Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I disable in app purchases on my iOS devices.

It's to avoid temptation EA and the rest of the industry want you to spend more money.

I don't have issue spending $50 for Garmin app. I don't have issue paying $30 for good iOS games. I do have issues not knowing my fix costs.

Sadly the public doesn't.

I am surprised Apple doesn't disable in app purchases on iOS devices as default. Someone will think twice about spending if the in app is blocked by default.

Guess Apple doesn't want to block in app purchases by default cause they get a 30% cut themselves.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Isn't it the first game really optimized for the iPad 4 graphics? With no new Infinity Blade to come....

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I have been loving RR2 and would have purchased RR3 immediately. Buy not under this arrangement.

As long as the RR2 servers are still up I imagine there will be lots of activity.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I shy away from games with in-app purchases.
Because I'm never sure what I'm getting into.

Is the game fun to play without IAP? Hard to tell.
If not, how much do I have to spend to make it fun? Hard to tell.

I don't mind ones where IAP unlock something I can wrap my head around (e.g, 20 additional levels), but virtual gold coins? Shorter cool downs? Whatever.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I was actually looking forward to this game - I have all the other real racing games on iPad/iPhone/iMac .... BUT this freemium stuff turns me off. Adding wait times after upgrading? Longer wait times the more the games progresses .... sorry, I am not willing to keep paying to play. I am willing to pay $10 (or more for a real good game) to get the game and play it - but I am not willing to feed the game constantly on every single device with money. ... guess I will not get the game than.

Too bad they will still make tons of money from people willing to feed actually dollars constantly to play.
I was planning on getting the new game at release, but now I won't get it unless there's a paid version without all the mandatory IAP.

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I hate this freemium model. Well, I guess I'll try the game for the sake of trying it and I'll ditch it like the rest of freemium games.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
I am REALLY hating everything EA puts out into the App Store. They seem to always make apps free and have ridiculous charges for things that make the game go at a speed it should normally go. They ruined the Sims, and multiple other games for me..and it seems the games you DO pay for include advertisements. I personally do not buy anything from the App Store with EA's name on it.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
What really pisses me about this is that pirating is not really an issue on iOS. There is no other reason for IAP other than to rip off the consumer.

dsddfloppy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
i thought pay-per-win model was bad enough, this is essentially the same pay-per-play model similar to that csr racing, which i promptly deleted after 5 min of installation.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's CSR Racing but in a circle. You have to wait for upgrades etc or pay real money for gold coins to speed them up.

It doesn't seem to support multi-display mode, at least via AirPlay like RR 2 did. Just standard mirroring.

Not sure about the physics either, there's no way I drove THAT well...

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
It's incredible what happens with my favorite iOS gaming site touchArcade where I am (and probably was) a regular visitor and writer in the forums.

Never seen before: They censored HEAVILY during the night the main thread…

Real Racing 3 by EA (Universal) [Worldwide on the 28th of February]

…and opened a new thread buried in a sub forum…

Real Racing 3 Rants, Conspiracy Theories, and Other Weird Complaints

Read this: No criticism about RR3 is allowed in the main thread! I am afraid it's time for Dr. Arnold Kim to communicate sharply with brain-washed Eli Hodapp (obviously chief editor of touchArcade). BTW there was NEVER a front page article on the best iOS arcade racer 'Asphalt 7' by Gameloft (their flagship software).

Electronic Arts is ruining a promising franchise, maybe iOS gaming altogether and the tA forums.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
There is no such thing as a freemium ride...

Just let me buy the damn thing already. I bought Real Racing 2 and love it. I would have bought (and probably loved) this one too.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Unbelievable - 6 months late.

Wasn't this announced to release last year??

They debuted it at the iPad gen 4 keynote and made it seem as to expect it's release back when the gen 4 was released.

WHAT could be taking them so long??!! :confused:

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
This is horrible, makes it sound like arcade games of yesterday where you need a coin to play every other level :( wont be giving them a dime.. I was ready to pay a normal price for the game but I guess they don't like money

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
$10 won't get you very far in this game. Try $200 +

I wish they told you how much it costs to unlock EVERYTHING in the game. Apple should force developers to state that up front.

I know they sorta itemize the IAP's but I want to know exactly what the total cost of the game is.

Reminds me of Battlefield 3. I paid $50 for Kirkland in advance, but have to pay another $50 later for the other expansions and access to Premium servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.