Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I skimmed all of the pages, and it seems like the SAFE Bullet Train Iphone 5 Case is the best one for me because it's secure, sturdy, doesn't show your cards at all, not too bulky, and is relatively affordable. And it's still a simple case, without a flap in the front. But my problem is that they have a backlog of orders and can't ship until mid-December!

Are there any cases that don't have a flap in the front, aren't overly bulky (I'd only be carrying like 1-2 cards, I don't need my keys and money and 6 credit cards) and hide your cards so that no one can see them? I currently have a cheapy Belkin Grip case, but I like it because it's slim.

I take public transportation, and I always have my phone out if I'm reading, texting, playing games, etc. I don't want people seeing my credit card, Starbucks card or train pass! That's what's so frustrating about 90% of these cases. I can see what cards I have in the case, and so can everyone else.

I have the Safe BulletTrain Case and it is awsome (see my review here - post #271 : BulletTrain Safe Case

I was a backer waaaaaaay back in January, on Kickstarter, and I only received my case in September so you may have a loooong wait to get yours........

Personally, I have stopped using mine now and just gone back to use a traditional wallet. I thought it was a bit of a pain having to keep taking my phone out to get to a card or something in the back. When I backed it in January - I was totally sold on the idea of having a phone case/wallet combo (thats why I backed their idea). The problem was, that because it took so long to ship (the designers had issue after issue and kept putting back the release month - EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!), that by the time I actually received it, I didn't really want the whole wallet/phone case combo any more.

I wouldn't order one of these just just yet. I have the very first version, however, if you look on their blog, they have reported that they are working on a version 2 with some minor adjustments.........

Rotajo

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Wow there are more options for cases than I thought! Does anyone have any good black friday deals on these? I am browsing through and want something that is not super bulky. Price, while still being decent and usable is what I care about.

In the comments above about the card showing, I think that is pretty easy to not have your card stolen as your hand can cover it while you hold the phone. Some of the cases I have tried make it really hard to get the card out of the case, so that is more of a concern IMO.

Rotajo

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Thank you GTBLUEDEVIL, that coupon code worked well. That is a great BF 70% off code. I ordered a couple of different wallet cases to try, including the iHold, and the iHold looks like a simple, yet good case, especially for the price!

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
The only wallet case I ever considered was the Retromodern wallet handmade in Estonia through Etsy.

il_fullxfull.438535872_9upz.jpg

I ordered one and it was gorgeous. Unfortunately I use a slim case and the fit is perfect for a caseless iphone. I suppose the idea of a wallet case should make the case unnecessary. I returned it but it's still a great looking case.

davetheduck

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
Just backed a wallet on kickstarter. Just made a thread but here's a link to the case..

EDIT:was asked to remove the link

Last edited:

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
Just backed a wallet on kickstarter. Just made a thread but here's a link to the case..

EDIT:was asked to remove the link

Looks great. I really love the suction thing.
I'd back it, too but my singular fear of slim flap-style cases is that the lid won't stay shut if there's one or two cards in the slot. The hinge needs to be a wide region to allow for the case to close naturally - even with 3 cards. I don't know if this is addressed with this case until I read a review. But I'll keep my eye on this one for sure.

Update: aww, heck. I backed them anyways. Please don't tell my wife I spent the money.

Last edited:

davetheduck

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
Looks great. I really love the suction thing.
I'd back it, too but my singular fear of slim flap-style cases is that the lid won't stay shut if there's one or two cards in the slot. The hinge needs to be a wide region to allow for the case to close naturally - even with 3 cards. I don't know if this is addressed with this case until I read a review. But I'll keep my eye on this one for sure.

Update: aww, heck. I backed them anyways. Please don't tell my wife I spent the money.

Glad to hear it :)

From what I saw the front flap also has a lil suction bit too so should stay shut.

JasonHeinz

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Yeh I saw that case in FHM -

http://www.fhm.com/upgrade/mens-style/all-we-want-for-christmas-is-a-motherflippin-jetpack-84799

And I went and backed them on Kickstarter. I was a bit concerned about the strength of the suction pads but they seem sure that it works. It seems to work in their video.

