Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
Experience, hmmm…

Mr. Cook! Experience, we're talking experience here:

What about a larger screen experience? What about Swype-like input experience? Take SwiftKey (with Flow, its greatest asset!), integrate it system-wide (as you do Emoji since a couple of years), buy Fleksy, integrate it, too as an alternative input to choose from at will.
Experience, experience we're talking here: a hampered experience of a small (and very narrow) screen, the compromised experience of jabbing at a capacitative touchscreen (instead of swiping along with a finger)? An autocorrection that, although quite a revolution at the time of its launch, is evidently inadequate now - it will keep on "correcting" words I've been typing a thousand times, yet not bother correcting those I mistype accidentally, time and time again?
Experience! Experience of having to repeatedly restart and quit iTunes until all the through-iPhone purchases have been transferred to iTunes before I can sync the two without the dreaded "iTunes can't determine the apps installed on the iPhone" error?

There's a lot good to speak of your products; in heart I'm the same Apple fanatic I were ten years ago, but I wonder if you realise how aggressive your competition is in resolution of catching up with, and overtaking you? I'd say, their endeavour is paying.
AAPL stock continues (likely, it's being manipulated to) crumble, largely thanks to your resort of acquiescence and competition's thirst for market dominion.
An iPad, its lower screen resolution and limited memory nonwithstanding, costs more than a Nexus 10! Do you count on iOS apps and inertia alone? Well, inertia is a fleeting advantage, nothing to reckon on for the long run.

Get your act together - have Jonathan Ive (or someone more prudent than yourself) replace you if that's what it takes to rejuvenate Apple!

PS: On the positive side, SIRI's voice recognition algorithm in its current (evolved) iteration is better than competitors'. With proper English, at any rate.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

At this morning's Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke about a number of topics including vaguely addressing rumors of a possible future iPhone with a larger screen.

Left to right: iPhone 5, Galaxy S III, "iPhone Plus", Galaxy Note II, courtesy Marco Arment
Cook focused his comments on the user experience, saying that was more important than specifications. Answering a question about larger screen sizes, Cook had this to say (transcript from Macworld):
Cook went on to talk about smartphone displays, saying that "some people are focused on size." He explained that some things are more important than simply size, citing the poor color saturation and brightness on OLED displays.
Going back to language that he has used before, Cook said that Apple will "never ... make a crappy product." He said that for new products, Apple must design "something great, something bold, something ambitious."

One thing he didn't mention was Apple's frequent assertion that the iPhone's screen is the perfect size for "your thumb" -- the ability to hold and use the phone in one hand -- a fact that was mentioned in one of the first television ads for the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Tim Cook: For iPhones, The Experience Is Key, Not Just a Larger Screen

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Translation : We will make a larger screen iPhone.

This is what Steve would do when he said people dont read books anymore or when people dont watch videos on an iPod and Apple wont make 7 inch tablet.

Sort of like a way to distract of where Apple is heading. And Tim is doing it now.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I wonder if anyone at Apple is actually using Android to compare or are they all using iPhone assuming they're still the best?

There's a reason why Android is slowly taking over.

Yawn... it's not. Well actually it can!! And it should in many ways

But as a usable UI it ain't all that... as a multipurpose OS... it's great.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
He knows what to do. Let's just hope he keeps doing it. I definitely experienced some "Aha!" moments when using the new Apple TV.

The idea of bigger phones being better just because they're bigger is retarded, but please give the iPad the ability to view >1 app at once. It's obviously what a tablet would be good at.

Last edited:

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Damn i mean seriously people, does no one look at it realistically, that it was more of something we were treated to and not the norm, i mean was no one a fan of apples products before the ipod and iphone, we didnt get blown away every year and even if we did most likely we didnt purchase each new iteration, the aha moment was thinking about or using windows and thats forever all the aha moment i need, all the rest is lagniappe. Yes i love it and would love to be wowed, but i mean.....hell i dont know its just im only 26 and i bought a new phone as often as i could in high school saving up my money forever searching for something pleasent, had the first "smartphone" even it was a sprint Samsung SPH-i300 if i recall, just a palm pilot with a dialer basically, never until the iphone did everything just work properly, i mean go buy a 6" android phone and use it if you want a huge screen. I would be interested in a bigger screen iphone too, at least i would have before the ipad mini which i now take everywhere and has made my iphone needed much less, but if they dont make a bigger screen for years, im not going anywhere, at least not in the current market. I guess thats what my big issue with all these complaints is, if screen size is the only thing that kept you from using android, then just go switch over to android. I dont know why i bother, everyone just use what will make you most happy at the time, or better yet do the jobs you need it to the best.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I kind of read this opposite, I read it as Tim Cook basically confirming a larger iPhone will be coming at some point, whether it be this year or next. He made no mention of how the iPhone 5 screen is the "perfect" size, and he also didn't deny a larger screen phone. His comment that they can't discuss future products basically says to me that a larger iPhone is on the way. He seems to be using the reality distortion field to position and frame Apple's marketing of this future device. They're trying to position it as something that'll be amazing and enhance the user experience, as opposed to just following market trends.

