Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I really think/hope something like this is coming. Bluetooth, Siri, Heart-rate, all the bells and whistles.

I'd like to see a future wear my Data/Cell Signal as well as my security authentication and the such are all linked to my watch. This way, without my watch, my devices are useless.

Hell, in a cloud based future, a Device could be factory settings unless you authenticate. hand it to a friend, and they load their profile.

skidog1111

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
USA
I'm curious as to if there is even a market for this. I know many people who don't even wear a watch anymore because they rely on their phone. I can't recall the last time I asked someone for the time and they looked at their watch instead of their phone.

Why didn't you look at your phone?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just don't see how this helps Apple in any way. All it does is move some iPhone functionality to your wrist. How many people are going to voluntarily wear a shackle?

A shackle? I love the spin.

I already wear a watch and keep a phone in my pocket. This reduces the devices I wear from 2 to 1.

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Make them waterproof, shockproof and able to charge through vibration, and I'm sure the US Military would buy like 1.5 million of them.

You people have an embarrassing lack of vision.

There are so many reasons why this could be brilliant:

- Wearable fitness
- Connectivity
- Fashion
- Health benefits
- Security
- Social networking

...to name but a few.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I don't care how much function an iWatch (creepy name) brings. People wouldn't wear the thing unless the watch was also a piece of jewelry. On that note, I think the best answer would be for Apple to design the watch to be extremely thin/small and designed to clip into a case/watchband. This would facilitate the creation of a case/watchband industry providing hundreds of awesome and stylish ways to wear the watch. Every watch wearer from Rolex to Timex would be able to proudly wear the device.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
I'm trying to reserve judgment until they release this (if they really do), but... I just can't see the purpose. My iPhone is plenty portable and its clock works just fine. Also, fewer and fewer people are wearing watches in the first place, at least as far as I've seen. They'd have to really wow me for me to even consider buying this, and I have tons of Apple stuff. Maybe it's meant as a device to introduce you to Apple products, like iPods are these days?

Then again, no one could see the purpose of an iPad at first, and those turned out pretty popular. :p

Maybe it creates a magnetic field around the user that Apple refers to as the "reality distortion field." :D

STLCardsfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Texas
I'd be interested

Just bought a Nike+ fuelband and have been noticing it's shortcomings. Apple could own this future market, just like they do with tablets.

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Most people on these forums and in general blatantly just don't understand what Apple could offer with a product like this.

Don't look at it as just a typical old boring watch.. One where you can just tell time with a few other small irrelevant 'features'.

This will pretty much be a re-invention of the wrist watch, Think iPhone pre-iPhone days. Consumers had never seen such a device with such innovative features. Now, who knows what Apple can really implement in a device like this, but you all need to take a step backwards and look at the opportunity and innovation stand point.

With the exception of Pebble, very few tech giants are pursuing this market. Apple could very easily lead the market and get back to their innovating ways with a product like iWatch.

Look at the Apple 'ecosystem'. Almost all their products work together and are all associated with eachother. An iWatch wouldn't just be a product choice when watch shopping. It will be an essential, innovative, necessity that will work seamlessly with their other products, think iPhone or iPad and iCloud. Apple isn't stupid and they know that there are too many high end watch manufacturers, so expect the iWatch to be something completely different, something that any Apple consumer can purchase to make their digital life easier and seamless.

Last edited:

Adam22

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
The ipad nano with the clip was the pre-iwatch. I guess that's why they changed it (nano ipod design)since a lot of ppl were rocking them as watches ,they really want to expand on that idea.

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Must be nice to have a job where you don't actually work. Any job where you do actual work doesn't allow cellphone use on the job, if you're even allowed to have it on your person.

There are TONS of people who are self employed or run their own businesses. Some businesses even rely on mobile phones to communicate with their employees when they are deployed outside of office. Hell even in the army I had my iphone with me all the time!

So when you actually think about it the number of jobs forbidding the use of personal phones is quite limited. I've heard such cases with people working in labs, R&D, the automotive industry or the MAFIA. :rolleyes:

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Most people on these forums and in general blatantly just don't understand what Apple could offer with a product like this.

Wow I reaally get it.
Then Apple could launch an iRing which was like a remote control for the iWatch?
image_thumb%5B1%5D

Last edited:

chumpy34

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I'm beginning to be very excited for this product.

Same here. Not sure why so many negative comments? This to me is as exciting as the first iPhone, iPad and more exciting by far than a true Apple TV. The possibilities are endless on the iWatch and as the article says, it would be even more intimate than a phone or tablet as you can wear it. And I am someone who has never worn a watch in my lifetime, I would with this.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm getting sick of these watch stories that are not based on any inside knowledge (or rumored inside knowledge) and especially the computer renderings based on no concrete information at all. Reminds me a bit of all the teardrop shaped iPhone renderings we saw only to end up with the iPhone 4S, same design as the iPhone 4. I'm sorry but I don't consider this stuff rumor worthy. To me a rumor would be a leaked part or one like we got from Business Week where they had some real information. Worst thing is all these computer renderings find their way all over the Internet and end up becoming what people think an Apple watch will look like. Grr...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Don't look at it as just a typical old boring watch.. One where you can just tell time with a few other small irrelevant 'features'.

This will pretty much be a re-invention of the wrist watch, Think iPhone pre-iPhone days. Consumers had never seen such a device with such innovative features. Now, who knows what Apple can really implement in a device like this, but you all need to take a step backwards and look at the opportunity and innovation stand point.

With the exception of Pebble, very few tech giants are pursuing this market. Apple could very easily lead the market and get back to their innovating ways with a product like iWatch.

Look at the Apple 'ecosystem'. Almost all their products work together and are all associated with eachother. An iWatch wouldn't just be a product choice when watch shopping. It will be an essential, innovative, necessity that will work seamlessly with their other products, think iPhone or iPad and iCloud. Apple isn't stupid and they know that there are too many high end watch manufacturers, so expect the iWatch to be something completely different, something that any Apple consumer will need to make life easier.

i thought watches are only a fashion or status statement/symbols nowadays anyway. even at work people take u more serious if u wear a hublot watch and its easier to get by the door guy at the club. seems shallow but its the sad truth

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
These mockups are starting to wet my appetite. When do you think we MAY be able to expect a release of something like this? Late 2014? Or could they be more developed than we realise?

However, there is evidence that people are wearing watches less and less now as 90% of the population have a smartphone in their pocket 24/7. I've never regularly worn a watch in my life really but as I recently landed myself a job and won't be able to keep my phone on me, I need to start looking to getting a watch. I'm not sure if my employer would allowed a "smart" watch though, cause it'd probably bring the same reasons as to why you're not allowed a phone in your pocket at work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.