I am hoping that it's good leather. It makes such a difference. Some leather feels fake and cheap. If these guys get funded I really hope that they invest in good quality leather.

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
About 2 weeks ago, I relied on this thread to hunt for my ideal phone case. However I ended up picking a different choice, the CAZLET from the kickstarter campaign. I wasn't going to pledge it because I can't wait its availability till end of January next year. Out of my surprise, I came across their official web page which seems to offer some soft of beta program offering cash back for video recorded about your first impression on the phone wallet.

Few days later I got it in a small envelop in which the packaging is really simple and down to earth. No ink and no printing whatsoever. I guess most people won't prefer such packaging concept, but I don't mind. What I care is the product quality. Let me tell you, my hand can't stop touching it because of its velvety touch. Its buttery soft nubuck leather is really making it the best in the genre of luxurious iPhone case+wallet. Some expensive brands like Vaja which is also made of quality leather won't give you a nice touch feeling.

In terms of capacity, it beats all cases which've been discussed in this post. No case can hold 15 bills or more. No cases can selectively protect your credit cards from RF sniffing. It also features a cleaning pad which is always convenient for smudgy phone screen. The biggest drawback I found is that the phone camera is blocked when fitted.

Last edited:

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Anyone find a wallet case that also has an ID / Driver's License window?

The one I use myself and going on first thing to consider is the BookBook from Twelve South.

However, I would make it fit Filpbelt which doesn't seem to work :/

dekerna

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
The one I use myself and going on first thing to consider is the BookBook from Twelve South.

However, I would make it fit Filpbelt which doesn't seem to work :/

A lot of people think Bookbook is the highest food chain of phone case with credit card slots. I've been using it for a while and I can say it is somehow overrated in my own experience.

The folio case suffers from a major design flaw which is largely ignored by the most because we don't have much choice. Over time, you phone screen is likely to be scratched by the edges of the exposed cards when the folio cover is closed and pressed against. You won't notice the minor scratches at first but it would grow gradually and tax your screen eventually.

If you think the screen protector helps, you will be wrong about it as well. I sent my iPhone (with screen protector) for repair due to its lost of touch sensitivity. I couldn't claim my warranty because they saw me using a folio case with 3 credit cards stuffed on the other side. Yes, the Apple Store in San Diego rejected my warranty for improper use of iPhone. I tried to argue with them why're they selling BookBook officially in their Store while accusing me using one for improper use. At the end, I still lost the battle. You can't argue with big corporation. Ever since I reject the idea of folio case. Whatever it is like BookBook or Access Case in the current Kickstarter, they are just as vulnerable - my personal opinion.

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
A lot of people think Bookbook is the highest food chain of phone case with credit card slots. I've been using it for a while and I can say it is somehow overrated in my own experience.

The folio case suffers from a major design flaw which is largely ignored by the most because we don't have much choice. Over time, you phone screen is likely to be scratched by the edges of the exposed cards when the folio cover is closed and pressed against. You won't notice the minor scratches at first but it would grow gradually and tax your screen eventually.

If you think the screen protector helps, you will be wrong about it as well. I sent my iPhone (with screen protector) for repair due to its lost of touch sensitivity. I couldn't claim my warranty because they saw me using a folio case with 3 credit cards stuffed on the other side. Yes, the Apple Store in San Diego rejected my warranty for improper use of iPhone. I tried to argue with them why're they selling BookBook officially in their Store while accusing me using one for improper use. At the end, I still lost the battle. You can't argue with big corporation. Ever since I reject the idea of folio case. Whatever it is like BookBook or Access Case in the current Kickstarter, they are just as vulnerable - my personal opinion.

I had BookBook for my iPhone 4 and had no direct problems with scratches on the screen. I am also careful to ALWAYS put the phone in one pocket where I do not have and putting keys, coins or other things.

