Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
And you want to replace it every 8 to 12 months because firmware updates make it obsolete ?

If a real, full-size tv were to materialize, APPLE wouldn't think of obsoleting it within at least five to six years. To the contrary, firmware and software updates could in fact, make this a reality. APPLE isn't dumb enough to expect people to buy a new tv every year or so.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If a real, full-size tv were to materialize, APPLE wouldn't think of obsoleting it within at least five to six years. To the contrary, firmware and software updates could in fact, make this a reality. APPLE isn't dumb enough to expect people to buy a new tv every year or so.

Really ? i think Apple IS greedy enough to do exactly this, Like the iPhone, iPad (probably iPad mini) they will release a TV, charge mega $$ for it, then 8 months later roll out a new model with a new firmware, that firmware update for the old TV then half cripples while at the same time omits key "Features" that the new set has (despite the features being software only and would have easily run on the old model)

That is Apples business model, were all used to it by now surely ?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Really ? i think Apple IS greedy enough to do exactly this, Like the iPhone, iPad (probably iPad mini) they will release a TV, charge mega $$ for it, then 8 months later roll out a new model with a new firmware, that firmware update for the old TV then half cripples while at the same time omits key "Features" that the new set has (despite the features being software only and would have easily run on the old model) That is Apples business model, were all used to it by now surely ?

You're talking about lower priced or heavily subsidized iOS devices mostly, where people typically are eligible to upgrade every two years. But they haven't done it with their Macs, and doing it with expensive items like full-size TVs, would be business suicide.

One more reason why I continue to believe, a fully functioning set-top box just makes more sense.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
They can get content. They already have Music, Movies, TV Shows, books and Magazines, Apps.

Why can't they negotiate Streaming live TV.
They could provide Apple Channels. The Equivalent of Sattelite or Cable Channels only sometimes stream live content and at other times running the programming You (the consumer) want to see. They are just one more Cable TV Network Distributor. Only one with a super customer base.

If all those other cable companies can beg, borrow or steal content then why can't Apple? Saying yes to Apple does not exclude other distributors.

You'd think that CNN, ABC, Fox and similar companies would love to deal with one super distributor.

What could go wrong?:D

Problem is Apple won't want to take all the crap along with decent content as the cable providers currently do. This is not popular with the networks because a lot of what they produce is crap and only sells because the cable providers bundle it all up as channel packages effectively forcing it on their customers who would otherwise only choose the shows they want and pay a lot less. If everyone had a real choice a lot of shows would get no takers at all.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
It's obsolete as soon as the company stops making updates for it.

Obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. My first generation iPod touch still works, but it's obsolete because I can't upgrade iOS past version 3.1.3

It's main function (PMP) still works doesn't it? I'm sure most other stuff still works on it too. Besides, it's a 5 year old device so what do you expect - 5 years is an eternity in todays tech world. Also it will only cost you £60 to upgrade to 32gb 4th gen (from 32gb 1st gen) if you want to enjoy newer stuff.

I prefer to ride the 'upgrade' wave every year with things like iPods, staying one behind the current gen. Maybe every 3 years with a TV. Keeps you pretty close to the cutting edge and doesn't cost a fortune.

Jstretch

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
I've been holding off on a new TV purchase for two years waiting on Apple to do something, but now I've come to the realization my reasons for wanting a new TV are not display related, they're software and content related.

I have as big of a TV as I can fit in my living room and it's full 1080p, which is plenty good for me, especially considering most of the content is only 720p to begin with.

If Apple could make a set top box that would be the brains of my TV allowing me to seamlessly watch TV and do all the things I do on my macbook, I'd be interested in that product. I'd especially be interested if it would allow me to easily eliminate my cable bill.

Bottom line- Software and content, not display are what will encourage me to buy.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
...writes the guy with nine products crossed off his "stuff I own" signature.

are you aware that ALL of the tv manufacturers (or audio receiver manufacturers, or...) update their models almost every year? do you rush out and buy the newest year's model? why not? so what makes you think you would do so if it were from apple?

i dont update my apple laptop every year either. nor my car. you hit a price point where you keep it for years, despite improved annual releases.

Sure, and I don't see anything wrong with always having the latest thing if you're able to afford it, but the poster I was replying to suggested that somehow an Apple TV would be made obsolete slower than today's TVs are.

AtaStrumf

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012

OK, so here's my prediction as to what Apple TV is gonna be like. Since they always push boundaries way beyond anyone else, I'll say it's gonna be a super duper (ie awesome colours, contrast, response, etc.) 3D (no glasses) 4k, 120Hz retina like display with sweet iOS powered interface (iPad style) and it's gonna use gestures (waving hands) and voice to control it. Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
OK, so here's my prediction as to what Apple TV is gonna be like. Since they always push boundaries way beyond anyone else, I'll say it's gonna be a super duper (ie awesome colours, contrast, response, etc.) 3D (no glasses) 4k, 120Hz retina like display with sweet iOS powered interface (iPad style) and it's gonna use gestures (waving hands) and voice to control it. Did I miss anything?

lol... nope, i reckon your spot on.

