Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As previewed back in November, Scosche has released its lineup of third-party Lightning car and home chargers, including the first official retractable Lightning cable on the market.

lightningscosche.jpg
The lineup includes both 12W ($34.99) and 5W ($29.99) wall chargers, as well as 12W ($29.99) and 5W ($24.99) coiled car chargers. The 5W models are designed to charge the iPhone and iPod touch only, but are $5 cheaper. The 3 foot retractable Lightning-to-USB cable is available for $24.99.

Scosche had previously announced "Pro" models that included convertible micro-USB and Lightning tips. The company tells MacRumors that these models have been cancelled, but didn't say why.

The chargers and cables are available at Scosche.com as well as AT&T, Wal-Mart and a number of other Apple Premium Retailers.

Article Link: Scosche Lightning Cable Charging Adapters Now Available

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
They are pretty ugly and cheap looking for the price. But at least we're starting to get more third party lightning stuff...

mscann

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
I got the car charger in the mail yesterday. The connector tip is bigger than the apple one but smaller than the griffin, belkin and ATT ones. It didnt fit in 2 out of 3 cases that I own. Will probably return it

starzplacez

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Not my style.. especially at $30+ dollar shipped.. Here is a coupon I picked up at MacWorld though for those that need it.. Enjoy!

MACWORLD13 - 25% Off Any Order!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I hate coiled cords. Picked up a Belkin iPhone 5 car charger for $20 shipped from them a couple months back when they offered 20% off everything on the site.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
All the third party certified lightning cables I have noticed come in black. Does Apple have a prohibition against third party white cables?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I bet they canned the convertible ones for durability: I have a convertible USB cord and it's neat, but seems like it would break in time. Charging is something you do hundreds of times a year; lots of wear and tear.

All the third party certified lightning cables I have noticed come in black. Does Apple have a prohibition against third party white cables?

No, there are white 30-pin accessories, and they too need Apple's approval if they want to show Apple's MFi logo. Maybe black cords are just cheaper/easier to source. I'd prefer black in a car: less showy if a thief is glancing in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.