Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
I got into watching last season of The Walking Dead on Netflix from my iPad and slapped my head and thought 'I bet this would look pretty damn good on the new 27"er....' only to be stopped in my tracks because it requires Silverlight =(

Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to install Flash, Java or Silverlight on aything anymore unless I absolutely have to.

Until they release a way to watch without Silverlight on OSX I guess it's back to iPad viewing for me...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to install Flash, Java or Silverlight on aything anymore unless I absolutely have to.
Sounds like Netflix is reason enough to install silverlight, unless of course you can rent them from iTunes.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I got into watching last season of The Walking Dead on Netflix from my iPad and slapped my head and thought 'I bet this would look pretty damn good on the new 27"er....' only to be stopped in my tracks because it requires Silverlight =(

Until they release a way to watch without Silverlight on OSX I guess it's back to iPad viewing for me...

You should be happy! Apple totally agrees with you and doesn't install Flash, Java or Spotlight on OS X equipped machines!

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Sounds like Netflix is reason enough to install silverlight, unless of course you can rent them from iTunes.

I've got 3+ other devices that will display Netflix (iPad, iPhone, Xbox) so it's not like I'd have to do without.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

I believe that this is called "cutting ones nose off to spite their face"... I refuse to install Silverlight, therefore I withhold viewing pleasure from myself and say it's my iMac that bums me out.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I kind of have to agree about watching Netflix with Silverlight, I'm not a big fan of it as well. I really wish Netflix would just come up with a Mac app for their content and include HD and 5.1 surround on desktops. Netflix could also give QuickTime or iTunes access to their content as well. Bottom line, having to view content via plug-in is a terrible idea. Just be glad however, that Netflix doesn't force users to use Flash.

My personal experience with my 27" iMac is that Netflix isn't half bad. Shows and movies look great in fact. Just bite the bullet and instal Silverlight for now and hope that Netflix comes up with an app.

Also, this really isn't about the iMac itself but more of a content providing issue that involves Netflix and the studios. Apple is just the platform.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Excuse the silly question but what are the negative consequences of installing Silverlight? I know about java and flash which opens easy back door to your computer, is it the same for Silverlight?

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Any additional system wide plug in is a further, attractive, attack vector for malware.

The whole point of OSX and similar OSes is to minimize those vectors. Adding in Flash, Java and Silverlight weakens your defenses.

JPoetal

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Any additional system wide plug in is a further, attractive, attack vector for malware.

The whole point of OSX and similar OSes is to minimize those vectors. Adding in Flash, Java and Silverlight weakens your defenses.

Well I know Silverlight can be kind of resource and crash happy but didn't know of the security issues

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
That isn't "the whole point" of OSX. It's just another operating system, I have all 3 installed on my computer (Flash, Java, and Silverlight) and I've never had any consequence on my Macbook Pro, my father's Macbook Pro, and I won't have any issues on my incoming 27" iMac!

It makes your computer as vulnerable to malware/spyware as installing Windows on a separate partition will.

And to be completely honest all of this paranoia on spyware and malware shouldn't be an issue if you use your computers properly and maintain them in an orderly fashion. Malware comes from dealing with adult websites, downloading illegal files, and other things that can lead to them.

Personally I have my MBP backed up via Time Machine twice a week, do a PRAM Reset every week. And format/restore from Time Machine 4 times a year. Keeps my machine running as it was originally intended to, and saves me the hassle of having to buy a new computer because my "old one was slowing down". Also I'm a programmer, so having Xcode lagging is not an option for me on any of my own machines, so that cycle that I do in order to maintain my computers is just the best in terms of results.

Install Silverlight, and enjoy Netflix on your iMac you're not in danger of anything unless you're meddling with something illegal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've got 3+ other devices that will display Netflix (iPad, iPhone, Xbox) so it's not like I'd have to do without.

Well there you go - no need to watch netflix on your iMac and install Silverlight - problem solved.

Seriously, if you don't want to install the software that the service requires then don't use that service on the computer and it sounds like you have alternatives solutions. To each his own, don't like flash and silverlight you have the freedom not to install it.

You have a choice, watch your shows/movies on an iPad or watch it on your 27" iMac. Personally I'd choose the larger display but that's just me.

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Well I know Silverlight can be kind of resource and crash happy but didn't know of the security issues

Here's a few examples among many. Google Silverlight Vulnerabilities.
http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/vulnerability/ms201202009

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms11-039

I'm not paranoid. I backup regularly. I take reasonable precautions. On my PC boxes I install Silverlight and use Chrome for Flash when I have to.

But I draw the line at plugins on my OSX boxes. There simply is no need for me to have to install Flash, Java or Silverlight on them. With the exception of Netflix. If that means i have to do without Netflix well I guess that's the price I pay for my stance. It's still a bummer.

Jonathan20022

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013

I'm not paranoid. I backup regularly. I take reasonable precautions. On my PC boxes I install Silverlight and use Chrome for Flash when I have to.

But I draw the line at plugins on my OSX boxes. There simply is no need for me to have to install Flash, Java or Silverlight on them. With the exception of Netflix. If that means i have to do without Netflix well I guess that's the price I pay for my stance. It's still a bummer.

That is definitely your choice, but don't blame the machine for your choice.

Mac devices can handle silverlight without a problem, and both instances that you provided give a prompt and simple solution to the problem. Sorry to inform you but OSX isn't the tightest system in the world. Thankfully enough to keep people from noticing malware all up in their face, but it's still as vulnerable as any other operating system or plugin.

If it's not too much of an issue for you, then enjoy your device. There's no reason to call it a bummer when you can fix your own conundrum.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Well the title of this thread is totally misleading to say the least. I thought the OP was bummed out about his new iMac.:rolleyes:. This isn't even about the iMac at all. Netflix requires Silverlight, plain and simple. That's their choice of media player to play movies on the Mac. Oh well. Believe me, I try to avoid MS software products at all cost but if that's Netflix's decision to use Silverlight then that's their decision. Microsoft most likely owns some portion, if not all of Netflix. I've yet to run into any non-Microsoft software that requires Silverlight.

@OP, let it go about these plug-ins causing your Mac vulnerability. Everybody and their grandmother is automatically vulnerable to some form of attacks the moment we connect to the internet. If you think you're protecting yourself by not installing Flash, Silverlight or any other non-Apple media player, think again.

This thread belongs in the Mac software forum.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA

If i am reading the links correctly they had to do with .net and silverlight for windows and not for OSX... or microsoft never patched the mac version...

and you run silverlight on Windows but won't install it on your Mac... you may be paraniod...

4Hummer

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Change your safari user agent to IPAD. no silver light required

safari-new-user-agent.png

Kadath

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
If i am reading the links correctly they had to do with .net and silverlight for windows and not for OSX... or microsoft never patched the mac version...

and you run silverlight on Windows but won't install it on your Mac... you may be paraniod...

Nope, scroll down, the issue affected silverlight for OSX too.

My windows boxes are a life support system for Steam =p

----------

Change your safari user agent to IPAD. no silver light required

Now that has possibilities! Also, I realized I could Airplay the iPad to the iMac! I may try that tonight.

Thanks for actually suggesting an alternative other than telling me to not be a baby like the other posters. =p

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
I am bummed by my new iMac because I refuse to open a web browser.

I can't access any web pages on my new iMac and if that's the price I have to pay for my stance, then that's ok with me, but I still wish I could get to webpages.

Until Steve Jobs creates an application that allows me to browse web pages without using a web browser, I'll just have to do without.

Some people have said that I'm insane, but I just like to think of myself as responsibly cautious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.