Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arbourable

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
I was at a Tesco Store today (Mansfield in the UK) and found the iPad display models had been unplugged from the power and the cables were nowhere to be seen. Consequently, they were both out of battery (it was 2:30 in the afternoon). Right next to the Apple display was a Samsung booth, complete with two Samsung reps. They were on a mission to sell all manner of Samsung devices to the good people of Mansfield and to train Tesco staff on the finer points of selling Samsung goods. Now, call me paranoid, but I think its obvious that either Tesco staff or the Samsung reps had sabotaged the iPads!

If i'm right, it shows a) that Samsung Reps are not above being underhand b) they don't feel they can compete with Apple on a level playing field and c) Tesco staff are willing to be partial for whatever reason (a spiff perhaps?).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who knows if the practice is widespread, if I just happened across a couple of rogue reps, or if I'm being naive and this kind of thing goes on all the time.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Umm... So what? Display phones where I live are unplugged all the time. Did you not think maybe someone stole the charging cables? They aren't exactly cheap.
Either way, its a display iPad, not your cars brakes. Let it go.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I worked at a store that had a small electronics section over the holidays. We had 3 tablets on display. Out of all three months I worked there, we only had 1 tablet operational, and only for 3 weeks at that.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I was at a Tesco Store today (Mansfield in the UK) and found the iPad display models had been unplugged from the power and the cables were nowhere to be seen. Consequently, they were both out of battery (it was 2:30 in the afternoon). Right next to the Apple display was a Samsung booth, complete with two Samsung reps. They were on a mission to sell all manner of Samsung devices to the good people of Mansfield and to train Tesco staff on the finer points of selling Samsung goods. Now, call me paranoid, but I think its obvious that either Tesco staff or the Samsung reps had sabotaged the iPads!

If i'm right, it shows a) that Samsung Reps are not above being underhand b) they don't feel they can compete with Apple on a level playing field and c) Tesco staff are willing to be partial for whatever reason (a spiff perhaps?).

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who knows if the practice is widespread, if I just happened across a couple of rogue reps, or if I'm being naive and this kind of thing goes on all the time.

lol, just lol. Really, this was your conclusion????

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I think its more likely that tesco staff have nicked the cables for their own idevices.

Or if you want a real conspiracy maybe you should starting testing the tesco own brand burgers for traces of apple cables.:D

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA

Yet another example of Apple users thinking the world is out to get the company that you BUY FREAKING ELECTRONICS FROM.

Get over it. Who cares if they did or not?

Do you not have more important things going on in your life? If not, congratulations. You have it good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.