Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pueblo

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2009
Smart marketing, IT headache

Error, error, error..."not recognized", and all these types of problems even 12 hours later.
Obvious they did not prepare for this campaign. Achieved the opposite they were going for.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Error, error, error..."not recognized", and all these types of problems even 12 hours later.
Obvious they did not prepare for this campaign. Achieved the opposite they were going for.

Completely agree. I'm much more annoyed now than looking forward to reading some issues.

By time they fix this I'll probably have moved on to something else and forget about this.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
So their solution to high demand is to stop providing the product. Well, that'll make sure all the sorta-fans that were kinda checking this out will not become actual customers.

They are going to reoffer the free issues in the future (there is a sign up to be notified when it happens) after they have their servers in a state where people can actually claim them instead of getting errors. Don't forget that thousands of people trying to download 700 comics for nothing pretty much shut down their actual business and service for two whole days while their servers were down. I couldn't even download comics that I already owned that weren't on my device. Free comics isn't a product it's a promotion and one that is still being offered once they are actually capable of doing it.

Obviously they dropped the ball big time, but they didn't just cancel the promotion.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
They are going to reoffer the free issues in the future (there is a sign up to be notified when it happens) after they have their servers in a state where people can actually claim them instead of getting errors. Don't forget that thousands of people trying to download 700 comics for nothing pretty much shut down their actual business and service for two whole days while their servers were down. I couldn't even download comics that I already owned that weren't on my device. Free comics isn't a product it's a promotion and one that is still being offered once they are actually capable of doing it.

Obviously they dropped the ball big time, but they didn't just cancel the promotion.

Where is the sign up? I got an email from comixology, but the marvel app had nothing.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Now that the server load has dropped off, I was able to download the comics that I "bought" when this promotion was running. Everything seems to be working now, although the app itself is clunky and the comics don't go into iBooks. They also appear to be in a strange format as I can't find any PDF or ePub files when I poke around in the app data.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Now that the server load has dropped off, I was able to download the comics that I "bought" when this promotion was running. Everything seems to be working now, although the app itself is clunky and the comics don't go into iBooks. They also appear to be in a strange format as I can't find any PDF or ePub files when I poke around in the app data.

Ever heard of DRM? You're not going to find pdf or ePub files, nor are you going to be able to open them in iBooks.
DRM is the whole reason Marvel got into this problem in the first place

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Ever heard of DRM? You're not going to find pdf or ePub files, nor are you going to be able to open them in iBooks.
DRM is the whole reason Marvel got into this problem in the first place

Yes, I have heard of DRM but this is the first mention of it in the thread. It's only reasonable to expect that books bought in iOS would end up in iBooks, so upon finding that they don't I decided to post in the thread and let everyone know. For people that want "normal" ebooks, they can save themselves the struggle when the promotion resumes.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Yes, I have heard of DRM but this is the first mention of it in the thread. It's only reasonable to expect that books bought in iOS would end up in iBooks, so upon finding that they don't I decided to post in the thread and let everyone know. For people that want "normal" ebooks, they can save themselves the struggle when the promotion resumes.

Only purchases made in the iBooks store will automatically appear in iBooks. For the kind of integration you're looking for iBooks would have to be part of the operating system, which of course it currently is not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.