Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I may buy a car - my first car ever - sometime later this year, so I've been looking up various models sold here. One thing that came up to mind, though, is whether front-wheel, rear-wheel or all-wheel can play any role into a purchase. As mentioned in the title, I don't intend to do anything harsh or heavy with my car - just drive it to work in the city or buy groceries.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The front wheel drive will aid you when it snows better than a rear wheel drive. Otherwise there isn't too much advantage between them unless you want to race around. Then the rear wheel drive will have an advantage. But normal city driving, you could go either way.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Front wheeled is more then adequate for most people.

All wheeled drive has a benefit of better performance through snow or mud (if you go off roading) but at a higher cost.

Rear wheeled cars are rare at this point, mostly only on some sports cars. I've seen these cars try to handle the snow and since there's no weight in the trunk, the back end tends to fish tale very easily.

I'd go for front wheeled since its great for 95% of your driving needs imo

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
In situations where levels of traction aren't concerned (as the two above me have said already) there isn't much difference. FWD cars do have torque steer, but that really only shows through with more power (and manufacturers try to limit it's effects in the cars).

Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Depends on the vehicle, really. One thing I always hated about front wheel drive is that almost inevitably having to replace the CV joints at some point down the road. With rear wheel drive that's a non-issue.

My SUV is rear wheel drive and I don't have any issues with slipping on mud, ice, or snow. But if you want to drive a small car, you likely won't have much of a choice there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.