At least that's how I read it, could be completely wrong.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
This Tim Cook guy is skilled in politician-speak.

Look, Tim, I want all the good stuff you said -- the experience, the quality etc. AND I want a larger screen.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

Why can't CEO's just speak straight?

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Tim, lately i've seen people saying, "oh no" rather than "aha!"
Get that battery working again. Money doesn't grow on tree...so make products that would give us that "aha" moment.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Wouldn't mind the ability to customize more as well. I have my Macbook Pro very personalized without sacrificing anything the OS has to offer. You couldn't pry that thing from my hands if you tried. Don't feel that way about my phone.
Could you give a few examples of customisation of your MBP that are particularly dear to you?

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
LOL! thx for the laugh

---

never understood the marketing aspect of using just one hand. i never use my iphone with lne hand ... my hand would turn numb after 5 minutes

gladly, .....i'd give the same treatment to the line about one hand but I shouldnt get going. :p

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Whilst I appreciate your use of the word Bollocks and it circumvention of the swear filter here... it's it still true.

The Samsung S3 requires 2 hands - BUT the Samsung note only requires a cock.

Get a hold on one is what I'd suggest to you. Swiping along the keyboard with my left thumb I think I rather have big hands or all that guitar playing boosted my left thumb dexterity above average! ;-)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Translation: Our OS doesn't scale to resolutions and screen sizes without developers have to rewrite their apps so I will make excuses why we don't offer other screen sizes.
It does on the retina MBPs. You can select from a number of different resolutions.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Customer experience. Like customisation and being able to delete/hide stock apps? That would improve my iOS customer experience, a bit of freedom within the OS.

Oh and a bigger screen. :p

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
The only thing predictable are the comments here these days.

Predictable comments for a predictable company.

If you're "bored" with iOS and Apple in general and you're not getting the aha moment any more - switch to Android. You'll get that aha moment each time the device does what you want it to, if you can get it to do what you want it to.

Didn't have to. Chose Android right off the bat.

Apple doesn't need to add animated icons or active weather lock screens - those kind of things are great if you're so bored you need your device to entertain you, but if you actually use your device these things seem rather pointless. Apple created such a simple OS that only takes a swipe and a click or two to get to things that can entertain you - and that's just too much work for people?

But they have them and more in OS X.

Obviousness you're an iOS guy, which is fine. You want it simple and have it the way Apple gives it to you. But some like more freedom so they go Android.

If that sounds like I'm insulting you, I'm not. You have to admit it's true.

Tim Cook failed. People just want a larger screen. Smaller screen = poor experience, larger screen = good experience.

Not failed, rather failing IMO. I'll wait for the iPhone 5s and iOS 7. If their selling point is .25" wider screen so you have an extra column (as opposed to row) of icons, then he's a fail.

So you're opinion = everybody?

My opinion as well. I'm awesome so nobody else's opinion matters. :D

That's a joke btw. Don't get your Apple panties in a bunch...

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
"They want that "Aha!" moment each time that they use the product"

Get working on i OS7 then.

"Aha" I need to open a new tab in Safari to make it unfreeze. "Aha" hold the power and home button to reset. "Aha" there is no automatic photo backup option on 3G. "Aha" I need another new adaptor (and "Aha" chineese knock-offs don't cost $30).
My aha moments lately.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
In short: iPhone with a larger screen is coming.

Only question: this year or next year.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
If you're "bored" with iOS and Apple in general and you're not getting the aha moment any more - switch to Android. You'll get that aha moment each time the device does what you want it to, if you can get it to do what you want it to.

Apple doesn't need to add animated icons or active weather lock screens - those kind of things are great if you're so bored you need your device to entertain you, but if you actually use your device these things seem rather pointless. Apple created such a simple OS that only takes a swipe and a click or two to get to things that can entertain you - and that's just too much work for people?
iOS's UI was created 6 years ago for a screen that's 20% the resolution of today's screen and a device that had significantly less processing power (ARM 11@412 MHz, 128MB RAM) than Apple's latest (ARMv7 dual-core CPU@1.3 GHz, triple core GPU, 1GB RAM).

Add to this that the original iPhone back then had a very limited feature set compared to what smartphones (including iPhone 5) can do today, and what consumers expect.

It's more than about time for a new UI.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple will never make a crappy product..... Hmmmmm Apple maps is crap, and every iOS update recently has been buggy in some way like the latest one flattening iPhone 4S batteries. Think he needs to rephrase what he says.

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
This Tim Cook guy is skilled in politician-speak.

Look, Tim, I want all the good stuff you said -- the experience, the quality etc. AND I want a larger screen.

Those are not mutually exclusive.

Why can't CEO's just speak straight?

Reminds me of when he said that "Wireless charging just adds one more cable"! He's not a straight talker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.