Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Whats up guys well what i want to get figured out is how to exchange the Sprint prl with a Verizon prl(LTE if possible)on the Iphone 5.I know this was possible with the 4s cause Ive done it,So im asking you for help and im sure some of you guys are trying to figure it out as well so please help and lets try to figure this out thanks guys!I've been trying to figure it out as well and failed but for those of you that dont know to do this with the 4s this what you had to do on the 4s.:D

1. Jailbreak the iphone

2. download iFile from Cydia ($4 or google how to get it through other means), also turn data roaming ON

3. download the 00001.prl from this link http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/add46/00001.prl (this is from a post over on xda by techknow)

4. rename the PRL file "carrier.prl"

5. ok this is one of the important parts, you need to put the carrier.prl in System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Sprint_US.bundle and overwrite the existing carrier.prl in the folder, you can do this either by using open ssh or use ifile,in ifile you may copy and paste from dropbox or connect to your computer via wifi. I also would recommend putting the prl in the OTA sprint folder too, some people have been having problems and this may help.

6. in the folder that you copied the prl there is a file called carrier.plst, click it then in the menu that comes up click property list viewer, then scroll down till you see "PrlPushFlag" change to yes, click back at the top and go to the OTA folder if you put the PRL in there, then repeat the PrlPushFlag flag instructions, press back again to go up a folder and fully turn off your phone(so that you slide to power off) simply turning off your screen or a respring will not work.

7. turn your phone back on, you should see "searching" at the top, it should go to "no service", after you see "no service" go back to the carrier.plst and change the PrlPushFlag flag back to "no" and click back again

8. turn your phone off and back on again.

9. you should be roaming on verizon, it will say sprint at the top but you can confirm you are roaming by dialing *2 and you should get "welcome to verizon" also if you go to about and click on carrier info you should see your prl as 1.

10. you can revert back to the standard prl and not roaming by dialing ##UPDATE#

tok

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
On my iPhone 4S, this never worked unless TetherMe was installed as well for some reason. Did you have TetherMe installed on the 4S, but not on the 5?

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
On the 4s i did yes but since tethering is available on the 5 is that the same thing or no?

understando

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I dont understand this. Does sprint not have an ability to see you are doing this?

I remember when signing up for service they talked about if I was to be on "extended" for a certain amount... (i think it was something like 250mb, but I could be completely wrong). I would be billed and if it continued my account could be suspended?

Won't this just start that process up?

... Now if we are just jumping on Verizon's network... Well, that sounds interesting.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
I dont understand this. Does sprint not have an ability to see you are doing this?

I remember when signing up for service they talked about if I was to be on "extended" for a certain amount... (i think it was something like 250mb, but I could be completely wrong). I would be billed and if it continued my account could be suspended?

Won't this just start that process up?

... Now if we are just jumping on Verizon's network... Well, that sounds interesting.

yes ive done it on my 4s and im gone over 500mb in a month and they havent canceled my contract,but when they asked me about it i told them how can i go over 300mb when im on 1x i get no 3G or LTE where im at.Im pretty sure they dont want to lose any customers:)

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
this is interesting.. since the update of 6.1 i am no longer roaming at all.. I just want to be able to roam verizon like i did on 6.0 when there is no service in the school building.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
this is interesting.. since the update of 6.1 i am no longer roaming at all.. I just want to be able to roam verizon like i did on 6.0 when there is no service in the school building.

yea me to there has to be a way ive been trying to do it but keep failing:mad:hopefully this tutorial will be posted soon!

ZeWarrior

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I have a feeling he won't be posting anything and was probably lying. His only 2 posts were on this thread.

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Yea he ain't posting anybody else try to figure out how to do this? Can't find no info on it.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Just wondering, what does modifying the prl do? :eek: I'm assuming that it allows roaming on another network?

Amaro2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Just wondering, what does modifying the prl do? :eek: I'm assuming that it allows roaming on another network?

Yes it does which would be nice to do with the Iphone 5 and especially roam off that LTE i just cant find a way.:mad:

rd261

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I'm able to change prl and roam on Verizon. Lte roaming does not and will not work since sprint and Verizon do not have an agreement to allow lte roaming. Now here's the deal, Before getting it to work I tried a couple of times with a Verizon .000001 I had saved in my computer and it just wouldn't work. The only way I could get it to work was by watching a video that was posted in the iphone-developers forum and downloading the prl from the link in the video. The steps to load the prl are the same as before, the only difference is that in the iPhone 5 the folder where you overwrite the prl is now called sprint_lte_us.bundle. Just make sure your data roaming is on and that you have tetherme installed. The link to the video with the file is
http://forum.iphone-developers.com/...ailbreak-required-helps-data-speed-issue.html

Btw I'm not sure if this happens to anybody else but while roaming I'm not able to send SMS. iMessage works beautifully but regular texts do not. The same used to happen when I had the 4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.