Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
As usual, I stopped reading at "analyst".

+1,000 iMikeT.

Isn't it nice to know that if you can't do anything else, you can always be a Wall Street analyst.

Personally, I hope Apple does do this as I would like to put my money into the top of the line full-size iPad and the top of the line iPad mini. I want my Smartphone to be compatible with my computer and tablet, but I don't need or want to do a lot with my phone. I'd rather use a tablet.

With that said, I don't see Apple bothering with a lower cost iPhone. They market themselves a making a premium product and charge a premium price for it. A lower cost phone goes against that.

I do willingly admit, however, that if Apple does release a lower cost phone in a smaller form factor to that of the iPhone 5, I will be on the pre-order list.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Why not put 4gb in it for iOS and then put in a SD card slot and let the consumer decide how much storage they want. Reducing to minimal amount of memory would save a ton of money.

bigubosu

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
next leap..

Instead of leading the way, Apple might follow the way. I don't like that trend. SAD.

Seems that way however I doubt there is much more you can do in these generation of phones. We need to go to the next stage whatever that is..

Something like Google Glasses looks promising but that's like an old nokia phone in comparison. Something like Google Glasses but in the form of a contact lense would be awesome.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
A low-cost iPhone might hurt high-end iPhone sales and hurt Apple's good image. I don't want to see Apple selling half-***ed products.
Do you consider the iPad mini half-***ed? One could argue that it's a low-cost iPad.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Why not put 4gb in it for iOS and then put in a SD card slot and let the consumer decide how much storage they want. Reducing to minimal amount of memory would save a ton of money.
Great idea. In addition, why not make a task manager so the user can decide which processes should be given priority?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

Nice idea. But then they wont be able to charge people £80 for 16GB of extra flash memory.
I think a low cost iPhone would be a good idea, that way apple will be able to regain the market share that it has lot to samsung. :gross:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
A lower-cost iPhone is inevitable.

The whole system of phone subsidies is getting old-fashioned. First of all, the system itself is skewed. For some reason, people have accepted that the monthly charged is high so that the price of the phone can be low. This is nothing more than a trick to get customers into signing up for a contract. The whole system is based on a trick! That's not sustainable.

It won't take too long before carriers and customers figure this out. In Europe, carriers already have, and it's no secret that iPhone popularity has been going down the drain in some European countries. If you can reduce your monthly fee by 50% at the cost of using a Galaxy S Mini (or whatever) instead of an iPhone 5, people will start thinking: do I really want an iPhone that much? Lots of people do, but I can assure you, lots of people don't.

Then there's the argument of the iPhone 4. People will say: Apple already has a cheap iPhone, it's called the iPhone 4. Partly true. But the iPhone 4 is old, and again: lots of people don't want old. They want cheap and they want new.

Second, Apple doesn't like fragmentation, and the iPhone 4 and 4S have different screen sizes than the iPhone 5. A redcution of fragmentation can be achieved by releasing a cheaper iPhone with 16:9 screen.

The whole 'last year's top model is the new budget model'-thing is ok, but it gives Apple less control over the market.

C

champ01

Maybe Apple should change their name to iProfit.

With all that cash Apple seems in worse shape ever.

NeuroArtist

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
Would this indicate the death of iPod Touch is coming as soon as cheaper iPhone starts to sell?

I think it is the opposite, with the iWatch, coming with multiple SIM card slots, people will use the iPod touch as hand sets, with a range of iPod handsets, from the iPod nano 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch iPod touch4, 4 inch iPod touch 5, 4.8 inch iPod touch 6, they'll revamp them, and you'll end up w much cooler form factor than the current iPhones, and you can use the iPads as conference call platforms. Think about it, it makes perfect sense. The iPhone will go!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Would this indicate the death of iPod Touch is coming as soon as cheaper iPhone starts to sell?

Now this is interesting, if the lower price iphone start at $300 -$350 it would compete with the ipod touch.

But, I think apple sees it as IOS devices. no matter device people buy it would count as IOS market share. like cook said, if we don't cannibalize, someone else will.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Apple made a 'low-cost' iPhone in the past: the Rokr. That was a DISASTER!

Apple currently makes 'low-cost' iPhone with the newest features: the iPod Touch.

Apple also currently sells a 'low-cost' iPhone with a smaller feature set: the iPhone 4S (which is reduced in price)

What am I missing here?

HavocLink

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
The problem isn't lowering the price of the phones. It's lowering the price of phone plans. When you have service providers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. sitting on an ever growing mountain of cash that they GOUGE from us every month, you have a problem.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The problem isn't lowering the price of the phones. It's lowering the price of phone plans. When you have service providers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. sitting on an ever growing mountain of cash that they GOUGE from us every month, you have a problem.

ROFLMAO! Yea, those carriers are gouging while poor Apple's cash pile is only $137 billion. Thank goodness Apple sells their products for a minimal profit to help out the poor consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.