Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damojag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook Pro mid-2009, I need an i7. Right now Apple are offering the MacBook Pro 15" that I need but MacRumors tell me to wait as an update is imminent. Here are my thoughts:

1. I want to be able to upgrade RAM and HDD whenever I want.
2. The current MBRetina have fused RAM and SSD making upgrades impossible.

If I wait as MR want me to, is there a possibility of Apple following the soldering-to-mainboard trend or will they always offer a MBP that is upgradable by the end-user?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
1. I want to be able to upgrade RAM and HDD whenever I want.
Non retina has upgradeable ram and storage

2. The current MBRetina have fused RAM and SSD making upgrades impossible.
Agreed, the retina MBP is not as upgradable as the the classic version is but, the SSD can be upgraded

If I wait as MR want me to, is there a possibility of Apple following the soldering-to-mainboard trend or will they always offer a MBP that is upgradable by the end-user?
Conventional wisdom is to wait when you need the machine, but as you point out its quite possible that the classic MBP may have the ram soldered onto the logic board - there's no way to know.

You will still have the opportunity to buy the old version when the Haswell MBPs hit the streets, so you can decide then if you want to wait

damojag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. To be able to upgrade hardware myself is why I want the MBP - any idea what sort of price the Haswell will be? More expensive than the current MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.