Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Hi Folks,

Right now I am using a single 27" 2560x1440 display and moving back to smaller but multiple monitors. I am wondering if my current (see sig) Mac Pro 4,1 with the GTX 670 (ZOTAC) and GT 120 will be able to handle 4 x 1080p displays. I will be using the 4 x 24" monitors in portrait mode until I can get a stand for a 2 X 2 configuration. The monitors support DVI only. I will be using them for multitasking and media work.

I have:
- GTX 670 (2x DVI-D, 1x HDMI, 1x DP)
- GT 120 (1x DVI-D, 1x MDP)
- Will buy MDP -> DVI or DP -> DVI adapter if needed
- NOT WILLING TO BUY ANOTHER GRAPHIC CARD.

Will I be able to drive the 4 displays from which one of these 3 configurations?

CONFIGURATION 1
Wy2Nx56.jpg

CONFIGURATION 2
pxx2anl.jpg

CONFIGURATION 3
s3JXLSb.jpg

Last edited:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Any of those configurations would work, and my suggestion would be to try config 2 if at all possible (i.e. drive everything from the GTX 670). Config 1 would be the second best choice, followed by config 3.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Any of those configurations would work, and my suggestion would be to try config 2 if at all possible (i.e. drive everything from the GTX 670). Config 1 would be the second best choice, followed by config 3.

Nice! Thanks for the reply. I have put the order in for the displays. I'll definitely try driving everything from the GTX 670. I know the 670 is capable of running 4 monitors (or 3 if they are 3D) in Windows with Nvidia Surround but haven't found any information that can prove they work in OS X. I will put in an order for the DP -> DVI, HDMI -> DVI and a MDP -> DVI for testing.

If they can be driven off the single card, then I might be able to do a bit of gaming with the GTX 670. Otherwise, the 670 is a bit overkill for productivity and media work. I might downgrade to 2 X APPLE GT120 cards (or 2X 5770) a few months from now.

Do you know if it makes a difference if it is DVI or DVI-D? The monitors say they use DVI-D.

Last edited:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
People have definitely confirmed that the Kepler cards can drive 4 displays under OS X using the NVIDIA driver for 10.8.2.

DVI-D means digital only, i.e. you can't drive an analog display from that connector:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

In your case, that won't matter and DVI-D is just fine since you're driving a digital display.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
People have definitely confirmed that the Kepler cards can drive 4 displays under OS X using the NVIDIA driver for 10.8.2.

DVI-D means digital only, i.e. you can't drive an analog display from that connector:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

In your case, that won't matter and DVI-D is just fine since you're driving a digital display.

Good to hear that it might work. I assume these would be sufficient.

GfW5upF.png

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Why the 2 different DP to DVI adapters.

Remember that DP has a standard single link dvi feed as part of it's "legacy" component. This is merely passed through via a passive adapter. Only if you need to drive a DVI display beyond 1920x1200 do you need the Dual Link Active one.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Why the 2 different DP to DVI adapters.

Remember that DP has a standard single link dvi feed as part of it's "legacy" component. This is merely passed through via a passive adapter. Only if you need to drive a DVI display beyond 1920x1200 do you need the Dual Link Active one.

When I tried to order, the active MDP - DVI adapter went out of stock so I just got the passive MDP -> DVI adapter. The other one is a full size display port -> DVI adapter because I would like to try all the configurations.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
So I got the displays and have three of them running currently in portrait mode. The issue is that the display connected to the GT120 is not working, get a BLACK SCREEN WITH CURSOR. Only works when it is in landscape. Googled it and found out that a lot of people seem to have this issue.

They are connected like this at the moment:
GTX 670: DISPLAY LEFT / DISPLAY CENTER (DVI)
GT120: DISPLAY RIGHT

I have tried to connect the RIGHT display via MDP->VGA but still the same thing. I downloaded the Nvidia driver for Mac and that made things worse (graphical bugs and broken UI), so I uninstalled it.

I just can't seem to get the display connected to the GT120 to work in portrait. I am still waiting on getting the adapters so I can use the RIGHT and FAR LEFT display connected to the GTX670.

Any help appreciated.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
UPDATE:

Removed the GT120 and have two monitors connected to the GTX670 in portrait via DVI. Works just fine. As for the other two displays, I ordered a HDMI->DVI and a DP->DVI cable. Will test once I receive them.

Driven off the singe GTX670 in the system.
Rrigs1M.png

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Got the cables. Works just fine, 4 displays are being driven off the single GTX670.

dE5aNjn.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.