Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Becs86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Hi guys,

I am not computer savvy at all so I have no idea what the problem is with my Mac or how to fix it. I've got a Macbook pro version 10.6.8.

I ran software updates yesterday - nothing unusual happened but I didn't restart my computer after the updates had completed. Today, I got a message saying Sophos Anti-virus not running and also Finder is not responding.

I have no idea if these 2 issues are connected or not and not sure how to get Finder working again. I haven't run out of space on the hard drive which I see could be a cause for this.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated!!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As justperry say's, you do not need or want an AV package on your Mac...If you really feel that you must, then use the free ClamAV from the Mac App Store...It doesn't run in real time and won't mess up other things, but I have been running Macs for years without ever installing an AV package of any kind, and without any issues at all.

Becs86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Thanks for your advice!

How do I remove Sophos? I can't get into Applications to uninstall it there....

Becs86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Those instructions say to launch finder - that is the problem - I can't launch finder because it is stuck on Not responding

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
You said you didn't reboot after installing updates yesterday, but didn't mention anything about trying it after this problem started. If you haven't yet, reboot. If that fixes the problem, get rid of Sophos using the method posted above.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Those instructions say to launch finder - that is the problem - I can't launch finder because it is stuck on Not responding

You have the dock don't you, click onSystem Preferences, after launch go to Users & Groups, make a new Admin User Account, logout and into new User, is the Finder running there, if so you then can go ahead with deleting Sophos.
After you done this log into old User Account, did this solve the problem, if not go to the new User again and Open Terminal type or paste:

Suso rm /Users/****/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist
Hit enter
Enter password.
Log out and into old User, did this work?

**** = your normal user account name

Becs86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
I created a new Admin user - logged in and Finder does not work in there either

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.