Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exvidious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Lake Grove, New York
All of my Verizon and Sprint friends got the emergency alert for the Northeast Blizzard, but me and my AT&T friends did not. Regardless of what iPhone you have, anyone on AT&T can't get this option apparently but you can on every other carrier. AT&T finds a new way to piss me off everyday.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
All of my Verizon and Sprint friends got the emergency alert for the Northeast Blizzard, but me and my AT&T friends did not. Regardless of what iPhone you have, anyone on AT&T can't get this option apparently but you can on every other carrier. AT&T finds a new way to piss me off everyday.

Download the Weather Channel App for free and get weather warnings regardless of carrier.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
This is God's way of telling u not to rely on a single source for your information.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
These companies exist for one reason and one reason only, Profit. If an alert will help them make more money, they will provide it, unless they are ordered to do it by the government. Of course, they actually prefer the government to order them to do that, as they can then use that as an excuse to raise your monthly bill.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
If you needed a cell phone alert to tell you the blizzard was coming you may want to check reception under the rock where you are moving because you couldn't walk ten feet without reading, talking or hearing about it.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Of course there are others who are whining because the alarms went off early in the morning before the storm hit. :rolleyes: That's the whole idea. To alert BEFORE the storm hits.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
AT&T has no emergency alerts as of yet.Im on HSPA+ and got nothing it was useful during Hurrican Sandy though

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Umm... What were these alerts saying? That a storm is coming or that service might be interrupted because of the storm?
If its the second, then yeah, they probably should have sent a message. But maybe they didn't think there would be any issues so they didn't.

If its just the first part, who cares? I personally wouldn't want a message for something that most people know about. Well, hopefully you knew about the storm :p

Just can't understand what you're getting pissed off about...

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Umm... What were these alerts saying? That a storm is coming or that service might be interrupted because of the storm?
If its the second, then yeah, they probably should have sent a message. But maybe they didn't think there would be any issues so they didn't.

If its just the first part, who cares? I personally wouldn't want a message for something that most people know about. Well, hopefully you knew about the storm :p

Just can't understand what you're getting pissed off about...

During Hurricane Sandy it was useful it had warned us of changed flood evacuation zones in NYC.
Also in Japan mobile phones have tsunami and/or earthquake warnings that save lives.So yeah I guess alerts are just useless

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
During Hurricane Sandy it was useful it had warned us of changed flood evacuation zones in NYC.
Also in Japan mobile phones have tsunami and/or earthquake warnings that save lives.So yeah I guess alerts are just useless

As for someone who lives in Japan the alerts are rare to arrive and often arrive just as the earthquake hits. Huge huge difference between warning of an earthquake or tornado where seconds matter. An alert about a blizzard which was predicted for days and on every news channel, every weather site and most every news website let alone newspapers is just useless information.

A person should be proactive and responsible for their own safety and being informed and not rely on their cell carrier to hold their hands and nanny them about such things.

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
I'm good checking the weather on my own. I definitely don't need any notifications from my service provider telling me its going to snow.

:edit:
marc11 said it way better than I did.

Last edited:

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

I survived the blizzard!! But yes I agree ATT needs to adopt this seems like common sense to me.

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
I was well aware of the storm but I just think it's wrong that I pay $200+ for a service and I don't get options other carriers do.

And when they do implimate it, you can quarantee that it won't be free. Someone has to pay it and the companies won't lose a cent, that'll all be passed down to the paying customers in some sort of a fee. Screw that. I have the news and the many different weather apps on my phone. I work outside for a living, weather is a big deal to me. I'd just like them to keep their fingers out of my pocket. It's getting old real quick. It's a snow storm in New England. Same as all the other years before cell phones.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I was well aware of the storm but I just think it's wrong that I pay $200+ for a service and I don't get options other carriers do.

With Verizon/Sprint u can't talk and surf at the same time.

That's a neener-neener for your friends. Now u can look at their eyes again.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
As for someone who lives in Japan the alerts are rare to arrive and often arrive just as the earthquake hits. Huge huge difference between warning of an earthquake or tornado where seconds matter. An alert about a blizzard which was predicted for days and on every news channel, every weather site and most every news website let alone newspapers is just useless information.

A person should be proactive and responsible for their own safety and being informed and not rely on their cell carrier to hold their hands and nanny them about such things.

Definitely understandable.The only point I'm making is there are good uses for the technology.It shouldn't just be thrown under the bus because some think its useless

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I found the alerts to be incredibly annoying so I turned them off. The sound is unbelievably loud and obnoxious. Had no idea where it was coming from the first couple times it happened. I thought the fire alarm was going off in my complex.

I also thought it was a little bit intrusive that it was automatically enabled from the getgo. At least prompt me when setting up the phone, or give the option to disable it when it does alert me.

I hate when the EBS goes off on TV and radio, don't force me to get it on my cell phone too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.