Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of a South by Southwest promotion, Marvel has announced (via The New York Times) that it is giving away more than 700 of its No.1 issues through its Marvel Comics iOS app and web store.

marvelfreeissues.jpg
"This is the perfect way to show everyone how much we believe in our material by letting them try the first issues for free, because we're sure once they start, they won't stop," says Marvel SVP - Sales, Digital & Print David Gabriel. "Week in and week out we ask fans to come check out our new releases--both in print and digitally--with the promise that we'll bring them the best comics made by the best talent and managed by the best editorial team in the industry. Now, existing and news fans [alike] can discover the heroes they know and love and learn about new ones all at the same time."
The inaugural issue of each comic book line can be downloaded for free, a significant discount from the standard $1.99 to $3.99 price. Marvel is running the promotion in order to attract new readers, offering recent comics like Uncanny Avengers and All-New X-Men alongside classics like Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

Marvel's sale began on Sunday night and will last through Tuesday at 11 p.m. Eastern time. The comics can be downloaded via the web or through the Marvel Comics app.

Article Link: Marvel Releases 700 First Issue Comics for Free via Marvel Comics iOS App

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Meh.

I guess it's good to get new readers hooked... useless if you're already a fan and read most of these before.

kgallag1

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Dorval, Quebec
Kinda neat for someone like me. I've read a few comics here and there, but didn't get into them when I was younger. Often liked the stories, though, so having a bunch of intros could be fun.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Good for those who like Marvel comics I guess. Not a comic reader myself so have no idea how good they are.

Thank Disney for this one tho :)

SoldOnApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Why not make all issue 1's free forever? If you like the first issue, then you'll buy the rest, surely.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So there are 700 comics available to download and the promotion expires tomorrow night? No wonder their servers are getting absolutely crushed.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
So there are 700 comics available to download and the promotion expires tomorrow night? No wonder their servers are getting absolutely crushed.

Yep. I agree they should make them free in perpetuity. I managed to load the front page of their webstore today. once. But it's hopeless trying to get any further. Here's hoping they'll fix it by the time the sale runs out!

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
here's an idea, for both them and for apple's itunes TV shows, always have the first episode for free. Maybe even the first 10-15 minutes of any movie. For movies, you lose nothing by doing this, and for TV shows, I can just about guarantee you will get more people to buy the 2nd episodes and maybe get hooked on the show than you will lose a couple dollars from someone who was going to buy the whole show anyway. I know apple would love to do this, we just need to get the networks/studios to get their head out of their asses.

TL;DR-Season 1, episode 1 should always be free.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I gather they've pulled the sale for now till they fix the server issues. The few times I can get onto the sale page, the comics are coming up @$1.99 or $3.99, not free.
Am downloading the app on my iPhone to see if that's any better

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
It was crashing ComiXology as well (those of us who have our Marvel accounts synched). I tried to pick up Sif & Rescue #1's, it sees that I purchased them, but it will not let me download at all (I get download errors).

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I hope Marvel extends the deal to compensate for this prolonged **** up with their servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.