Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Given the British public and government officials current disdain for corruption due the long gestating Rupert Murdoch debacle Apple should investigate some alternate channels to get solutions, hell I wouldn't be against them dragging this crook through the mud publicly in Britain and see if they can get some justice. When people are dirty like that they tend to have skeletons in the closet that could use some unearthing.

Why stop there?

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!
He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;
To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen--

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Why stop there?

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!
He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;
To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen--
Brilliant

Attachments

• get-on-with-it1.png
    get-on-with-it1.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 65

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Coming so soon after his rulings in the Apple case this does sound fishy. Even if he didn't get paid off, it makes you wonder how impartial he was during the case. Especially since the punishment given out was equivalent to spanking Apple publicly to shame them.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Coming so soon after his rulings in the Apple case this does sound fishy. Even if he didn't get paid off, it makes you wonder how impartial he was during the case. Especially since the punishment given out was equivalent to spanking Apple publicly to shame them.

He was not the judge ruling the publicity punishment

----------

Are you accusing judge Jacob of corruption?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

again:

This judge was NOT the judge that issued the verdict.

This judge was part of a tribunal which ruled unanimously against Apple's appeal of the original verdict.

he was also part of the tribunal that reduced the requirements of the initial judges decision.

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Hmm, companies seem to do these things all the time, my question is, I wonder what Apple has done?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
A UK judge who was involved in a case in which Apple was ordered to publish a notice on its website saying that Samsung's Galaxy Tab did not copy the registered design for the iPad has been hired by Samsung as a patent expert in a separate legal battle with Ericsson...

This makes it sound like Samsung have hired the judge when it is not actually the case.

When contacted by the BBC, Samsung noted that it had not directly employed the professor.

"A highly reputed intellectual property expert and academic, Sir Robin has been contracted as an expert by a law firm that represents Samsung Electronics in its case against Ericsson," it said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21613152

ULFoaf

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
The Bayou City, USA
Ethical?

This is ethical for a British judge to serve a consultant to a company for whom she ruled in favor? Smacks of "We'll give you some work if you make things go our way.. (wink, wink)." Or even for a judge to give opinions in a court when they are not the judge? I wouldn't think the acting judge would be too pleased with that!

I could be wrong, but I've never heard of an ACTIVE judge doing that in the United States. Retired ones, I think so.

NoneOfYourB

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Love all the tin foil hats people are wearing. This stuff happens all the time. And by this stuff - I don't mean what's being implied on this thread. I mean hiring EXPERTS as consultants.

Yeah, why would you hire a lawyer when you can hire the Judge.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The Judge was hired AFTER the ruling was made against Apple last year!

Nothing to see here. Move along people...

Excuse me, but _if_ there was some wrongdoing, then that's exactly what you would expect: Judge is promised a well-paying job, decides a court case in favour of his future employer, and _after_ the ruling he is hired. Quite obviously if the judge was hired _before_ the ruling, he wouldn't be allowed to make any ruling.

He was not working for Samsung at the time.
There is no evidence he was receiving money from Samsung at the time.
What's the issue here?

Being offered a well paying job is about the same as being given money. Ignoring the fact that we don't know if there was any wrongdoing, paying money _at that time_ would be such an idiotic thing to do, I couldn't imagine Samsung being so stupid.

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Just shows

that judges in the UK are just as corrupt as they are in the U.S., nothing more. It's good in a way to see that UK judges are corrupt too.

Judges including SCOTUS, congressmen, heads of government agencies, and more all trade votes and influence for money and future "jobs".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
As I said, Florian Mueller has got what he intended, he has spread FUD.

Sure. He is paid to do that, and that's what he does. A judge, on the over hand, is supposed to be impartial. So you can't compare them. Anyway, FUD is the wrong term. No F involved here.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sure. He is paid to do that, and that's what he does. A judge, on the over hand, is supposed to be impartial. So you can't compare them. Anyway, FUD is the wrong term. No F involved here.

Are you implying the FORMER judge needs to be impartial?

p.s. "A highly reputed intellectual property expert and academic, Sir Robin has been contracted as an expert by a law firm that represents Samsung Electronics in its case against Ericsson," it said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.