Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Yes, because clearly the Oscar would have been won squarely on the quality of the iPhone's camera.

Not what I said but, that's what everyone would probably think which is why I made my original comment.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Sugarman is great doc, people need to check it out!

I shoot or used to a ton of super8 but I've been doing the same thing with this App and it's $2 as opposed to $100 for 3 minutes at 24fps of super (7280 film cartridge+process/deveolpment+telecine to dvcam or prores) sure it doesn't look as beautiful as the film but for a few seconds here and there it's fine.

Californication season 6 (current) uses this app in every episode for their super8, except the intro.

Love film, going to miss it but it has had its day.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I think it shows more talent if you can have iPhone shots (Without making it look out of place to terrible) - So I think it's pretty cool :)

HolyHackZack

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
The film is heavily favored to win Best Documentary, I would say he did exactly what he 'should have' done.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
While the story is cool, unless his Oscar relates to the quality of the filming itsn't it a bit pointless to mention it is Oscar nominated? I mean, if the film wins for best screenplay or best supporting actor, it doesn't really matter on what device the film was shot on...does it?

Still a really cool story, wonder if he used FCPX to edit it ;)

Oscar nominated film despite being filmed partially on an iPhone. It's important.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Oscar nominated film despite being filmed partially on an iPhone. It's important.

I know, and it was that word "despite" that initially made me think he was nominated for a cinematography category; which if so, is a huge deal. But if the film was nominated for best supporting actress, then using the iPhone, while still very impressive is not the same.

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
8mm is a really great app. I've been using it for several years now and it is a lot of fun. One of the first apps I bought when I first got my phone. If you grew up watching 8mm family movies like I did it is a must have. And the developers are really good at updating and adding more filters and film types.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This cannot be serious...with an iPhone app? Lol he couldn't buy a point and shoot that's a million times better than any cellphone camera?

Come on now...this is just...wow bad...

How come you could not be bothered to read the article? That is just...wow bad...

Also please share with us your academy award nominated fiilms.

----------

"I realized that there was this $1 app here on my iPhone and I tried it and it was basically the same as the real stuff."

really..... a tiny, 8mp sensor is basically the same as 8mm film...

More amazing than this guy using the iphone to finish the movie, is that he also seems to be blind..
:cool:

Yet he has one Oscar nomination to your zero.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Producers don't like hearing that their directors "ran out of money."

This was in indie docu so he probably was also the producer

----------

The overall effect might work well in the movie and could explain the shaky cam/bad lighting we from many other filmmakers who serve it up without commentary.

No joke. I see such things used so much as an artistic choice and it drives me crazy.

And yet when a choice to 'down grade' would make sense they don't do it. Like a little grain in The Hobbit to make it fit in with the other films. And then there was the issue of the fast forward look of most of the panning shots. I find it hard to believe there was no way to slow those down to a more normal speed. My only hope is that it might be corrected for the home video releases or at least the other two films.

And maybe, for similar screaming by movie goers, the jerky cut, shakes cam crap will be ended.

----------

I know, and it was that word "despite" that initially made me think he was nominated for a cinematography category; which if so, is a huge deal.

The category is about how the film looks based on the knowledge and skill of the DP and how that look fits the needs of the story being told

Not the flashiness of the tech being used. So no, that he used an iPhone matters little if it works.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Pretty cool. Hopefully he didn't need any low-light shots, though.

iPhone camera actually performs better than 8mm film for low light.

Remember, 8mm film frame is very tiny. If you use film with an ISO high enough for low light shots, the grain becomes unbearable.

Technology has gone a long way.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
iPhone camera actually performs better than 8mm film for low light.

Remember, 8mm film frame is very tiny. If you use film with an ISO high enough for low light shots, the grain becomes unbearable.

Technology has gone a long way.

I guess that I first made this comment being uninformed. Before looking it up, I assumed that it was shot A, digitally, and B, with an expensive camera like a RED Epic or Sony EX-1. Sorry about that. Believe it or not, I actually have used (and had to pay for) 8mm film in a college class and I know that you have to have plenty of light.

I do find it interesting that he shot it with the 8mm app instead of shooting clean video and making it look like 8mm film in post...I guess that would just be another expense, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.