Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
But that's the most sad thing of the story: Infinity Blade Dungeons was a dungeon crawler of diablo style, with free movement and actions, not in the style of the other IB games. It looked so promising and so different, that it would definitely be a huge success.

I don't like Diablo either... too much clicking and automation, and again a ridiculous theme. I generally don't like any game where more than half the screen is covered with neon glow effects throughout the game.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Has everything to do with the poor business model. They put an insane amount of time and money into the graphics of the game, and the gameplay was terrible. I mean absolutely awful. When I say "no replay value" what else do you imagine I mean? Eventually people stop spending money on expensive games that they know, by the title alone, will have no replay value.

Infinity blade is Epic Games' most profitable series ever, more so than gears of war. I agree with you that the gameplay isn't great, but that hasn't stopped its profitability.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
really? this is the most pretensious thing I've ever read. and I used to work at Starbucks.

Care to elablorate?

I can't fail to notice that like the previous poster whom you seem to agree with, you find it necessary to quote my entire post yet make no actual comment on it at all.

Quoting such a long post and making a single word critique gives the impression that you are an insecure fool, (note: I'm not saying you are a fool I am saying that your response makes it seem as though you are, thus giving you a chance to elaborate) especially as there has already been a complete quote with a different single word critique further upthread.

Or is your post meant to be a deliberate irony due to my final sentence?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah, um....

I say that often about major league sports too, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Truth be told? I don't find Facebook "mind numbing" in the least. But maybe that's because I realize it actually matters who you "friend" on there, and what type of groups you seek out and join. There are plenty of intelligent Facebook users with relevant things to say and topics to discuss/debate. Some of my best friends use FB daily, but generally just pass along interesting links to articles on other web sites that they believe would interest the people they know well.

With its ability to create private groups, it's also actively used by quite a few blogs as the virtual meeting place for the blog's authors, editors and reviewers.

From day 1 (and yes, I was a first day buyer of the original iPad), I realized it was a fascinating tool with a lot of potential, but was also going to primarily serve as an ENTERTAINMENT device for most people. (Some of that includes reading, which some define as entertainment while others define as education.) But clearly, gaming is part of the appeal too -- and why not?

One of the things I like about iPad games is the relatively low price, as most console and PC/Mac games seem to set people back upwards of $50 each. Most iPad games are less involved or elegant too -- but a nice balance of "fun for the dollar" at the lower price-points. This was a title that took iPads to a level where the game was near parity with PC or Mac counterparts, or console fare -- so understandable people were excited about it.

It is strange seeing so much angst (maybe that's a bit strong) or concern over yet another brain dead time wasting life wasting game. Sure, we cannot, and indeed would not want to impose any sort of intellectual requirements on individuals but if anyone remembers the original iPad intro there were life affirming images of them being used as tools for knowledge that was formerly presented in such a way as to be virtually inaccessible to people without high levels of training.

If ones takes a step back from the world and looks at the brain deadening influence and reach of facebook and twitter it would seem that the world is heading in a direction of producing a general population of faceless twits.

Wake up and smell the coffee, then perhaps ruminate on the molecules that drift into the receptor neurones and how an electric potential is delivered to and rerouted to maybe thousands of synapses and somehow, some sort of "I" has a sensation of what this smell means. Or not. But at least one would hope that the possibility to do this is one of choice and not because people have become so dumbed down as to think this very post is just annoying or threatening.

/r

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
hope this doesn't turn out to be a Duke Nukem Forever type of deal.

Didn't like the first two, but this one had so much potential in my mind with what they had planned for it.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
i guess, in the end, the project proved... Impossible. :cool:

yeeeaaaaaa!

----------

Wow the CEO or someone must be greedy. They charged a good penny when it comes to iOS games yet sold many many copies. Someone wasn't managing the money.

Or maybe the assigned studio wasn't performing well.

----------

Erm? The millions and millions of people that globally every year help drive the multi billion dollar industry that is worth more then the TV industry I guess?

True dat.

And, the same people who buy games whos single weekend sales beat summer blockbuster movies.

Someone got the wrong memo. I think the OP thinks that it's hip to say you're not a gamer. :D

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Care to elablorate?

I can't fail to notice that like the previous poster whom you seem to agree with, you find it necessary to quote my entire post yet make no actual comment on it at all.

Quoting such a long post and making a single word critique gives the impression that you are an insecure fool, (note: I'm not saying you are a fool I am saying that your response makes it seem as though you are, thus giving you a chance to elaborate) especially as there has already been a complete quote with a different single word critique further upthread.

Or is your post meant to be a deliberate irony due to my final sentence?
I'm not insecure. How you can attain that through what I wrote is beyond me. Perhaps having to be in a forum writing pretentious posts makes you the insecure one. Or the fact that you can not know anything about me whatsoever and conclude that I'm insecure through an unrelated forum post is really just a reflection of how you feel about yourself. Also, It's not just myself who called you out. You're impressing no one.

NeoHeart Snivy

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2013
Has everything to do with the poor business model. They put an insane amount of time and money into the graphics of the game, and the gameplay was terrible. I mean absolutely awful. When I say "no replay value" what else do you imagine I mean? Eventually people stop spending money on expensive games that they know, by the title alone, will have no replay value.

The graphic are there to build ambiance, now a days it's hard to make a game feel like an adventure if you don't have an atmosphere reflecting that. Hell even Corruption of Champions has a map graphic in the background and it's a ****ing text game. Bad gameplay? Well yes, it could be a tad repetita at times but then again most iOS game are made to kill time waiting for the bus, or a doctors apointment, or sitting on the toilent. For me Infinity Blade serves as a time sink, but at least this time sink has a good fantasy story. As for replay value, again, it's a time sink, but it does have SOME replayability. Like the Clashmob challenges, and I happen to enjoy collecting the armor and weaponry (mainly because I can't IRL). Yes, they stopped spending that whole $7, but if you mean the OPTIONAL IAPs, those weren't mandatory you know. Not once did I need to spend my hard earned cash to get items in game. That would just rob me of the "time" part of the time sink. Then all you're left with is a sink, and those are only good for washing your hands, probably after spending two hours on the toilet playing Infinity Blade. This isn't a game meant to be a grand epic rival to another game or an innovative title made to lead the helm of new gameplay, it a time sink with a story that has a dedicated fan-base. I don't know how you could possibly complain about it when you'd likely never do the same for Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, or Fruit Ninja.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.