What I've liked the BookBook is that you do carry a wallet seperately which means you do not need to have full pockets. Like the idea that it looks like a book and that the outside is leather that wears dependent person so it has a lovely patina.

I know of no other case that has wallet that's as beautiful and pleasant as BookBook.

Last edited:

extrememac

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
Yes, the Apple Store in San Diego rejected my warranty for improper use of iPhone. I tried to argue with them why're they selling BookBook officially in their Store while accusing me using one for improper use. At the end, I still lost the battle. You can't argue with big corporation. Ever since I reject the idea of folio case. Whatever it is like BookBook or Access Case in the current Kickstarter, they are just as vulnerable - my personal opinion.

I got the same problem of touch screen sensitivity using a folio case. Luckily I got a new replacement because I fought hard enough :) First I got rejected but I appealed my problem and a case number was assigned to me to talk to a designated Apple support via email. He told me this happened "1 out of 50 chance" (obviously a stat must exist), and many factors got involved to cause the problem: "the uneven pressure pressed against the screen using folio is one of contributing factors" (quoted from email)

I don't want to argue what is right or wrong here. Even it didn't happen to you yet, it doesn't mean your touch sensor hasn't depleted yet. One thing for sure, I won't buy your iPhone as second hand item if you are using a folio case packed with cards :)

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013

I used to agree bookbook is the highest food chain of folio style iPhone cases. I switched to a different folio case like Poetic Slimbook which is as good as bookbook and cheaper. Admittedly I think folio cases are bulky and result in an annoying flipping mess. The volume buttons are inaccessible without the case being flipped open. So recently I switched to Cazlet which I believe is by far above the all.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
I recently discovered the Knomo Leather Folio for iPhone 5S at John Lewis. It looks very slick but I will need to visit it in store before purchasing.

I always carry a wallet but an iPhone case with the functionality to hold some notes and one card during the Summer would be very advantageous.

Note: Whoops, I never read your "Rules". LOL. My mistake.

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
I always carry a wallet but an iPhone case with the functionality to hold some notes and one card during the Summer would be very advantageous.

If you are from Europe, do you think you cat fit euro or pound notes in this folio case? I hate to trifold my bills.

extrememac

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
I used to agree bookbook is the highest food chain of folio style iPhone cases. I switched to a different folio case like Poetic Slimbook which is as good as bookbook and cheaper. Admittedly I think folio cases are bulky and result in an annoying flipping mess. The volume buttons are inaccessible without the case being flipped open. So recently I switched to Cazlet which I believe is by far above the all.

CAZLET seems to be interesting. It looks more like a wallet than a phone case. Does it shield dirts from coming into the phone jack and charging port? Its appearance reminds me of Waterfield Finn. Kind of pricey.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
the iPhone's screen doesn't scratch so easily. i've had my 4S for about 3 years now, 2 of which were with no screen protection. the iPhone was with keys, pens and what not and never got scratch. the only scratch it has, is 2 mm long, and caused by a fall to the pavement.

blacktable

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
CAZLET seems to be interesting. It looks more like a wallet than a phone case. Does it shield dirts from coming into the phone jack and charging port? Its appearance reminds me of Waterfield Finn. Kind of pricey.

All the side buttons and ports are "shielded" except the screen. In the price category of 45-55 dollars, cazlet beats waterfield finn hands down in every aspect. I picked up this coupon "cinnamon" from its facebook which you can use it to save more.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

.....just had a look at that Cazlet case on Kickstarter - boy, the size of that thing - it's a monster!! There's no way you'de be able to fit that thing in your trouser pocket!!!:eek:

extrememac

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
.....just had a look at that Cazlet case on Kickstarter - boy, the size of that thing - it's a monster!! There's no way you'de be able to fit that thing in your trouser pocket!!!:eek:

LOL - I won't care whether a phone can fit in my trouser pocket or not. I just never felt comfortable something stuffed in my pocket whenever I walk or sit. Seriously I don't want to keep my phone butt-calling other people I am not ware of :eek:. More seriously I don't want to develop testicular cancer in my early age :eek:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.