Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
I had the iPad 3 launch day, loved it. When the mini was released sold the iPad 3 and got the mini. I disliked the mini screen so return it and said **** that, I'll wait for the next gen of iPads.

Now.... I just really miss having the iPad. Is it a bit stupid if I go buy one today? or should I just really wait until next gen?

I'm just so undecided that I need some opinions.

I'm just really thinking of getting the iPad 4 and take good care of it and sell it right away when the new one is released and just purchase the new iPad.

Thanks!

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
I'm having the same problem just sold my iPad 2 and I don't know if I should get the 3 or 4. I want to get the 4 but supposedly the 5 is coming out soon and I don't know which one to get 3 or 4 and what happens to resale value. I'm so confused

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I would wait until the next gen. You can hold off for a while. I'm hoping the next mini has a retina display. I do like the larger screen of the iPad 9.7" but I don't
like the added weight.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Depends if you need it now. If so, go for it!

Even if you wait and the next mini doesn't have retina, it is highly likely that the 9.7" iPad will have a new form-factor!

If I was in your position, I would buy one now. Life is too short to keep waiting, especially for technology. The current iPad will do everything the next gen of iPads can...

----------

And if you decide to upgrade when they do come (maybe October???), go for it!

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Depends if you need it now. If so, go for it!

Even if you wait and the next mini doesn't have retina, it is highly likely that the 9.7" iPad will have a new form-factor!

If I was in your position, I would buy one now. Life is too short to keep waiting, especially for technology. The current iPad will do everything the next gen of iPads can...

----------

And if you decide to upgrade when they do come (maybe October???), go for it!

You just convinced me to go for it :D I'm 98% sure I will head to apple today after work to grab a black iPad 4.

Zav

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
I'm glad you went for it. The iPad 4 is an amazing product, the next gen iPad won't be such a big improvement that you will look back and regret getting it. Just as the iPad 4 wasn't to the iPad 3. It will still be as capable as the next gen iPad just as the iPad 2 and iPad 3 are now :)

roytherock123

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Follow my opinion, You should wait. Why ? You know. Design of ipad 5 is completely different from previous ipads. And perhaps a next gen of ipad ( ipad 6,7) will have the design of ipad 5. So, it maybe unfashionable when you use ipad. But it's up to you :)
Have fun :)

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
You just convinced me to go for it :D I'm 98% sure I will head to apple today after work to grab a black iPad 4.

I think your mind was already set... You just needed a little encouragement ;)

Enjoy your new iPad!

----------

Follow my opinion, You should wait. Why ? You know. Design of ipad 5 is completely different from previous ipads. And perhaps a next gen of ipad ( ipad 6,7) will have the design of ipad 5. So, it maybe unfashionable when you use ipad. But it's up to you :)
Have fun :)

But surely if someone keeps waiting, it means they don't really 'need' the iPad anyway... But I understand what you mean., there's always something better around the corner.

Last edited:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Its a very bad idea waiting for new a ipad model.

I believe that's called......suffering?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Not to be too cynical here, but OP, do you really think you'll be satisfied with the iPad 4 if you buy now then in 3, 6 or 9 months from now the iPad 5 comes out? Judging by your habits (bought iPad 3, sold, bought iPad Mini, returned, now want iPad 4) you'll probably want the 5 when it comes out.

Sure you'll enjoy the 4 from now until the 5 is released, but are you really going to have THAT much better time than if you just bought an iPad 3 (to have retina as the Mini turned you off so much)? You could probably save yourself some bills just getting an iPad 3 instead. Enjoy "having an iPad" in the meantime and then upgrade to the 5 in a couple months.

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2012
The mini is great why didn you like the screen exactly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

S

syd430

Discounted new ipad 4 is your answer. Get 15% by either getting a price match, education store discount or by other means. Resale loss would be minimal or non-existent when the ipad 5 is released.

roytherock123

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Its a very bad idea waiting for new a ipad model.

I believe that's called......suffering?

I need Ipad. Not really "need". I mean I'd love it. Ipad is my dream. Every night I dream about it. Now I can buy but I want to wait. Maybe I call it.... "faculty of reason"

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just keep it in good condition in case you want to upgrade. I don't think you'll take a beating selling it down the road to tell the truth.

Enjoy!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I'm having the same problem just sold my iPad 2 and I don't know if I should get the 3 or 4. I want to get the 4 but supposedly the 5 is coming out soon and I don't know which one to get 3 or 4 and what happens to resale value. I'm so confused

If you need one right now then get the one that best fits your needs. If you can wait, then wait.

Trying to time the market so you always have the latest and greatest will paralyze you.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If i were you, i might just go back to buy another Ipad 2.

I dont care about retina, the screen is big. My phone has retina, thanks god the screen 3.5 is getting too small. I dont think retina on Ipad is a big deal unless you are a gaming freak. The screen is 9.7"!!!

As for mini, i agree. But im not neutral, i hated it before it even come out. I used to have 7 inch tablet. Its too small, i dont know what it is. Its a tweener.

The phone, on the other hand, should pack bigger battery and little bigger screen. Ipad 2 is the best at its price now compare to 3 or 4.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
You made the right choice. The iPad 5 isn't due out until September/October and 8 months is almost an entire life cycle.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I had the iPad 3 launch day, loved it. When the mini was released sold the iPad 3 and got the mini. I disliked the mini screen so return it and said **** that, I'll wait for the next gen of iPads.

Now.... I just really miss having the iPad. Is it a bit stupid if I go buy one today? or should I just really wait until next gen?

I'm just so undecided that I need some opinions.

I'm just really thinking of getting the iPad 4 and take good care of it and sell it right away when the new one is released and just purchase the new iPad.

Thanks!
I did the same thing this evening. After 2 months I couldn't take the iPad mini screen any longer. I also realized something else, the wireless on my mini must have been faulty because the bar was continually moving up and down and this new 4 is rock solid. I should have never bought into the hype. Good riddance to the red-headed stepchild.

Last edited:

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
I did the same thing this evening. After 2 months I couldn't take the iPad mini screen any longer. I also realized something else, the wireless on my mini must have been faulty because the bar was continually moving up and down and this new 4 is rock solid. I should have never bought into the hype. Good riddance to the red-headed stepchild.

I got the iPad 4 as well I was thinking to sell the 4 as soon as 5 comes out but if the upgrade is really not that much of an improent I mady just hold onto the 4

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Congrats, your iPad will look prehistoric soon so keep it in tip top condition for the resale.
And what's your Mini gonna be worth IF and when Apple decides to replace it with Retina? Check eBay prices on iPad 1st gen and that'll give you some idea. Until then, keep practicing on that "pinch to zoom" feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.