Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET reports that T-Mobile will finally announce plans to sell the iPhone at tomorrow's "Uncarrier" event in New York City.

T-Mobile, which is the only one of the four major U.S. carriers that does not currently offer the iPhone, originally confirmed that it would begin selling Apple products at some point in 2013.

tmobile.jpg
Image via @evleaks
In addition to an iPhone announcement, the event is expected to feature an announcement about T-Mobile's plan to end device subsidies and introduce contract free phones as part of an overall rebranding of the company.
The iPhone is critical to T-Mobile's plans to re-make itself as the "different" carrier. It will be the marquee product illustrating its new no-contract, no subsidy rules, where a customer pays a small fee upfront and pays a monthly charge on top of the service plan to cover the phone costs.
The carrier, which currently supports more than two million iPhones, is also said to be preparing to officially unveil its LTE network at tomorrow's event. iPhone pricing and availability has yet to be announced, though CNET's source notes that the phone will not be immediately available for purchase.

Article Link: Tomorrow's T-Mobile 'Uncarrier' Event to Include iPhone Announcement

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I wish we had a carrier like T-Mobile in Canada. The closest we have is Wind, but iPhones can't operate on their network :(

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
"From now on, many of the things are competitors do, we don´t."

WHAT??!

Do these guys even proofread their advertisements?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I would be all over this if either their coverage was any good, or they had a roaming agreement with another carrier to make up for the spotty coverage.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

WHAT??!

To be fair the ad is posted by evleaks which means Tmobile hasn't posted it and has time to proofread and release this ad...

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I wonder if AT&T will show up minutes before the announcement and say something crazy like an ex showing up at the wedding. Actually, I hope AT&T shows up and does something stupid! :D

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I wish we had a carrier like T-Mobile in Canada. The closest we have is Wind, but iPhones can't operate on their network :(

Can you get Virgin Mobile? I got my sister on it, started off with prepaid but then went in to ask a question and they were running a promotion and got her on a really wicked plan. She's only 17 so she doesn't use the data/calling enough to justify getting a $60+ plan. She gets a bit of data, unlimited texting(including picture messages), umlimited evenings and weekends from 7pm for $30! Perfect plan for a student.

Just checked website, they still have the plan.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Americans would not like paying $649 (Full price) for the iPhone :cool:

Let us see how t-mobile plans succeeds!! :)

They don't have to. At least not upfront. The Galaxy S3 for instance is only $69 upfront to get out the door and then $20 for 20 months. Even when combined with the $20 for the phone your rate plan on Tmobile still comes out cheaper than the other 3 carriers and once the device is paid off your bill drops. Whereas people on the other carriers continue paying the same high rate plans even if they do not upgrade to a new device after two years.

Tmobile could potentially change the game and have success with this method if they can probably educate and market it to consumers.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
The plan is either full price up front or a down payment with monthly installments tacked onto your cell bill.

when I said Plans -> I meant company plan aka direction (this uncarrier) not really the Individual Plan, Family Plan :p

I have done both (bought iPhones at retail as well as on contract); I think t-mobiles plans may be $10 to $20 more otherwise it is very good deal. Not sure if they have FAN accounts and discounts. For the base plan t-mobile should have allowed at least a 2GB ( unlimited text, talk and 2Gb for $50).

Will the iPhones be locked to t-mobile? can you repay the iPhone installment early? there are more questions. we will know more tomorrow.

Speedyparker87

Cancelled
Apr 4, 2010
Chicago
So t-mobile plans to end subsidies on phones or just offer a better non-contract price?

This could be very bad news if other carriers follow suit. iPhone would lose significant market share to cheap Android phones.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
AT&T shared data plan for me: $195
T-Mobile shared data plan for me: $115

The difference? AT&T actually gives me the "3G" and "4G" indicator, since it doesn't use the 1700 MHz moon-frequency everywhere like T-Mobile does.

Unless they have a 1700 MHz iPhone, or have re-farmed 100% of the areas I'm in, I'm going to stick with AT&T a big longer.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I'm fine with that if the monthly fee is low enough. I always factor in ~30 months worth of plan to the cost when I'm deciding which phone to get. If TMobile wants to sell me an iPhone for $650 and let me pay $20/month, that's a lot better than I get with AT&T right now.

Edit: of course, their coverage has to be at least as good as AT&T's in my area.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

WHAT??!

Considering it was likely a test ad and never used, I would say they probably do. Clearly, it was a leaked slide someone posted online.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
So t-mobile plans to end subsidies on phones or just offer a better non-contract price?

This could be very bad news if other carriers follow suit. iPhone would lose significant market share to cheap Android phones.

not really, there are already prepaid services which has cheaper options. I still think t-mobile will subsidize the iPhone by at least $50 to $150 (from the original retail price of $649).

The other prepaid carriers are doing this: cricket, straight talk and others.

abbstrack

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
SoCal

i did it. paid 849 for mine, and i am sans at&t headache because I can take my phone and leave whenever i want. I'll never pay a subsidized price again.

*i do understand there are people who can't afford to pay $900 for a phone upfront, so I agree not everyone will be happy with this arrangement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.