Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Simply put, what plan do you need to be on to activate an iPad as a wi-fi hotspot?

My iPad is 4G/LTE with the month to month 5GB data plan. I have an option in Cellular Settings to activate a hotspot, but it also states that there may be additional charges if I do so. Does anyone know if that is the case?

One would think that this is easy information to uncover, but I've been looking all over the net for awhile now with no success. AT&T's site is useless for this.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
I tried it one day, having the iphone pick up the 'router' labeled Dan's iPad.

Worked smooth.

Didn't see any additional charges on the Verizon $30 plan.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I am pretty sure they are only referring to the fact that if you go over your allotment. There are no additional "Hotspot" charges, but you could chew threw data much faster through a tethered computer.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Difference between AT&T and Verizon is there are no additional charges on Verizon to use your iPad as a hotspot. Thats one of the reasons I got a Verizon one.

pac

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Difference between AT&T and Verizon is there are no additional charges on Verizon to use your iPad as a hotspot. Thats one of the reasons I got a Verizon one.

The newer AT&T Family Share Plans include mobile hotspot on all capable devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.