Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
IMG_0228.JPG :apple:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The full moon (called the "Snow Moon" in February) rose over Lake Bled yesterday, and I had the pleasure of catching it from the peak of a nearby hill. The hike back down after dark was actually a lot easier in the snow than it was when I did it in the summer. The snow amplified the light from my headlamp, making it even easier to see where I was going, and falling in deep snow is a lot less worrisome than taking a tumble on the rocks that are exposed in warmer weather.

(Click to enlarge)

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Sorry, no amazing landscapes to share but I'll show you a photo I took when I went shopping in Milton Keynes today :)

miltonkeynes.jpg

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Awesome shot. As an aspiring bird/wildlife photographer, do you have any hints, tips or reccomendations for getting shots like this?

Thank you rymack,

Looks like you have all the right gear….your D7000 and the 70-300mm will work very well for wildlife and birds.

Settings and such that work for me

• I leave my tripod at home as I often have to move quickly. I always have my camera and lens attached to a monopod just in case. I find it an easy way to carry the weight and only extend the monopod when needed
  • Metering: Matrix – 39 point
  • Focus: Continuous servo/single point/release priority
  • ISO: 100 to 800 depending on available light (I have my ISO adjustment set to the sub-command dial for quick adjustment)
  • Aperture priority: Usually wide open unless I get unusually close
  • Shutter: I try to keep my shutter speed > 1/2,000 (I'm normally shooting hand-held and want to be ready for a flight-shot)
  • I don’t use burst shooting but many do. I just find that I can shoot at about 2 frames/second without burst if necessary and I just don’t want (or need) to sift through more shots than necessary.
You want to learn as much as you can about wildlife and birds, their habitat, what they eat, migratory patterns, etc. because knowing where and when to look is one of the most important things you need to know.

You want to find wildlife and birds in their natural habitat. Around here in an urban area, that means large designated/protected conservation areas that are a mix of forest and marshland. These areas provide a natural habitat with a source of food. Parks with picnickers, families and dogs are not going to be your best choice. Also, don't forget the fun you can have with a bird feeder and bath in your own yard if you have one.

For the most part, birders and wildlife photographers enjoy sharing information about sightings, especially the more exotic or rare sightings…check for a local or regional online forum. You can also join a local photography club where you can learn and share information about wildlife, birds and photography. Most of these clubs are an awesome resource.

IMO, wildlife and bird photography is truly a great experience that combines the best of the outdoors, nature, photography and the great people that seem to be drawn to these pursuits.

Remember, be respectful of the wildlife, birds and their habitat…if a sign says "Stay on the Trail" type thing then of course, stay on the trail...even if it means missing a sought after shot, have fun and come back and post your shots.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006

Why by xmunos, on Flickr

This was taken with two lenses, the first, attached to the camera, was an Industar-69 (custom modified to shorten min. focus distance). The second, handheld off camera, was a Fujian 25mm f/1.4 CCTV lens. Both shot wide open. Fun late night shot!

rymack

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Thank you rymack,

Looks like you have all the right gear….your D7000 and the 70-300mm will work very well for wildlife and birds.

Settings and such that work for me…

• I leave my tripod at home as I often have to move quickly. I always have my camera and lens attached to a monopod just in case. I find it an easy way to carry the weight and only extend the monopod when needed
  • Metering: Matrix – 39 point
  • Focus: Continuous servo/single point/release priority
  • ISO: 100 to 800 depending on available light (I have my ISO adjustment set to the sub-command dial for quick adjustment)
  • Aperture priority: Usually wide open unless I get unusually close
  • Shutter: I try to keep my shutter speed > 1/2,000 (I'm normally shooting hand-held and want to be ready for a flight-shot)
  • I don’t use burst shooting but many do. I just find that I can shoot at about 2 frames/second without burst if necessary and I just don’t want (or need) to sift through more shots than necessary.
You want to learn as much as you can about wildlife and birds, their habitat, what they eat, migratory patterns, etc. because knowing where and when to look is one of the most important things you need to know.

You want to find wildlife and birds in their natural habitat. Around here in an urban area, that means large designated/protected conservation areas that are a mix of forest and marshland. These areas provide a natural habitat with a source of food. Parks with picnickers, families and dogs are not going to be your best choice. Also, don't forget the fun you can have with a bird feeder and bath in your own yard if you have one.

For the most part, birders and wildlife photographers enjoy sharing information about sightings, especially the more exotic or rare sightings…check for a local or regional online forum. You can also join a local photography club where you can learn and share information about wildlife, birds and photography. Most of these clubs are an awesome resource.

IMO, wildlife and bird photography is truly a great experience that combines the best of the outdoors, nature, photography and the great people that seem to be drawn to these pursuits.

Remember, be respectful of the wildlife, birds and their habitat…if a sign says "Stay on the Trail" type thing then of course, stay on the trail...even if it means missing a sought after shot, have fun and come back and post your shots.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks so much for the fantastic information!

I dont have a monopod, but I do have a fairly light tripod that I typically use as a make-shift monopod. The hardest thing I find about bird/wildlife photography is getting my images SHARP. I know this has to do with my shutter speed, so I will work on tweaking my ISO and aperture to achieve a faster shutter speed.

I am slowly learning more and more about birds and habitat, and try to apply what I know where I can. I need to do this more though, haha.:eek:

THanks again, it is much appreciated!

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
I haven't been here for a while. Good to see the usual high quality and wide range of pictures. Here's a recent one from me. It was taken at Tamar Lake Water Park in Devon. There was virtually no wind, so the clouds were reflected very clearly in the lake.

EOS 1000D/Exposure 0.005 sec/f8/22 mm/ISO 200

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.