Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I knew it was only a matter of time before it happened but someone has turned a Surface into a Hackintosh. The Wi-Fi drivers in this build don't seem to be working so they're using a USB Ethernet Dongle.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Who'd go for a touchscreen tablet running OS X with these specs?

No thank you. IMO Windows 8 has shown why touch driven and mouse driven interfaces should never be combined. All the conventional desktop applications that people wanted still really need a mouse and keyboard.

I would much rather see Apple bring improvements for professional users to iOS. It has the potential... it was built on the same structural foundation as OS X.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That was my first thought when I heard about the surface pro, iPad done correctly Hack surface pro.

iPad done correctly? Thanks for giving me my laugh for the day. My guess is you wouldn't be using this "hackintosh" as a tablet much if at all. So then what's the point. Buy a laptop instead.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
iPad done correctly? Thanks for giving me my laugh for the day. My guess is you wouldn't be using this "hackintosh" as a tablet much if at all. So then what's the point. Buy a laptop instead.

There are many people in the world still wanting a touch-screen Mac. Not everybody has your/Apple's needs or opinions. Unfortunately, Steve damned touch-screen Macs to hell claiming that peoples arms drop off if they use a vertical touch-screen.

Guess he never thought of having an adjustable screen like what was on the iMac G4, but whatever. Windows 8 now caters for that market.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
That was my first thought when I heard about the surface pro, iPad done correctly Hack surface pro.

Indeed. When I first heard of the "iPad" I thought it'd be more of a "Macbook Touch". Just take a Macbook Pro and put the display where the keyboard and trackpad are and keep everything else the same. You'd have USB, FW, Thunderbolt/Display out, Audio in/out and in it's initial release maybe even a superdrive. Plus full desktop/laptop Mac OSX. That would have been awesome!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There are many people in the world still wanting a touch-screen Mac. Not everybody has your/Apple's needs or opinions. Unfortunately, Steve damned touch-screen Macs to hell claiming that peoples arms drop off if they use a vertical touch-screen.

Guess he never thought of having an adjustable screen like what was on the iMac G4, but whatever. Windows 8 now caters for that market.

My guess is the number of people wanting this is small. Niche market. Of course not everybody has my needs. But they don't have yours either. :)

----------

Indeed. When I first heard of the "iPad" I thought it'd be more of a "Macbook Touch". Just take a Macbook Pro and put the display where the keyboard and trackpad are and keep everything else the same. You'd have USB, FW, Thunderbolt/Display out, Audio in/out and in it's initial release maybe even a superdrive. Plus full desktop/laptop Mac OSX. That would have been awesome!!

Why not just use multi touch gestures on the trackpad?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Why not just use multi touch gestures on the trackpad?

I do use those but it's not the same. Having a full fledge "Macbook Touch" would have been so much nicer then and "iPad. I like seeing the finder and where all my files are. Or having a blank desktop with no icons on it (what's the point of putting a background pic it's it's hidden behind app icons??). Or having a 500GB (or bigger) Hard drive as opposed to a measly 64GB. I don't care for the cloud based nonsense.

Plus the iPad seems far more restrictive in what you can do unless you "jailbreak" it. On iPad (or iPhone) you can only download content from Apple's various "stores" whereas with the Mac I can still do pretty much what I want with it. I'll be honest the iPad is cool in many ways but until they can stick 500GB or even 1TB or storage into it I don't think I'll be buying one unless iPad and iCloud services are essentially forced on people.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Already done...

Is awesome, but pricey. http://www.modbook.com

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My guess is the number of people wanting this is small. Niche market. Of course not everybody has my needs. But they don't have yours either. :)

Oh yeah totally, practically nobody will do this. Since the Surface Pro comes with Windows 8 anyway, there is not much point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.