Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It has become increasingly apparent in the last number of weeks that the Alternatives to iOS forum section has become a playground for the breeding of hatred, name-calling, hostility, and simply put.. utter nonsense.

Moderators have already had to step in and clean up a lot of threads.

All of which remind me of the early days of the gaming/console forum - when these silly wars broke out and in the end drastic action was taken and it restrictions were applied and the regulars began self regulating, to the point where any of the nonsense that now breeds in abundance in the Alternatives to iOS forum - is simply not tolerated by the regular members in those sections, and given a quick boot should start to rear its head by anyone.

Whilst it would be nice to see the "Alternatives fora" eventually do this, at the moment it's just a hive of hostility. Between irrational hatred of one brand over the other - even if both are android manufacturers, to the general lack of respect for others opinions.

So I'd rather not see the forum section go entirely, but what would be your thoughts on introducing more sanctions for rule fractions, dropping post counts - and if it doesn't begin regulating itself better then maybe look into the possibility of doing away with it entirely as a last resort. Moderators have too much breadth to cover on the forum as a whole without expecting them to spend more time in this section.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I understand your frustration but can I ask would that change anything?

If you recall people posted in the iPhone forums asking which phone was better, a given android phone or the iphone. This led to all sorts of off topic bickering and insults.

With the alternatives forum members can freely discuss non iOS devices, and ask about comparisons when trying to choose between an iOS device and an alternatives.

To be sure there is trolling, on both sides. Some members who are staunch iOS devotees and android users. My recommendation is to report any post that crosses the line and the moderation staff will review and act up on it in accordance to our guidelines.

Because you see a mod note or other evidence of moderation actions, that does not mean there is any sort of systematic problem, but rather the moderation staff working to ensure a smooth forum. Some forums are a bit more work then others given the nature of the technology and subject matter.

To summarize if the Alternatives forum was eliminated much of the discussions found there would be posted in other sub forums of MacRumors as it was before and it would cause more off topic issues.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I understand your frustration but can I ask would that change anything?

Possibly not, but it does make that section at times an incredibly hostile place to have a reasoned discussion about anything.

Every thread seems to be turned into a glorified piXXing contest, with playground taunts. It's laborious trying to have a discussion because there often is no discussion - its just pointless 'posturing' with hyperbole and semantics offered up as 'facts' rather than subjective opinion, and there is almost NO acceptance of others viewpoints or even the barest attempt to understand others. It's just not a nice place the majority of the time and that is indeed frustrating.

Its feels at times like the sole reason for its existence is not for educated reasoned debate or to aid posters indeed looking at alternatives to iOS hardware, but to act simply as a receptacle for the detritus that otherwise would go into the iPhone and iPad sections. :(

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From my perspective you're recommending throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As I mentioned the alternatives forum was created to allow members to discuss non iOS devices, when those threads were in the iPhone/iPad/iOS forums they created more problems and usually failed to provide the level of information that the thread was created for.

If you scan through the existing alternative's forum there are many threads that are very helpful providing technical support, information on up and coming devices and helping members decide which platform is right for them.

Yes there are posts that members cross the line and when the moderation staff is made aware of those, we act on it. The best way to improve that sub forum is to report violations and do not engage in other members attempts to derail threads.

Basically treat others with respect, if you're not interested in a given thread or forum then there's no need to enter into it and finally if you do see a problem report it since we may not be aware of the violation.

Last edited:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
You're right, it acts a receptacle for the utter crap that was all over the other iDevice forums. The iDevice forums are much better now than they were before the Alternatives forum was created.

It's kind of like a quarantine situation- you close the forum, the disease spreads elsewhere on the site.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We have a better Android forum here than pretty much any other Android related place combined to be honest. It's useful, it's multiple sided, and civilized. Sure, you get some of the bad Apples, but it could be worse. And it is worse pretty much everywhere else.

Just report it if you see something you don't like, and let the moderators deal with it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Lets get rid of it entirely. This a mac based forum initially. In other words, Apple centered. Here we can discuss stuff about Apple and its shortcumings, not about Samsung's or some other device. I am sure there are plenty of Android based forums our there.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
i don't get why people get so emotional about this stuff. Why can't you like Android, Windows phone, and iPhone at the same time, and discuss it?

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Lets get rid of it entirely. This a mac based forum initially. In other words, Apple centered. Here we can discuss stuff about Apple and its shortcumings, not about Samsung's or some other device. I am sure there are plenty of Android based forums our there.

Because sometimes people need to discuss Android devices vs iOS devices. I used that section with lots of questions when I came to switch from iPhone to an Android handset. When I asked them on Android Forums, while I would get lots of answers about Android questions, not very helpful answers were given when I asked about comparisons regarding iOS.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think having a separate forum for iOS alternatives is fine. Just don't go to that forum if you don't like it OP.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Because sometimes people need to discuss Android devices vs iOS devices. I used that section with lots of questions when I came to switch from iPhone to an Android handset. When I asked them on Android Forums, while I would get lots of answers about Android questions, not very helpful answers were given when I asked about comparisons regarding iOS.

Yes that is true, but as of late, the section has become a battle ground. At best behavior it is a breeding ground for trolls. Like cancer, it is best to cut it out before it spreads.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

I think you're taking the wall garden of apple too literally. Yes that forum attracts the cheerleaders of Apple and Google. Just ignore them. Your not going to rationalize with a hardcore fan.

But there's nothing wrong with having a forum about the competition. So what if its an apple site. Not wanting to discuss other options is being close minded.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I think you're taking the wall garden of apple too literally. Yes that forum attracts the cheerleaders of Apple and Google. Just ignore them. Your not going to rationalize with a hardcore fan.

But there's nothing wrong with having a forum about the competition. So what if its an apple site. Not wanting to discuss other options is being close minded.

I agree with you, but when it comes to civilized discussion. If civilized discussion can't be had, then the forum should cease to exist, simple.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I agree with you, but when it comes to civilized discussion. If civilized discussion can't be had, then the forum should cease to exist, simple.

If we eliminate that forum, do you feel that the iOS forums will always be filled with civilized discussion and debate and no mention of competition? Can the membership police themselves to "tow the line"?

Based on your statement and in conjunction with the recently published statistics on reported problems, the iPhone forum should be eliminated before the Alternatives forum.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I think people on this site need to grow thicker skin. If you don't like something, don't read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.