Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi, I have a time machine backup of 220GB .

I need to restore it to a new Macbook with a newly installed SSD.

I connected the time machine and it says CALCULATING since 9 hours.

Why is that ? How much time does it normally take to calculate 220GB of data ?

Or is there is any other way to do this ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I should not take that long.

Walk me through a bit what you did? After you installed the SSD did you boot from the TM disk then use Disk Util to format? Then you tried to restore?

What year Macbook is it? If it is 2010 or newer you can command-r boot to Internet recovery and get to a screen where you can format the disk and reinstall the OS. Then you can use the TM disk with Migration Assistant to bring in your user account and data.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
1. Installed SSD. Installed OSX Lion to it.

2. Its a Macbook 2009 version. Runs awesomely fast since I installed the SSD. But I just need the TM restore done and then I will be happy.

3. Im using migration assistant and it says calculating since 9 hours.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
1. Installed SSD. Installed OSX Lion to it.

2. Its a Macbook 2009 version. Runs awesomely fast since I installed the SSD. But I just need the TM restore done and then I will be happy.

3. Im using migration assistant and it says calculating since 9 hours.

I would suggest instead of going through migration assistant just do a normal time machine restore from backup.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
And yes, apart from migration assistant, is there any other way to restore from a TM backup?
You can select individual files/folders and copy them from your TM to any place on your SSD.

I would actually recommend this method anyway since you're basically doing a clean install. The drawback is you'll have to reinstall 3rd party apps manually and reconfigure them all. (I don't consider this a drawback though as it contributes to the concept of a clean and pristine reinstallation of OSX).

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Checked it. I dont think, any of those methods are going to work, except migration assistant.
And TM doesnt allow you to copy system folders to restore manually.

The only way I see is migration assistant doing it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.