Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacUpdate and MacLegion to promote their Mac application bundle deals. Today, both sites have launched their latest deals which each bundle 10 Mac Apps for a discounted price for $49.99.

macupdate2x.png
MacUpdate

MacUpdate's latest bundle delivers 10 Mac applications for $49.99 (a $618 value if all purchased separately). Notably, it includes Parallels Desktop 8, virtualization software that lets you run Windows side-by-side with Mac OS X.

The full bundle includes (retail value in parenthesis):

- Parallels Desktop 8 ($79.99) - Run Windows on your Mac.
- DEVONthink Pro ($79.95) - Information manager.
- Prizmo ($49.95) - Scan any file to create editable documents.
- MacUpdate Desktop ($10.00) - Keep your Mac software updated.
- MotionComposer ($149.00) - Design animated and interactive Web content.
- 1000 OpenType fonts Collection ($99.00) - OpenType Fonts.
- iStat Menus ($16.00) - Monitor your Mac from the menubar.
- PhotoStyler 6 ($29.99) - Stylize your photos with filters, presets, more.
- DiskAid 6 ($29.90) - Flexible file transfer tool for iOS.
- Mac Internet Security 2013 ($29.99) - Macware and anti-virus utility.

MacUpdate Total: $49.99

maclegion.jpg
MacLegion

MacLegion's latest bundle delivers 10 different Mac applications for $49.99 (a $393 value if all purchased separately).

- Toast ($99.99) - Burn CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray.
- Set for iWork ($69.00) - Designs/Templates for Pages, Numbers and Keynote.
- Launchbar ($35.00) - Keyboard driven utility to control your Mac.
- TasksBox ($24.99) - Task manager.
- Animationist ($29.99) - Title art animations for your videos.
- iFinance ($29.99) - Manange your finances.
- Habits ($19.99) - Create new habits and resolutions.
- MainMenu Pro ($9.99) - Maintenance tool for your Mac.
- Corel Paint it! ($39.99) - Transform photos into paintings.
- Stationery Pack 2 ($24.99) - Turn photos into greeting cards.

MacLegion Total: $49.99

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate and MacLegion. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Article Link: Mac App Bundle Sales: Parallels Desktop 8, Toast and More

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Hmmmm. Pass. Looks like they're just recycling previously offered apps + a few others.

Nothing 'must have' as far as I can see. Shame. I was up for an impulse buy too:D

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Would this essentially be the cheapest way to get Parallels if I've never purchased it before?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The MacUpdate bundle seems to be the best deal. Motion Composer interests me, and if I got the bundle for that alone I've already saved $100. I use Fusion, so Parallels doesn't interest me. But that's a really good deal, too.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
Been waiting for Paralells 8. Now I can get it for my Lion. I will get the MacUpdate but will have to look over the Mac Legion offer, I may get it for Toast and I love 'Corel Paint It' on my iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you already have a virtualization application (vmware or parallels) then the bundle is less appealing which is my case.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Every time I buy one of these bundles, the only app I wanted of the bunch has a (paid) upgrade in the near future, and I end up having to pay full price for it anyway, plus the price of the bundle.

----------

OMG!!!!!!!! I just noticed I get "MacUpdate Desktop" too! A $10 value... included! Now it's on. That one app puts me over the fence.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Does anybody know if its possible to install Parallels without it adding Mac shell app shortcuts for every app on your Windows image?

It did that once for me and I switched to VMWare.

EDIT: Bought it anyway. I gave my VMWare license to a family member recently because I wasn't using it, and MotionComposer looks like just the kind of thing I need right now.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The MacUpdate bundle seems to be the best deal. Motion Composer interests me, and if I got the bundle for that alone I've already saved $100. I use Fusion, so Parallels doesn't interest me. But that's a really good deal, too.

the Parallels Desktop 8 worth it for 49.99 alone. its a good deal!

Thanks for the feedback!

The Fusion vs Parallels is a whole other conversation I guess though.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Damn... The purchase of MacUpdate already puts the icing on the cake with Parallels. Nice deal.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Can I download Parallels 8 only or do I have to download everything?

Last time I purchased from MacUpdate I could choose which of the apps in the bundle to download. When you buy you get an email with download links and associated serial numbers as well as the option to download the full bundle.

MacLegion

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Boulder, CO
Howdy guys 'n gals, I'm Nate Houle, founder of MacLegion. Just wanted to let you know I'm here if you have any questions. This isn't a plug, just trying to help. There are a couple apps in our bundle I use daily and if you haven't used 'em I'd urge you to try, (free trials available on our site) LaunchBar, TasksBox, Habits and MainMenu Pro. I literally use all those apps every day... Well, I just started using TasksBox as the debut release paralleled our bundle launch so it was just made available to the public today. I've been using Wunderlist but TasksBox seems like an even better alternative, really excited to try out the iOS companion apps for it. Also, MUPromo has a couple apps in their bundle I use often. If you haven't tried iStat Menus, DiskAid or DEVONthink Pro, definitely give those a try. DEVONthink Pro is really good at what it does but I don't really use it as much now that I'm out of school. Anyway, don't hesitate to ask any questions or give us feedback related to the bundle, our site, future offerings, and/or any ideas you may have... Or just say "hi".

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Mac Internet Security 2013

that's worth a whole lot more than 29 dollars.

Hell the peace of mind is worth that.

Yep, I've been using that since ... well, never.

And yet somehow I've never had a security issue. And I use MS Office.

----------

Would this essentially be the cheapest way to get Parallels if I've never purchased it before?

It's been cheaper at Amazon, but $50 is a a fair price and you get some vaguely useful freebies to go with it.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Every time I buy one of these bundles, the only app I wanted of the bunch has a (paid) upgrade in the near future, and I end up having to pay full price for it anyway, plus the price of the bundle.

Funny, I've always been able to keep using whatever version I got.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Does anybody know if its possible to install Parallels without it adding Mac shell app shortcuts for every app on your Windows image?

It did that once for me and I switched to VMWare.

EDIT: Bought it anyway. I gave my VMWare license to a family member recently because I wasn't using it, and MotionComposer looks like just the kind of thing I need right now.

Yeah, during the initial setup when you reach the end, I think it's Configure Advanced Settings. There are options in there to disable sharing of Mac apps with Windows, and vice versa. I also disable coherence, because I prefer Window view for most of my tasks.

Can I download Parallels 8 only or do I have to download everything?

You can buy the package to just get the product key, and download the trial version directly from Parallels. Use the key to activate. That way, you don't ever have to worry about the bundle having an out of date package.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Useless. Almost if not all apps in these bundles have been offered in a number of bunles a number of times i think even Bill Gates have few by now.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
DevonThink is awesome. I bought a Fujitsu ScanSnap sheetfed scanner adn went totally paperless in my home office. DevonThink's organization and search capabilities are awesome.

Not affiliated with DT at all, just a very satisfied customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.