Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tthip

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Mine drops 10% per hour.
Sometimes I get just 6 to 8 hours of usage.
That is just web surfing and games and maybe some youtube videos.
Battery always seemed to suck on mine.
I tried restoring - no better.
I unfortunately had to upgrade to iTunes 11 so I could finally/unwillingly update to ios6 to try and solve it and that did nothing.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Two things:
1. Turn off bluetooth if you aren't using it - huge battery drain
2. If you don't need the screen on full brightness...turn it down. I tend to keep it at half bright and I typically go 6-7 days in-between charging. That is with an average of 3-4 hours of use per day.

robershow

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
When it launched the battery life was about 9.5 hrs to 10 hrs. With iOS 6 it went to about 14 hrs. How that I'm in iOS 6.1 the battery life is about 17 hrs. A couple weeks ago I was checking I was using about 5% per hr, which would mean about 20hrs battery life; but then I started playing angry birds and it lasted like 12-13hrs. So I would said if you're using the browser or any RSS readers, listening occasionally to music and watching the occasional web-video you could get about 15+ hrs. If you start playing games maybe 8-12hrs.

Pretty amazing. They advertise the iPad for 10 hrs but with updates I'm getting 1/2 battery life more, which they don't actually advertise as is.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Under heavy use I get 12-13 hours. Under light daily use I can get 15-17 hours and days upon days of standby. Very impressed with iPad 3 battery life!

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Ipad 3 battery life is pretty amazing. I can usually get over 10 hours of average use without playing movies.

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Video and games, heavy use about 8-10 hours.

Browsing, mail, iBooks, I'm now getting 14-16 hours and still have 20% or so remaining.

Usually have BT off, and screen brightness a bit lower than default.

It does seem like batt life has gotten even longer with updates.

cloneofsnake

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Mine has a strange problem. When I'm using Wifi hotspots like at co-working spaces and starbucks, the battery gets drained like crazy even if I'm not using it and have the lid closed!

2 ~ 3 hours, 50% gone!

Anyone else has this problem?

Nighttracker

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Video and games, heavy use about 8-10 hours.

Browsing, mail, iBooks, I'm now getting 14-16 hours and still have 20% or so remaining.

Usually have BT off, and screen brightness a bit lower than default.

It does seem like batt life has gotten even longer with updates.

x2
I noticed the same with my iPad 3. Battery life seems longer now than it did 7 months ago when I first made the purchase.

Byeen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Guys I know this may look pretty weird, but it's real..
I was charging my iPad last week, I've used it generally for browsing, tumblr, facebook, mail, one episode of The Killing via Oplayer... And the usage and standby is pretty amazing, I've never seen such a numbers yet... I usually have 10 hrs of usage, so this is some special case, but I'm pretty happy about it :)

uvapeped.jpg

boxxy

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Just adding to the 10-12 hrs at times. Brightness kills the battery, leaving it 2/3's of the way and I get probably 3-4 more hours than leaving it at full brightness. I use it for my Apple TV and pretty much got through a marathon first season of game of thrones without having to recharge.

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Sitting at 73% right now, with 4 hours 59 minutes of usage. Mostly web surfing, some YouTube, and some Facebook.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Mine has never died, and on 5.1.1, I use it for a couple hours every day, and now, after almost 2 hours, it is at 88% although I did not charge last night so I'm not completely sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.