Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Whats up guys. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I bought an extra lightning cable that I keep in my car. One day I needed to use it at work but I only had the cable no plug. So I bought a cheap $10 AC-USB plug looks just like apples but its black. it worked fine for awhile. today I noticed when I plug it in with that plug and touch the back plate I get a slight vibration but what it really is is a MILD electric shock!? so weird. in the car using a cigg lighter usb adapter it doesnt do it and at home with my 10w ipad AC adapter it doesnt do it. Anyone else experienced this? I gotta try the cheap black charger elsewhere maybe it was just the outlet. but i plugged it in and unplugged in numerous times and always got the shock when it was plugged in.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
When you buy cheap knockoffs, that is more likely to happen. And every time you get a shock, who knows what it is doing to your phone.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've had mild shocks from my 4S with the Apple cable, connected to an HP display. I haven't had any since plugging into the computer directly. Presumably the display is exceeding the specs of the computer (and Apple charger) but I don't know whether it complies with the USB standards or not.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I have a MacBook Air which is made of aluminum and when I hold it with my left hand I've been able to give my girlfriend slight electric shocks with my right. It seems to be common with Apple's products made from aluminum.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
the cable is only $19, yet you bought a phone that cost hundreds of dollars more... is that $19 really too much to ask?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wait until smoke comes out of the phone. Then replace the charger with an Apple one. :eek:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
the cable is only $19, yet you bought a phone that cost hundreds of dollars more... is that $19 really too much to ask?

i spent the $19 on the apple cable. the ac adapter I needed right then and all they had was the cheap knock off plug haha. I just thought it was odd that a generic plug can make the entire back of the phone conductive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.