Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Very glad to hear this!

Does Feral make true Mac ports, or do they make those quasi-ports that run under emulators, as so many PC->Mac games seem to be?

Hackfix21

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
What do you think will be the system requirements? Any chance with Nvidia 9400m and Snow Leopard?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What do you think will be the system requirements? Any chance with Nvidia 9400m and Snow Leopard?

Based on the PC requirements, there's a chance. But I'm guessing it'll probably be 320M and up.

Very glad to hear this!

Does Feral make true Mac ports, or do they make those quasi-ports that run under emulators, as so many PC->Mac games seem to be?

True ports.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Very glad to hear this!

Companies like Feral and Aspyr have a good reputation for making "real" Mac ports. They do not go the garbage Cider/wrapper/emulator route like EA does.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
There has been a wine wrapper of XCOM: Enemy Unknown available for some time and people report that it runs with good frames on the 2012 Mac with HD4000.

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I got this game just before xmas (windows version) and I have been playing it a lot!!
The game is great!

Such a shame Feral announces a game just after I have bought and finished it in windows :(

If it gets on sale sometime in the future i'm likely to buy it, as I'm probably gonna play it again!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I got this game just before xmas (windows version) and I have been playing it a lot!!
The game is great!

Such a shame Feral announces a game just after I have bought and finished it in windows :(

If it gets on sale sometime in the future i'm likely to buy it, as I'm probably gonna play it again!

If you follow this thread: http://www.insidemacgames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37476&st=0 Feral posts clues about upcoming games. Xcom has been known since December. It can mitigate the issue of buying games before they are ported a little bit.

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I wish I knew that before. I haven't read img for years.
They should post official statements and not rumors if they want to keep people from buying pc versions instead.

Thanks for the feedback. Problem is if you announce/sign the contract too early you then get get loads of complaints if you don't ship the same minute as the PC also when you have a shipping date it's old news and sites don't give coverage. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes. :)

We are trying to get Mac/PC releases closer so this is less of an issue but it it was easy to do everyone would be doing it already :)

What is the likelihood this will be steamworks?

No Steam on launch. As for the rest, the future is not yet written as someone once said.

Edwin

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Thanks for the feedback. Problem is if you announce/sign the contract too early you then get get loads of complaints if you don't ship the same minute as the PC also when you have a shipping date it's old news and sites don't give coverage. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't sometimes. :)

We are trying to get Mac/PC releases closer so this is less of an issue but it it was easy to do everyone would be doing it already :)

No Steam on launch. As for the rest, the future is not yet written as someone once said.

Edwin

I know it is problematic to release games the same time as the PC counter part usually. I buy a lot of games, I mean a lot!
I very rarely buy games at release date unless it's one of a very few games that I really have to have, but I do usually pick them up after reviews are around and I've seen some gameplay videos or tried them at friends or similar. Or the first time they go on sale :)

I probably buy like 50 games a year and I have quite a collection of DVDs/CDs, I have over 400 games in my steam library and around 50 in my gog.com library, as well as about 10 games on Origin.

I would probably have bough pretty much all games Feral releases, except the fact that by the time I first hear that Feral is releasing a game, I have probably already bought it. Most of this is because you pretty much only release huge AAA titles, which I already have bought before. I'm not saying it's wrong to release AAA titles, but people that really want the game will already have bought it and installed it in windows with bootcamp.

With SSDs rebooting is less of an issue as well as wine running pretty decent now I believe many mac users just buy the PC version, instead of hoping that it will eventually be a mac version available.

Also not being on steam is quite an disadvantage. I'm no big fan of steam, however so many games require steam and because of that pretty much all gamers use steam. I am now using steam as my gaming social media. I have pretty much all the people I play games with on steam, so if I wanna play with something I log on steam to see if they are online. I do this regardless if the game I'm going to play is on steam or not.
This way I have my friends on other social media and my gamer friends on steam. Pretty much all but a few friends does game on PCs, so if a Mac port doesn't have compatible multiplayer with the PC version, then I won't be able to play it.

I really hope feral will be able to announce games pretty close to the PC release and hopefully get on steam, because I want your native mac games. However paying $30-60 for a game I already own and have played on windows will probably not happen.

I would really like to support Feral more, because I do believe from feedback around mac forums that you are probably the best mac developer and the support you have given on this and other forums over the last few years is exceptional.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I really hope feral will be able to announce games pretty close to the PC release and hopefully get on steam, because I want your native mac games. However paying $30-60 for a game I already own and have played on windows will probably not happen.

I would really like to support Feral more, because I do believe from feedback around mac forums that you are probably the best mac developer and the support you have given on this and other forums over the last few years is exceptional.

Thanks for the really kind words.

I can't say in detail what we are planning in the future on a public forum :) but I can say porting games quicker, better and offering our games on a wider range of stores are things we try and constantly improve year on year.

What does that mean for Mac/PC multiplayer?

We have not announced any specifications yet but if Mac <-> PC multiplayer is technically feasible on a game we always take the time to make it work.

We plan on explaining the spec, multiplayer features (including Mac<->PC compatibility) and the meaning of life closer to release.

Edwin

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I'm looking forward to it.

I hear it's not as good as the original, but it should still be good then.

Jeeg

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
I noticed this game is on the Mac Store now, has anyone tried it yet? tempted to spend some gift cards on this.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I noticed this game is on the Mac Store now, has anyone tried it yet? tempted to spend some gift cards on this.

I second this! Just saw it appear in Mac App Store. Very very tempted, but it's so new there is not a single star-rating or review.

I'd like to hear initial impressions first.

ALSO.... regarding the Mac App Store, I wish Feral would be more forthcoming in how the Mac App Store download version handles online multiplayer. I mean, does it (the App Store version) even HAVE online play? Game Center integration at least? The App Store description does not address these questions. We are all aware that some OSX games in the App Store have been crippled so as to not have online multiplayer capabilities.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.