Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I was informed that an update was available for my 2 Apple TVs last night, so I installed both updates. This evening I'm watching Netflix and I get a connection error message. This is not terribly unusual, so I click on the menu/back button on the remote. This takes me back to Episodes screen for the TV show I'm watching ('Psych'), but I can STILL see the connection error message behind the episodes list. Even putting the Apple TV to sleep and then awakening it doesn't remove the message.

Weird. My Apple TVs have performed flawlessly since I bought them months ago, aside from Internet connectivity issues caused by my router and my ISP.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I was informed that an update was available for my 2 Apple TVs last night, so I installed both updates. This evening I'm watching Netflix and I get a connection error message. This is not terribly unusual, so I click on the menu/back button on the remote. This takes me back to Episodes screen for the TV show I'm watching ('Psych'), but I can STILL see the connection error message behind the episodes list. Even putting the Apple TV to sleep and then awakening it doesn't remove the message.

Weird. My Apple TVs have performed flawlessly since I bought them months ago, aside from Internet connectivity issues caused by my router and my ISP.

I have had all sorts of odd things happen since the last update but the one I notice the most is the Apple TV is sooooo slooooooow now. Slow to turn on and show the menu, slow to load an app, just slooooooow.

Also, on occasion I have no sound, or the sound, such as selecting or moving around icons will start 20 to 30 seconds after the menu shows.

I hope, hope HOPE Apple didn't do this on purpose to get people to buy the revised Apple TV to offer higher performance....I doubt they did, but something isn't right. It should not take 5 to 10 seconds to show the menu from sleep mode.

Capitalis

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
Ugh! Mine keeps going back to the home screen after about 5 minutes unless I'm streaming something.

Otherwise, even if I'm using the Radio or just pausing Netflix to get a snack, the stupid thing will go back to the home screen after a quick delay with the "loading" icon.

About to reset to factory but thought I might find something here. ATV2.

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Always completely unplug your ATV after an update. Wait a minute or so and then plug back in. This seems to clear its memory, cache, whatever, and everything will work fine.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I can't even install the latest update. Tried on two separate atv3s and it goes through the motions, then comes up with the message, Failed to install latest update.

Then everyday, I get the message....there's an update available with the install/do not install options presented. Most annoying.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't know if it's connected to the most recent update, but if I pause a program that I'm playing via Airplay, and I let enough time go by till the screen saver kicks in (two minutes in my case), it will make the Apple TV re-boot.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
I can't even install the latest update. Tried on two separate atv3s and it goes through the motions, then comes up with the message, Failed to install latest update.

Then everyday, I get the message....there's an update available with the install/do not install options presented. Most annoying.

Same here, 2 of the 3 wont install, the 3rd did install OK

Capitalis

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
Always completely unplug your ATV after an update. Wait a minute or so and then plug back in. This seems to clear its memory, cache, whatever, and everything will work fine.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot.

Capitalis

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
Update: Unplugging did not help my issue. I'll just take it in to the local Apple store and see if they have anything to say.

has.marvel

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
I got the update waiting message lately and finally got around to doing the update. It took over 2 hours for the update to prepare (download?). It was extremely slow. My internet connection is reasonably fast (30 mbps) and it was running fine during this time so it was either the Apple TV itself that was slow or the Apple servers. In any case, I hope it never happens again. That is just unacceptable for an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.