Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Here is why it should'nt be a "watch":

Most people that want a watch already have one. Few people would trade an expensive watch for an Apple watch. I don't know about you, but I don't want my business popping up on my wrist for everyone to see. Also, I foresee that being quite distracting. Many people without a watch use their phone as a timepiece anyway.

The Apple Way:

Where everyone has failed, Apple will succeed. Every other accessory like this has failed because of poor implementation and trying to cram too many functions into it. It will be more akin to a wristband than a watch.

The Purpose:

It is going to be minimalist and very focused on doing three key things elegantly and at a cheap price point.

1)It will let you know when you receive a call/text/email/notification.
Think of the Macbook and the invisible battery indicators that are LED lit. Apple will put in a specialized icon for each notification (phone,email,text,app notification) and back lit them with a strip of LEDs. Simple, lowpower, cheap, elegant, and practically invisible when not indicating something. They will also include some type of tactile feedback which could be toggled on/off or intensity. It could also tie in with iOS "VIP" to alert you if it is important enough to check it that second.

2)Remove the need for Passwords:
This has been discussed already, but it is a very compelling reason to buy this product.

3)Never Leave Your iPhone Again: It could deliver tactile feedback if your iPhone gets out of a preset range so you never forget it again or leave it at a bar;). A very common problem for many people. This will be the "Aha! I need this!" moment for many people.

The hardware:

I Foresee Apple using a cleverly designed built in solar panel setup so many people will never have to charge it. A cable or conductive charging method will also be included. It will be waterproof and very durable. The design itself will be minimalist and include the usual level of Apple polish. Most importantly, I feel this is *REALISTIC* with today's technology and could be mass produced. No screen needed.

That is all.

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'm excited about the watch, as long as it includes:

#1 Time Machine Not the usual Apple backup Time Machine, but a real, full fledged, flux capacitating TIME MACHINE. People will complain about the cost, but the actual expense will be mitigated by travelling to the past with a sports almanac.

#2 Weapons Grade Lasers Just in case you set the time wrong and end up in a period with super intelligent lizard people bent on eating your fancy Apple watch. Think about it. Apple would be stupid not to include this feature, and I predict their stock would suffer if they don't. Not enough people will come back from the future to buy more Apple products.

And most importantly:

#3 A LOT OF GEEBEES Pretty much speaks for itself. No one will buy a gadget without tons of geebees, so if Apple is smart they will put lots in their watch.

If Apple does not comply 100% I predict the iWatch will be a collossal failure, having only millions upon millions of sales, and extremely high customer satisfaction. It's what they deserve if they cut these corners...

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I'm excited about the watch, as long as it includes:

#1 Time Machine Not the usual Apple backup Time Machine, but a real, full fledged, flux capacitating TIME MACHINE. People will complain about the cost, but the actual expense will be mitigated by travelling to the past with a sports almanac.

#2 Weapons Grade Lasers Just in case you set the time wrong and end up in a period with super intelligent lizard people bent on eating your fancy Apple watch. Think about it. Apple would be stupid not to include this feature, and I predict their stock would suffer if they don't. Not enough people will come back from the future to buy more Apple products.

And most importantly:

#3 A LOT OF GEEBEES Pretty much speaks for itself. No one will buy a gadget without tons of geebees, so if Apple is smart they will put lots in their watch.

If Apple does not comply 100% I predict the iWatch will be a collossal failure, having only millions upon millions of sales, and extremely high customer satisfaction. It's what they deserve if they cut these corners...

Good point.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Here is why it wont be a "watch":

Most people that want a watch already have one. Few people would trade an expensive watch for an Apple watch. I don't know about you, but I don't want my business popping up on my wrist for everyone to see. Also, I foresee that being quite distracting. Many people use their phone as a timepiece anyway.

The Apple Way:

Where everyone has failed, Apple will succeed. Every other accessory like this has failed because of poor implementation and trying to cram too many functions into it.

The Purpose:

It is going to be minimalist and very focused on doing three key things elegantly and at a cheap price point.

1)It will let you know when you receive a call/text/email/notification.
Think of the Macbook and the invisible battery indicators that are LED lit. Apple will put in a specialized icon for each notification (phone,email,text,app notification) and back lit them with a strip of LEDs. Simple, lowpower, cheap, elegant, and practically invisible when not indicating something. They will also include some type of tactile feedback which could be toggled on/off or intensity. It could also tie in with iOS "VIP" to alert you if it is important enough to check it that second.

