used it for 2 weeks, I found two major problems with credit card cases in general.

1. Your phone is stuck to a case with all your cards when you are at home on the couch or in bed using the phone. It's like having a shirt with a backpack attached to it when you no longer need the backpack and its content. Sure you can remove the phone from the case but it's a pain and most cases are not that easy to remove.

2. Cash carrying - I tried but not being able to carry cash is a big inconvenience. Some designs allow me to carry a couple of bills but often at the expense of card space. And every time you receive change, it's a pain to have to fold the bills neatly so that they fit in the case.

Lastq

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah the video was pretty well made - reminded of those short ipad ads with no talking, just music. I'm surprised this case hasn't gotten much publicization - no reviews whatsoever.

vespaMAN

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
genuine leather ?

Its not a bad design and is it genuine leather as many state they are but aren't Where is it made - do you know ?

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Its not a bad design and is it genuine leather as many state they are but aren't Where is it made - do you know ?

I must presume the UK. The developer is in the UK, his first protos were there, his patent was filed while he was there, and they make and ship them out, there from the UK.

They have a USA internet site store but I imagine it is a server which simply takes order and forwards them to the main company in the UK, where they are produced and shipped worldwide.

I'm Watching Video Again!

----------

Yeah the video was pretty well made - reminded of those short ipad ads with no talking, just music. I'm surprised this case hasn't gotten much publicization - no reviews whatsoever.

Yes that's curious, I do believe they first came out for the iPhone 4 (and they still have those for sale too) but claim the iphone 5 model has improved design, with easier card loading/holding, a stronger magnet and more "real estate" in which to accomplish these new designs, easements and spaciousnesses.

We'll see soon enough, but perhaps by then you can't get them. They are originally hand made/invented by the one guy, so who knows...

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Just got an email confirming my Vaultskin Lexx iPhone 5 cases were shipped, up to 10 days to get here (5 days Tracked but that was not free). Still pretty quick if you ask me, and the site itself said something about up to 28 days to the US (shipped from the UK). But it was in their disclaimer section giving max ETA dates to all their destinations.

They also answered (immediately) my email about whether procurement from Amazon UK would be any faster since they have them in stock. But Amazon UK apparently doesn't ship to the US anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.