Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Is there a stylus for writing which lasts for a reasonable amount of time. I've heard of many where the rubber tip falls off or wears away after less than a month of use and scratches the screen.

Is the Targus or Boxwave evertouch any good?

Last edited:

beauparc

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2011
Anglesey
I've been using my Boxwave every day since I got my original iPad and have had no trouble at all. Also gets used on my Android devices.

As with most other things, you get what you pay for.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I've been using my Boxwave every day since I got my original iPad and have had no trouble at all. Also gets used on my Android devices.

As with most other things, you get what you pay for.
Cool, is it good for writing/notes etc

Jachrist

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I use a bamboo stylus from Wacom. 2 months so far and I use it for notes daily. Also, you can buy replacement tips for $6/3 tips.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
My favorite is the iFaraday. It has a sort cloth like tip. It has the least amount of friction of any stylus out there. They have different models depending on whether you do more note taking or drawing. IFaraday.com

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Used the targus $10 one with rubber tip since iPad 1 and still works flawlessly. Did not like the length so got the ultralife from targus yesterday with the rubber tip - far better in response and touch.

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Is there a stylus for writing which lasts for a reasonable amount of time. I've heard of many where the rubber tip falls off or wears away after less than a month of use and scratches the screen.

Is the Targus or Boxwave evertouch any good?

Just got the box wave myself. I enjoy it. Almost got a bamboo one but couldn't justify spending 20 bucks

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
And do all styluses require you to push fairly hard? As in its not as sensitive when using a stylus?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I like the Boxwave and the Wacom ones.

I've tried those new metal wire mesh ones, and they work well, but here's the thing:

The say they are totally safe. Now, i'm inclined not to believe this. Common sense tells me there 'may' be a risk of microscopic scratches. It's metal on glass apparently, and you can feel the abrasion. if it was metal with a coating, it could wear down and 'then' cause scratches.

Anyway, the rubber ones work great, and I actually like the drag they give, something the mesh ones don't have.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I like the Boxwave and the Wacom ones.

I've tried those new metal wire mesh ones, and they work well, but here's the thing:

The say they are totally safe. Now, i'm inclined not to believe this. Common sense tells me there 'may' be a risk of microscopic scratches. It's metal on glass apparently, and you can feel the abrasion. if it was metal with a coating, it could wear down and 'then' cause scratches.

Anyway, the rubber ones work great, and I actually like the drag they give, something the mesh ones don't have.

I doubt they'd use metal, I'm sure that would scratch it. I found out fibre mesh is micropropylene which isn't metal.

----------

The targus $10 one required me to push hard. The ultralife or w.e it's called does not.

Are they as sensitive as finger use.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
The targus $10 one required me to push hard. The ultralife or w.e it's called does not.

The Wacom Bamboo $30 one required me to push hard. The Targus does not. :D

The point is: quality control is a factor. That Bamboo one was definitely defective. But, I tried another in the store, and while better, wasn't quite good enough to buy.

I don't think there's a stylus that can match a finger for screen sensitivity.

Re: metal mesh? I've never seen/heard of the mesh ones using metal. There are non-mesh metal ones like the GoSmart(?), but those have a teflon coating. ANY stylus can trap a piece of screen-scratching silica, which I believe is the main cause of stylus scratches.

Regards,
Tom

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
As far as mesh goes

I bought a nice Boxwave mesh. I already own a rubber one, and it's very nice, so I bought a mesh one going by reviews.

The thing is, if you rub your finger on the tip and it's rough. VERY rough. Now, I don't know what this is. I was under the impression it was some kind of metal. My immediate thought was "Oh no", but then all these people are saying it's safe. Whatever.

But I can't help thinking that even if the tip itself doesn't scratch (microscopically), the uneven tip will catch debris; again, common sense?

As far a the Wacom goes. I hated it at first as I had to press down too much, as the dude above did. But for some reason I like it now. It's as good as the Boxwave, just a bit different. It's heavy, which is both a plus and minus I guess.

YMMV

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Common sense tells me there 'may' be a risk of microscopic scratches. It's metal on glass apparently, and you can feel the abrasion. if it was metal with a coating, it could wear down and 'then' cause scratches.
That's the problem with relying on "common sense". A material will only scratch glass if it is harder than glass. There's no way that your stylus tip is made of such a material.

But I can't help thinking that even if the tip itself doesn't scratch (microscopically), the uneven tip will catch debris
Certainly possible and that's how most glass screens get scratched. Did you miss the post just prior to yours that said the same thing?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Did you miss the post just prior to yours that said the same thing?

1) obviously, anything else but metal (harder than glass) will not be an issue, unless it's a debris trap.

And, I think I read your post. If your implying that you thought of it first, your barkin up the wrong apple tree me thinks :D

Of course your probably not, but after all, this forum is a piece of work, so who knows ;)

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
1) obviously, anything else but metal (harder than glass) will not be an issue, unless it's a debris trap.
Not meaning to be argumentative at all -- hopefully the information is found as useful:

As I understand, most metals are softer than glass, especially Gorilla glass, so metals should not be an issue either.

Regards,
Tom

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Not meaning to be argumentative at all -- hopefully the information is found as useful:

As I understand, most metals are softer than glass, especially Gorilla glass, so metals should not be an issue either.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks, I think you may be right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.