Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I've had my 5 for a month and i managed to get a ding on the front corner and with a light scratch on the screen beside the front camera. I knew the 5 wouldn't be as tough as the iPhone 4 but my scratch came from merely putting on an olloclip lens. Idk what the ding is from, it just happened today after shooting video.

Basically my mom just bought her an iPhone 5 16gb yesterday, and she would gladly trade phones with mine so i could have a new phone. Shes a complete novice, made me open it, didnt know there was a front camera, wants a big case, etc. But i would have to take hers back and pay $100 to upgrade to 32gb , does anyone think its worth it to do that just over a ding and scratch? I feel nervous after i just signed my 2 year contract and my phone already looks like this. Theres only 14 days for returns so this is my only chance to get rid of the damage it seems. Should I deal with it or swap and pay 100 bucks?

Usehername

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Ask yourself this, is $100 worth the minor scratches? Your phone is bound to get scratches sooner or later. I got better things to spend $100 on.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
This is a perfect opportunity to detach from the iPhones aesthetics and embrace its functionality. Since(if?) the blemishes don't affect the functionality of the device, just roll with it and enjoy using it. If it helps, just tell yourself, "It's just stuff'" and repeat as necessary. Replace it when it no longer meets your needs.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I agree with Usehername, it's only a matter of time before you get scratches on it. Can you upload a photo of your scratched phone so we can see how bad it is?

I can take some pics in morning, but its 3am here so im getting ready to sleep. But im leaning with you guys so far. Thankfully the scratch on the screen isn't on the LCD itself but the bezel above it or whatever you call it. But ill post pics soon.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have owned my since October 1st. Into the 5th month of ownership and I no longer care or worry about dings. The newness has worn off long ago. And so it will for you.

Aug 5, 2012
Does a ding really matter that much?

Stop being selfish and give that 100 to charity.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Ask yourself if it's worth spending $100 on a device that, even if replaced, will likely get dinged and/or have scratches again. Personally, I think it's a waste of money to try to keep a phone in perfect condition. They were meant to be carried around in your pocket and will suffer from wear and tear no matter how much you baby it.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Also not to be mean or ride and I know she offered it, but even if she doesn't mind of you don't want scratches is it right to stick your mom with a phone that has them?

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Dings and scratches = character. They're what make your gadget yours. They're how you can immediately distinguish it from a sea of identical gizmos.

Don't hide your scars; revel in them.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
No if the scratch isn't on the screen or camera lens, I wouldn't worry about it. Anyways most people use a case, so those scratches are not observed in normal use.

Btw curious, is the iphone 5 screen quality way better than the iphone 4 screen quality like reviewers are claiming. I don't mean the size, but rather the color, sharpness, etc. Thanks!

Usehername

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Btw curious, is the iphone 5 screen quality way better than the iphone 4 screen quality like reviewers are claiming. I don't mean the size, but rather the color, sharpness, etc. Thanks!

Looks the same to me. In my opinion, just marketing.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Buy a case. problem solved. The phone is gonna get scratched during your ownership. Just accept it. The first ones are always the hardest. Try owning a black car. Its much more of a pain.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Haha i said earlier i was gonna take pics, but its not even worth it cus the ding is so small and the scratch only shows up in direct light. You guys convince me to keep my original phone. Atleast it came out the box fine, i think while i made this thread out of "OMG it's not perfect anymore" shock. Thanks for all the responses, and i do donate and volunteer for cystis fibrosis research ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.