Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if it isn't would the mods move it to th e right sub-forum?

So, I have a 256GB SSD in my Retina Macbook 15", My OS X partition was 120GB, my Backup partition was 99GB and my Win8 partition was ~30GB. I erased my Win8 partition, (while installing Win8 I clicked the extend button during the disk select wizard, and the win8 partition magically became 120GB but my backup partition was fine, then I rebooted my macbook into OSX and my backup partition was gone (but while it was there, the music would play in iTunes, so the data had to be intact)) then I erased my win8 partition because of the extend issue, and my partitions came back to normal, then I tried creating a new partition to take up the ~30GB left over from the Win8 partition, I labeled this Backup 2, Disk utility ERASED my Backup partition, and replaced it with Backup 2 that was the size of my backup AND backup 2 partitions combined.

WTF. what should I do? The data should still be there, but most partition recovery apps can't find it, or if they do there's only an ~8MB journal file there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.