2)Remove the need for Passwords:
This has been discussed already, but it is a very compelling reason to buy this product.

3)Never Leave Your iPhone Again: It could deliver tactile feedback if your iPhone gets out of a preset range so you never forget it again or leave it at a bar;). A very common problem for many people. This will be the "Aha! I need this!" moment for many people.

The hardware:

I Foresee Apple using a cleverly designed built in solar panel setup so many people will never have to charge it. A cable or conductive charging method will also be included. It will be waterproof and very durable. The design itself will be minimalist and include the usual level of Apple polish. Most importantly, I feel this is *REALISTIC* with today's technology and could be mass produced. No screen needed.

That is all.

I disagree - not with your reasons, they're all very good. But no they're not reasons it won't be a watch, they're reasons it shouldn't be a watch.

Apple won't create something like you've described. It will undoubtedly have a screen, look garish and ridiculous, and be overpriced. Either lots of people or no one will buy it but either way there will be loads of people slagging it off as per usual :p

The 2 main reasons I think this are as follows:
- They want to be seen as being 'innovative' which means it'll have mountains of mediocre features rather than a few great functions.
- They won't be able to justify a high price on what is essentially a glorified proximity sensor, and god forbid apple will sell something reasonably priced.

As I come to the end of my post I realise this probably sounds very apple-bashing and I'd like to apologise for that - perhaps I was a little exaggerative and as always this is IMO and YMMV :)

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
One of Ive's big heroes, Dieter Rams at Brahn, used to design watches. It may just be that Ive would like to make his mark in another area of industrial design. I can't see where Apple makes a lot of profit on this, though.

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I disagree - not with your reasons, they're all very good. But no they're not reasons it won't be a watch, they're reasons it shouldn't be a watch.

Apple won't create something like you've described. It will undoubtedly have a screen, look garish and ridiculous, and be overpriced. Either lots of people or no one will buy it but either way there will be loads of people slagging it off as per usual :p

The 2 main reasons I think this are as follows:
- They want to be seen as being 'innovative' which means it'll have mountains of mediocre features rather than a few great functions.
- They won't be able to justify a high price on what is essentially a glorified proximity sensor, and god forbid apple will sell something reasonably priced.

As I come to the end of my post I realise this probably sounds very apple-bashing and I'd like to apologise for that - perhaps I was a little exaggerative and as always this is IMO and YMMV :)

Now that Ive is very much in charge, I think we will see something like this. The first whack at wearable computing for the masses is going to be simple or else I doubt most folks would buy it. He doesn't do garish or ridiculous and obsesses over every minute detail while putting functionality first. If they put out something garish and ridiculous then its a sign that he is losing power and someone else is gaining it. In which case, I would sell my shares.

P.S. I like your suggestion and edited my post, thanks!

Last edited:

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
So you say everyone else has failed at this market, well I think the folks at Pebble Watch have something to say otherwise. So far they are doing quite well and Apple has delivered nothing. Apple's offering will once again be over priced and something that is proprietary and won't allow you to pair it with any other BT smartphone and require an iOS device to be useful. You see requiring a full ecosystem is a failure, not everyone wants an iPhone and given how well Android sells around the world Apple should not be so quick to ignore those who want that additional technology benefit but don't want an phone that is over priced to some consumers.

Jakeoster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
So you say everyone else has failed at this market, well I think the folks at Pebble Watch have something to say otherwise. So far they are doing quite well and Apple has delivered nothing. Apple's offering will once again be over priced and something that is proprietary and won't allow you to pair it with any other BT smartphone and require an iOS device to be useful. You see requiring a full ecosystem is a failure, not everyone wants an iPhone and given how well Android sells around the world Apple should not be so quick to ignore those who want that additional technology benefit but don't want an phone that is over priced to some consumers.

There is enough iSheep (like myself) that adding support for any other phone would not make or break the product. I admit I am because Apple makes products my OCD self wants to buy, the day they stop making things I want I will move on. Since when has Apple made anything universal anyway?

Ive never heard of the Pepple Watch until you mentioned it. I looked it up out of curiosity and it is not what I am describing.

Last edited:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I for one would use a nicely designed iWatch to tell the time...

On another note, is it mere coincidence that the square Nano design we all loved so much has been abandoned?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.