Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Anyone know if i can only just set time machine to just backup my spreadsheets only from selecting a folder or must i back up the whole HDD first ?

Not really interested in backing up all system files etc.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
At least through the UI you can only exclude folders, not do an "exclude all except" kind of setting. So you could just exclude each of the system folders if you'd like. Keep in mind that most application settings and data are stored in the /Library and ~/Library folders, so you may want to back those up, even if you exclude /Applications and /System.

If you have a small number of files you want to back up, you might consider a different option like Dropbox.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
At least through the UI you can only exclude folders, not do an "exclude all except" kind of setting. So you could just exclude each of the system folders if you'd like. Keep in mind that most application settings and data are stored in the /Library and ~/Library folders, so you may want to back those up, even if you exclude /Applications and /System.

If you have a small number of files you want to back up, you might consider a different option like Dropbox.

There is no option through the UI to exclude anything.

Am using the icon on the top to access the time machine not a particular software.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

There is no option through the UI to exclude anything.

Am using the icon on the top to access the time machine not a particular software.

Click on the icon.

Click on options on the bottom right corner.

Exclude your hard drive.

Then uncheck what you want to back up.

May I ask why you don't want to back up the whole thing?

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Click on the icon.

Click on options on the bottom right corner.

Exclude your hard drive.

Then uncheck what you want to back up.

May I ask why you don't want to back up the whole thing?

Just need my spreadsheets backed up, otherwise i'll do it manually.

Not bothered about system files as it'll take up too much space for something i can just reinstall if i get a problem with it.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
if your spreadsheets are not huge why not going for google drive or similar, you will put all of them in the respective folder and they are all backup and accessible from anywhere...

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
So I take it, there's no real way to back up just spreadsheets on its own without backing up the full drive first.

I already store it on Google drive, but thought it would just be easier to have a automatic system that would do it every night.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
So I take it, there's no real way to back up just spreadsheets on its own without backing up the full drive first.

I already store it on Google drive, but thought it would just be easier to have a automatic system that would do it every night.

Unfortunately Time Machine was designed as a turn on and forget backup solution for your entire drive. You can exclude particular folders or an entire drive, but as you have discovered it is not very easy to just backup a few folders. Time Machine has an exclude function, but not a include function.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Yes there is. Exclude the whole drive.

Then uncheck what you'd like to back up.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yes there is. Exclude the whole drive.

Then uncheck what you'd like to back up.

what uncheck facility ? You can only exclude drives or directories or files, I have my whole HD2 drive excluded - there is no way to uncheck folders within that excluded drive, so that they are included.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Ohhh...

what uncheck facility ? You can only exclude drives or directories, I have my whole HD2 drive excluded - there is no way to uncheck folders within that excluded drive, so that they are included.

My bad. I was thinking of a TM utility I used before (set times, allowed you to not back up certain stuff) but it doesn't work under ML.

Sorry!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Get a utility like Carbon Copy Cloner and set up a scheduled task to copy the files you want backed up. You can set the times you want he task to run, like lunch and night.

CCC is also excellent for making a clone of your boot drive to use if your main drive dies. Just plug it in,boot from it, and you're back in business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.