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago
No bezel

I was a Costco a few weeks ago and saw a edge to edge tv with a bezel so small it was hard to tell it was really there. It was from LG, the Samsung TV near it had probably a bezel that also pretty dang thin. I can't really see how Apple could make the bezel thinner.

Oh, I CAN, definitely! It's totally possible to have a no bezel television. It's just that the glass, the LED pixels and any other layers for the display, etc. would have to extend to the very edge of the glass and cap the front edge of the TV's casing. I'm sure it could be done.

And it would be balls-out cool if the display were WHITE when powered down.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Couldn't agree more Apple are working hard on getting the content providers on board but judging by the press so far its hard going.

Oh it would be. I work in the industry and dealing with heads up their asses executives is the bane of things. They are the ones that refuse digital offerings saying it would erode the Ratings (which are only based on 25K houses in the country) and make it easier for pirates instead of the truth which is that they are encouraging the thing they are trying to stop. They refuse to allow rentals of movies after they are out of the theater because it will encourage folks to wait or cut home video buys later, when all it really does is (you guessed it) encourage pirating.

Good shows go off the air due to poor viewership as indicated by the ratings when they might have managed more funds from online sales if the timing and price were right. Not enough to fund the whole thing but perhaps enough, combined with the ratings money, to come much closer.

Not to mention if the nets etc would publicly promise buy and air/upload whole seasons, especially on heavily serialized shows. And it's not just in the US. One of my fav shows from the UK went 5 episodes which is the typical length for shows especially back in 2007 when the show was on. But there was no Series 2 with tons of unanswered questions including a lead left half dead. That kind of thing happens all the time and it makes viewers fearful to even start watching if the story is cut off without a proper end.

----------

They can get content. They already have Music, Movies, TV Shows, books and Magazines, Apps.

But they don't have everything. And what they have is not necessarily the quality, pricing or timing Apple might want. I mean do you really think they want their users to have to wait for as much as a year after the season ends to get things off HBO. Or to have seasons missing (my fav, lets have seasons 1, 2 and 4 with 3 no where to be found). Do you think they are happy that there are shows that are only in SD and not at least 720. or that some countries can't have certain shows and when they do it's not in their native language or at least English with subtitles.

These are the things that users are yelling about and if Apple could improve them then iTunes would be better positioned to be a valid alternative to cable.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Oh it would be. I work in the industry and dealing with heads up their asses executives is the bane of things. They are the ones that refuse digital offerings saying it would erode the Ratings (which are only based on 25K houses in the country) and make it easier for pirates instead of the truth which is that they are encouraging the thing they are trying to stop. They refuse to allow rentals of movies after they are out of the theater because it will encourage folks to wait or cut home video buys later, when all it really does is (you guessed it) encourage pirating.

Good shows go off the air due to poor viewership as indicated by the ratings when they might have managed more funds from online sales if the timing and price were right. Not enough to fund the whole thing but perhaps enough, combined with the ratings money, to come much closer.

Not to mention if the nets etc would publicly promise buy and air/upload whole seasons, especially on heavily serialized shows. And it's not just in the US. One of my fav shows from the UK went 5 episodes which is the typical length for shows especially back in 2007 when the show was on. But there was no Series 2 with tons of unanswered questions including a lead left half dead. That kind of thing happens all the time and it makes viewers fearful to even start watching if the story is cut off without a proper end.

Just like the record industry in the 90s they are failing to see new technology as an opportunity instead fearing it and dogmatically refusing to engage with it. It doesn't fit in with their current mind set and they are so narrow minded and fearful that they are unable to realise its potential. All this is doing is playing into the hands of the pirates who will distribute their content anyway to a waiting world. Their is a large global viewing public who are ready to pay for content and the networks just don't see the benefit of this because it doesn't fit with their current ratings based model of success. Pretty sad really, I had hoped they would have learned from the music industries failures.

jacobbrady

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
This has never made sense to me. Television sets are now so commoditized that there seems to be no point to Apple entering the market. Everything Apple would do well fits in a small black box. Why mess with the rest of the set and all the logistics that go with that kind of supply chain.

FWIW
DLM

Replace the word 'television' with 'cell phone' and it's exactly what people were saying pre-iPhone.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
A new TV, a new watch and a new iPad Pro....plus the new iPhone XL. Hmmm Apple will be the Top leader in consumer electronics in two years... And here everyone is fighting for the best cellphone lol

Cellphones are history for Apple !

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Abel's Rule...

It's almost like self induced punishment to read the comments on this forum.

Apple is most certainly working on a TV.

It WILL be awesome and innovative.

It WILL sell crazy like a schizophrenic zygote.

Apple will, unsurprisingly, retain it's technological crown.

Not a single forum member will admit they were wrong.

And round we go.

I've actually seen a staggering correlation between the degree that everyone thinks an Apple product will fail and the amount of success it actually gets. It's hard to think of an Apple product that failed in the past that wasn't thought of as a pretty sure bet to succeed and vice versa.

Of course, I could be wrong.

P. S. I had no idea schizophrenic zygotes were selling well - where can I buy one?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.